Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 yr old granddaughter that rides in my back seat and sometimes finds the sun annoying (even here in WA! ).
Has anyone gotten the genuine Subaru Second Row Sunscreens ($69 at Subarupartsonline). Look like they could be helpful but also a bit of a PIA to put up and store without damaging them.
Then there is the simple little items available on Amazon that adhere by static cling for 1/3rd the cost. https://www.amazon.com/Enovoe-Car-W...assenger+sun+shade&qid=1634182831&sr=8-5&th=1
Interesting in hearing your experiences with either of these items.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have them and keep them installed most of the time. I remove one or both when dogs are in the back -- so I can roll down the windows. I've accidentally rolled down the windows with the screens in and they don't fall out, but isn't meant to be used that way and probably would at a decent speed.

Its simple to install and remove, they're rigid and the edge is a magnet. I store them in the back when not in use, but they don't fold up so it is a bit long. Honestly I find my windshield folding cover to be more inconvenient to store.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have them and like them. Leave them in place all the time, although we rarely have rear seat passengers or lower the rear windows. They keep the car cooler. From the outside, windows appear to have attractive dark tint. From the inside, they do not in any way impede outward visibility.

·
Premium Member
2022 Grey Outback Premium
395 Posts
I have them and keep them installed all the time. My 7 yr old sometimes pops hers out b/c it does interfere with vision (it's black mesh, so no suprise). But I told her for around town it stays b/c it does help with heat, but she's free to take it out for longer drives. ;)

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
398 Posts
I have the Subaru ones (well from the manufacturer that makes them for Subaru on the newer models) for my 2014 Crosstrek. They fit and work really well. I also keep them in my windows all the time. My daughter is now old enough that she wants to look out the window and will wear sunglasses so I have removed them from her side of the car. They store fine if you keep them flat. However, I would not want to be installing/removing them constantly (though they are not that difficult to swap; just easier to leave in all the time). I have not needed them for the Outback since I had a ceramic window tint installed and my rear windows are fairly dark.

While they do help with heat, I would opt for ceramic window tint if your primary concern is heat (noting tint is more expensive, but it is also less intrusive).

·
Premium Member
2022 Grey Outback Premium
395 Posts
I have the Subaru ones (well from the manufacturer that makes them for Subaru on the newer models) for my 2014 Crosstrek. They fit and work really well. I also keep them in my windows all the time. My daughter is now old enough that she wants to look out the window and will wear sunglasses so I have removed them from her side of the car. They store fine if you keep them flat. However, I would not want to be installing/removing them constantly (though they are not that difficult to swap; just easier to leave in all the time). I have not needed them for the Outback since I had a ceramic window tint installed and my rear windows are fairly dark.

While they do help with heat, I would opt for ceramic window tint if your primary concern is heat (noting tint is more expensive, but it is also less intrusive).

I actually have both the ceramic tint and these. :) Gulf south can be brutal in summer.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,446 Posts
I purchased a windshield screen that came with two side window screens, which are held on by suction cups. They can be twist-folded for storage in the back of the front seats. I leave them on the back windows most of the time. When driving in Arizona on the I-10 in the summer one of them will move to the frontside-south facing window. It even works well for the driver's side window because the shape allows for an unshaded view of the side rearview mirror. I purchase the shade and two screens, at Costco for $19-20, when the car was new. They are still working as needed.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness, Primative plates, Focal speakers
88 Posts
I have the sunshades in my OBW an love them. Great for camping (sleeping & napping in the car with a cross breeze and no bugs) also when the dog sits in the car when we pop into a restaurant on the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts