Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 limited Outback 2.5i, pzev, rear seat protectors, Venetian red pearl, all weather floor mats, rear cargo net, viper remote start, puddle lights, body side molding,
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if it's possible or even remotely sensible to equip a non-SAP car with the memory buttons. I have a limited and thought it would be really cool to have this, but I wanted the specific car that had just arrived on the truck that day. Right options (everything but nav) and color. I really wanted the black leather, not the leather in the SAP car.

Thoughts, musings?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
For around a grand you can have leather (in any color/two-tone etc) installed. Several people have done it and love it. SAP+black= Win/Win.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Seeing how your username is Alaskancouple I assume there are two of you switching back and forth behind the OB driver seat. If not, retrofitting the memory buttons seems like an awful big waste of time and money!

I'll be the only one driving my car, save SWMBO who might get behind the wheel once or twice a year. It was the same with my previous car that had power seats with memory...never used it once.

But..if you really want it..it might be feasible. Sensible? Probably not. I imagine the wiring is not even there for non-SAP models. New door handle, it's probably some kind of module to control the memory, removing all the door trim, running the connection through the floor to the seat, and whatever is needed to connect there, plus power. Yikes..not sensible.

·
Registered
2013 limited Outback 2.5i, pzev, rear seat protectors, Venetian red pearl, all weather floor mats, rear cargo net, viper remote start, puddle lights, body side molding,
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah, I'm kinda hoping it's just new door handle, buy new expensive part, plug and play...but most likely not. There are two of us and after she's driven, I can't even sit down to adjust the seat...so i'm glad we don't have one of those cars where the key holds the memory in it..cause it'd be difficult to get the key in even :D

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I'm in the same situation as Alaskancouple, my wife is much shorter and I can't get in after she drives. I've had memory seats in my last two cars and it worked well for us. But I wanted Eyesight, so I couldn't get the SAP.

I'm interested in the upgrade to memory seats as well. Hopefully someone has some idea how to do it.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Yah, I'm kinda hoping it's just new door handle, buy new expensive part, plug and play...but most likely not. There are two of us and after she's driven, I can't even sit down to adjust the seat...so i'm glad we don't have one of those cars where the key holds the memory in it..cause it'd be difficult to get the key in even :D
My previous car had the seat position memory in each key, and it actually adjusts the driver's seat to the memory position whenever you unlock the car - so it would be perfect for you! Like I said I never used it, but when I would occasionally use the ssecond set of keys, the seat position would be all out of whack when I got in.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT
34 Posts
I'm in the same boat, just put a deposit on a 2.5i Premium 6MT that will be driven close to 50/50 by my wife and I. I can't physically get into a car she's just driven without moving the seat first. Adding seat memory seems like a no-brainer if it's possible. It's certainly an option I would have gladly paid for if it was available with a standard transmission.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
The easiest thing would be to find a wrecked car with the memory seat and buy the seat, wouldn't it? HPH

·
Registered
16 Posts
Memory Seats

I would also love to have memory seats. You would think it would be worth it for Subaru to sell a kit, as there seems to be such a demand.

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
496 Posts
I'm in the same boat - can't even get into the seat after the wife has driven the car. That's the reason I went with the SAP.

I worked for the company that built Dodge Ram seats for 8-1/2 years. The wiring could possibly be there, depending on how many different wire harnesses Subaru decided to have manufactured, but I doubt it since the SAP is a recent option. That being the case, it would prove to be a very involved and expensive undertaking.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
The easiest way (in this scenario) is to mark the seat rails down below with a marker or masking tape for both positions. Then position the seat against those marks for each individual driver ....this is assuming that you keep the back rest angle same for both....but, even if not, it is easier just to adjust the seat's back rest...

·
Registered
97 Outback 230000
1,138 Posts
We are also plagued with this issue. But will seat memory help if you can't even get in after she has driven it? I have been trained to put the seat back when I get out. It is only fair since I asked him to put the seat down after he has used the toilet, right?

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
We are also plagued with this issue. But will seat memory help if you can't even get in after she has driven it? I have been trained to put the seat back when I get out. It is only fair since I asked him to put the seat down after he has used the toilet, right?
Very polite of you :)

In my last car, I was memory seat position 1 and my wife was #2. Since the buttons were on the door, it was east to just open the door and press #1 before getting in. After the seat and mirror moved, I got in normally. That's what makes memory seats so nice. (also needed it after going to the car wash. Why do car wash places only hire short workers?)

·
Registered
97 Outback 230000
1,138 Posts
Very polite of you :)

In my last car, I was memory seat position 1 and my wife was #2. Since the buttons were on the door, it was east to just open the door and press #1 before getting in. After the seat and mirror moved, I got in normally. That's what makes memory seats so nice. (also needed it after going to the car wash. Why do car wash places only hire short workers?)
The mirrors move also? Wow that would be a terrific feature to have!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts