Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Ive seen this discussed on here before but not sure.

So today I discovered the passenger seatbelt beep. I often carry a backpack to work with various hard drives and my heavy laptop and stuff - well today it was heavy enough to be mistaken for a person I guess. My 03 OB didnt do this - but the beeping for the passenger seat belt is pretty relentless.

Any way to turn this off or do I just need to buckle the seat belt.

Look, I ALWAYS wear my seat belt and insist anyone in the car does as well if I am driving. But I think its ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that this is what cars do now. I guess the argument for such annoyances is that people become projectiles even if they dont care about their own lives? But what about any cargo I haul. That stuff isnt going to be strapped down and I dont see cars regulating that for us. I haul stuff around a lot.

sigh. Anyway, does anyone know how to disable this? Is it a dealer thing they are going to charge me 40 bucks for or argue that they COULD do it but they WONT do it for safety.

Guess Ill just buckle the belts.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok this didnt work for me.

Can anyone confirm with a 2013 OB Limited SAP (keyless start)
that this works?
Its SO annoying - that darn beep. almost every time I have my backpack on the seat - its not like my backpack has the weight of a small child.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
The weight of the object has no effect on the sensor.

ODS system Subaru:
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, require the use of an Occupant Detection System (ODS). This
system is designed to determine if a person is seated in the front passenger seat, and more importantly, if
the person is of adequate size to be protected in the event of the deployment of the front passenger seat
airbag (SRS) in a moderate to severe frontal collision.
Most Occupant Detection Systems measure the weight of the front seat passenger, to determine if the
front passenger seat airbag should deploy.
All 2012 and 2013 Subaru models use a new type of Occupant Detection System called
Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor ODS. This system does not use weight to determine whether to turn the
Occupant Detection System ON and OFF. It is important that you understand the operation of this system
so that you can explain its operation and precautions to your customers.
Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor ODS uses electrostatic capacitance to determine passenger airbag
status. Electrostatic capacitance represents a material’s capability of storing an electrical charge. Have
you ever been shocked when walking across a carpeted floor and touching a door knob? This
demonstrates your ability to store an electrical charge in your body.
When anyone is seated or when anything is placed on the front passenger seat, there is a change to that
capacitance value. This change in capacitance value is what the Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor ODS
uses to determine whether the front passenger seat airbag (SRS) will be ON or OFF.
Everything that is placed on the seat has the potential to affect a change in capacitance value. The
system can determine whether to change the OFF status of an airbag to ON depending on what is on the
passenger seat, which in turn causes a change in capacitance value. Some examples:
 A proper sized passenger will change the OFF status of an airbag to ON
 Plastic, metals and other substances, even if at a heavy weight, will not change the OFF status of an
airbag
 A false electrical charge, for example, those caused by laptops that are processing data, cellphones
that are on or even an electric device connected to a car charger can cause the airbag status to
switch to ON
 When water or anything with high moisture content is spilled on the front passenger seat cushion, the
airbag is designed to remain OFF until the seat cushion is dry. This will also be the case if the
passenger has moisture on their clothing, such as rain-soaked pants or raingear. In each of these
situations, the airbag status may remain OFF even if a passenger is seated.
Subject information for customers:
 “The Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor ODS uses
an electric charge to determine what is on the front passenger seat. (To assure the customer that
they will not get shocked, use the static electricity and touching the door knob example)
 Advise the passenger not to sit in the front passenger seat if the seat cushion is wet or if their clothing
is wet.
 The best way to ensure proper operation is to keep everything off the front passenger seat except a
passenger
 For more detailed information, stress to your customer the importance of reading and understanding
the Owner Manual
By reading the Owner Manual, your understanding of how this system functions directly affects how
confidently you will be able to discuss this ODS system to your customers. For more detailed information
on this and other types of Occupant Detection systems used in other model year Subaru vehicles, please
click on this link to register and attend a web based technical overview: technician training video.
*Passengers seated in the front of the vehicle must meet all State and Federal regulations according to
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208. Never install a child seat or booster seat in the front of the
vehicle. See Owner Manual for more detail.

Another thing to note:
If the seats get wet in any way & gets down to the sensor grid they will not operate correctly.
The seats will need to be dried off to work correctly again.

Long story short the seat measures the capacitance of the object in the seat and decides whether its a person or nothing important.
Anything such as cellphones/laptops/chargers ect... can mess with the system & cause false readings.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts

that this works?
Its SO annoying - that darn beep. almost every time I have my backpack on the seat - its not like my backpack has the weight of a small child.
Yes it does work. I've done it a couple of times on my '13SAP. Don't wait for the meters to sweep to start "clicking". Make sure the latch completely separates before reinserting.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it does work. I've done it a couple of times on my '13SAP. Don't wait for the meters to sweep to start "clicking". Make sure the latch completely separates before reinserting.

ok - someone with an SAP - good. But what do you mean a couple times? Does it have to be done more than once?
I ask - because I felt for a moment it was working - but then the beep came back.
does the car need to be "RUNNING"? just in "acc" mode - or that other weird third mode my push button seems to have?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should note that though the backpack triggers the seat belt chime - it does not trigger the passenger airbag turning to "on" status.

So scout - based on your write up, do you suggest I sit in the passenger seat? (also - I dont have a key)
Or do I do this with the DRIVERS seat and it will stop the passenger seat chime? I did the procedure to the passenger seat belt.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5, Ice Silver Metallic.
92 Posts
It would have to be done on the drivers seat. When I did mine (non SAP) it worked for both seats so even when someone is sitting there the chime does not come on their either.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
ok - someone with an SAP - good. But what do you mean a couple times? Does it have to be done more than once?
I ask - because I felt for a moment it was working - but then the beep came back.
does the car need to be "RUNNING"? just in "acc" mode - or that other weird third mode my push button seems to have?
Only once. I had to do it again as my battery went dead flat for no reason(that I know of). With foot off brake the second push (gauge sweep)is the one you want. As soon as you push the second time start clicking. Sit in driver seat only. Scout's post above is correct.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
It takes most people a few time before they get it "right." I failed six times. Seventh time was the charm for me.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts

that this works?
Yes I confirm and we have the same cars with same options - try several times. It took me several times (for some reason) before it worked for me....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts