Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all those who are contemplating the Aussie version of the 3.0R standard spec Outback, I have made and interesting discovery regarding the seat trim in this model.

The seat trim is called "esciane" which looks like a suede. This escaine part is in the centre of the seat cushion and the seat back, but not on the side bolsters of either the seat cushion or back. I believe it is a fake suede, but the trim either side of the esciane is genuine leather, ie the inside side of the seat bolsters and the seat back. The rest of the seat, ie the outside side of the side bolsters and the back and sides of the seat back are vinyl.

I had the premium spec H6, which had leather seats before the 3.0R, but the leather was only on the seat part of the seats and not on the sides or back of the seat, which was vinyl.

So, from my observation it seems that the only extra leather you get on the premium spec is the seat cushion and seat back as the rest of the seat, ie outer sides and back side of seat back are vinyl.

:)

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Hi Subah6,

Just out of interest I asked Subaru how much of the seat is leather in the 3.0R Premium, this is their reply:

Our factory in Japan have forwarded the information as we requested. The majority of the seating in the Outback 3.0R Premium - is real leather, with some unseen areas and side panels being of a synthetic close matching leather look material.

They also confirmed that large sections of the seats in the 3.0R (non Premium) are leather.

Cheers,

Karl

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Karl,

That seems to tally with what I have discovered.

I like the escaine as I like its suede like appearance it also gives a non slip surface.

I have a like/dislike relationship with leather. I like its look and smell, but I don't like it when it gets hot/cold or that its slippery sometimes.

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
didnt the Euro car makers started that suede look?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0
1 Posts
escaine specs for 3.0R Outback

We are awaiting delivery of our 3.0R Outback. Both before and after signing up for this vehicle I was assured the material the seats were covered in was real leather except for the panels on the top and front. These were first described as alcantra, after specs were quoted, described as escaine. I am still waiting for written confirmation of the leather seats. Briefly I was told the escaine was real leather also, just that it was reversed (i.e. suede), but this was soon corrected to describe it as a synthetic suede. Hmmm. Unsure of the performance of the escaine, we have now signed up for pre-delivery leather and vinyl sealant that povides seats with a lifetime guarantee against fading, staining and cracking. Hoping this is a good move. Also, I note that Subaru states specs for cars may be different in different markets. Maybe only some of us get leather seats in 3.0R.

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i
1,142 Posts
NZ spec is the same, despite my H6 being described as "full leather" in 2002 it certainly has vinyl on the sides of the seat bottom and the top of the seat under the headrest. I thinkthis is poor and misleading.

The new models with Escaine really annoy me, particularly the cream colourings, but those of you who have been around for a bit will know my thoughts on this - completely unsuitable for a model aimed at the market the OB's are intended for..

·
Registered
MY05 Outback 3.0R
3 Posts
When I was enquiring about my new OB'05, I expressed concern about the suede seats easily trapping dirt and other crap

The sales rep reassured me that it wasnt suede back 'alcantra' (or whatever) and far superior to suede. Unfrotunately in my excitement of getting the new OB i forgot to ask whether it was synthetic or natural, etc.

Anyways, as part of the haggling process, I got exterior and interior protection included (as part of a 'special' promotion).

After a few trips to the snow, the seats are still holding up like brand new....

I actually like the alcantra interior, since it feels 'less slippery' when hard driving.... but then again, I havent drvien for long enough in a car with full leather interior to notice how bad the 'ass-slip' factor is!!

Rgds
Simon

·
Registered
56 Posts
We really liked the upgraded cloth in the USA model '05 of the XT. Since the discontinued that for '06, we were concerend about what the 3.0R wagon seats were like.

Actually there not too bad. Not as "sporty" as the XT cloth was, but yet still firm material and supportive. Same design about the seat center and back center being that taupe tweed like fabric and the side bolsters being a lighter (in color) and much softer cloth. Perhaps a little too soft for me, but passable, esp if you don't want to go to leather.

I think the '05 XT cloth was a bit stiffer around the edges

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
I have had 4 cars now with "full" leather seats and never had a problem with ass-slip in any of them. I corner pretty hard pretty often too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts