Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are the 3 seat heater settings off, off, and barely noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's pretty funny, and completely accurate. I once accidentally switched the seat heater on high and did not notice. On a sunny 85F degree day.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
565 Posts
I'd agree that the Outback's heated seats aren't as hot as some other cars I've been in, but that doesn't bother me. I've never used high in the other cars for more than a few minutes. I'm just interested in taking the chill off on cold days, so the Outback settings work great for me.

My wife would prefer a hotter high setting, but she still thinks its a lot better than not having heated seats at all.

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
My 17 Ob seat heaters on 3 equal my other car on 1. Disappointed but not worth any thought. Surprised though, almost laughable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does yours get warm or hot?

It's no where near as warm as any other car I have ever been in

Mine get hot. I guess I was unaware there were differences from car to car.

I had a 16 legacy and they got hot and so does my 17 OB. I don't mind being cold and live in Fargo, so maybe there are some differences in tolerances. Gets hot fast and I'm turning down within 10 minutes.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
I've noticed same lack of heat. My '13 Chevy Sonic had simple 1 setting seat heaters that would get HOT in 30 seconds.

The OB seat heaters isn't a big deal. Hardly need seat heat but maybe a month out of the year.

What I wish Subaru offered was ventilated seats. The ventilated seats in my wife's Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk are awesome!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
,,,,,,,,,, I've never used high in the other cars for more than a few minutes. ..........
When my 03 Jetta caught fire to my wife on a long road trip I searched the VW forums. I found out that was common.

When I was dating my wife I had a Carrola. If I stopped for gas on the 3 hour drive down it wouldn't restart.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
97 Posts
I would agree with the O.P. on his post.

Nada
Barely noticeable
Noticeable but not very impressive

In hot weather I would know seats were on high, but other setting IDK. The steering wheel heat is noticeable. Fortunately my OB is garage kept in a mild winter climate.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium PZEV
27 Posts
Set the typical Wisconsin winter scene: A 2016 Outback Premium with cloth upholstery. It's dark out in the parking lot where the car has been sitting for 9.5 hours in the cold. I'm wearing a suitable winter coat and jeans. Start the car and put the seat heater on HIGH. Drive for less than 5 minutes and the coolant temp gauge hasn't even reached the midpoint yet and I have to lower the bun warmer to LOW. It stays there the rest of the trip.
Heated seats were one of the reasons I considered the Premium package a must-have.
I don't even have a theory as to why they don't seem to be performing well for some owners.

·
Registered
2016 OB premium w/ eyesight & blindspot det.
22 Posts
Spiderman's experience is the same as my '16 with cloth seats. High quickly is too hot to sit on. I start on low, and turn it off after about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
I live in Michigan and can only keep the seats on high for 5 to 10 minutes. Then I have to turn them down or off. My previous car, a Buick LaCrosse seat heaters were about the same. Everybody has different opinions of what is hot and what is not.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
97 Posts
I was just playing around with my digital infrared thermometer and recorded the heated seat temperature at the various settings. I only checked the drivers seat. This is after 10 minutes at each setting.

Low- no change but ambient air temp is 85*
Med- 90*
High-95*
Steering wheel 95*

Reactions: tuswm and SubbaruOB

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I was just playing around with my digital infrared thermometer and recorded the heated seat temperature at the various settings. I only checked the drivers seat. This is after 10 minutes at each setting.

Med- 90*
High-95*
Steering wheel 95*
Great. I love the engineering types among us. They provide information that one can use rather than opinions and inuandoes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts

Med- 90*
High-95*
Steering wheel 95*

85 will seam quite warm when it is 5 degrees out. Plus the heat will transfer more efficiently to the driver when they are actually sitting on the seat and compressing the materials flat between the heating element and the persons body. It is possible that there is some foam between the seating surface and the heating element. I used to do van conversions and the material of the seats we installed had a thin layer if foam on the backside to give the seat a smoother finish. Then you had the foam that made up the seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I find that if I leave the heater set to on all the time, it is less hot than if I sat in a cold seat and turned it on.

However, this could just be due to feeling the temperature difference.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Med- 90*
High-95*
Steering wheel 95*
What year and model do you have. Leather?

I actually wanted to try this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts