Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to keep this '96 Legacy Outback going, it runs pretty well - got it for $1 and am about to put $2400 into it (timing belt, axle boot, AC hoses, brakes and rotors, pwr steering hoses and flush, cooling flush) but the interior smells like old car, gas, and various engine oils that spilled in the back.

I'd like new carpet and all new seats. I'm willing to reupholster.

Where does one get new carpet for one of these cars and what should I do about the seats - new or upholster?

·
Registered
1997 Outback 2.5 AT
186 Posts
not saying they couldnt exist but i would be surprised to find new production carpet kits for this car.
best option might be to find another clean model and steal its carpet.

or, you may be surprised at how good you can make your existing carpet look by pulling it from the car and attacking it with a pressure washer+carpet/upholstery cleaner machine.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
You probably could have bought a nice one for 2301 and saved 100 bucks. The nice one probably could have had headgaskets done, t belt, axles, cold AC, etc and not smell.

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You probably could have bought a nice one for 2301 and saved 100 bucks. The nice one probably could have had headgaskets done, t belt, axles, cold AC, etc and not smell.
The only nice ones out there are well over 2000 and they absolutely would not have a new timing belt. Thats the number one reason people get rid of these.

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Outback | EJ22 | 400k miles | Dylan
29 Posts
It seems like your best bet would be to get new carpet and cut out the template and put it in your car, same with seats.
But usually you can find nice seat of heated seats, leather or not, for a about $100.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,549 Posts
Have a '96 Legacy wagon ( basically the same car as yours) that had some fish oil spilled on to the right front carpet that soaked all the way through,as well as a leaking bottle of engine oil in the rear passenger seat carpet. Took the carpet out and steam cleaned it, after soaking it with a mixture of Purple Stuff and TSP. Reinstalled after it was thoroughly dry, and the smell is gone - no need to replace it.

For seats - what is their problem? Worn out? Smell? If just smell, a thorough steam cleaning should take care of the problem - my Legacy drivers seat was filthy from years of my shop clothes, and the passenger seat filthy from hot chocolate and coffee spills, and the steam cleaning did the trick. The drivers seat cushioning is a bit worn, but the cloth is still excellent, so if I really were concerned with my personal comfort,I'd figure out how to swap the cushioning in from the passenger seat. If worn out, any good car upholstery shop can make them look and feel like new, but it ain't gonna be cheap - better to find a junkyard pair that is in better shape and buy some decent slip-on covers - lots of them available reletively cheap in comparison to a reupholstery job. Also, look to see what is available on e-bay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Colorado we have quite a few old Subarus running around, along with quite a few in the junkyards.

This weekend I picked up just about an entire leather interior in great shape for my 96 Outback. I got four leather door cards in great shape and a leather back seat, also in great shape for about 100 bucks at the U Pull and Pay. I did not take the front seats cause they were beyond saving. But there are always a handful of 96-99 Outbacks/Legacy's in the junkyards here. Quite a few with under 150k miles. Those motors get pulled quick, but lots of times the interiors on the low milage cars are great, even the carpet. Check around the junk yards here if ya are wrench savvy. Ya just may find carpet in better shape than yours you can clean up and swap.

You can also find some good passenger seats and take the bottom foam and swap it for yours. Driver seat foams are generally pretty shot in junk yards, even on a 120k vehicle.

T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts