Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I drove a 2019 Subaru 3.6R and thought we found the car we were looking for.

We were surprised because we never thought of buying a Subaru before.

The Outback was
  • Comfortable front and back seating (great legroom)
  • Had much more storage than we thought we'd find in a vehicle in the class - it is quite similar to a larger SUV
  • Up to date safety features with EyeSight
  • AWD
  • High ground clearance but still easy to enter and exit the car
  • Well rated by Consumer Reports
  • Excellent safety/crash test ratings
  • Reasonably priced but it does get more pricey as you get to the 3.6R and Limited levels
After doing some research I learned about the 2020 model and was even more excited! Bigger touch screen, new platform that provides better ride/handling, improved EyeSight features, better gas mileage...all great improvements!

We were ready to pull the trigger...and if a car was on the lot, ready for sale at good price, we'd probably have driven home in it.

But as we all know, that can't happen quite yet. I can't get a car until October.

Now I am reading about a hold on the cars due to a quality issue and all my fears are coming back to me.

Are Subaru CVT transmissions ok (we all know about the issues with that and the extended warranty on older models)

Is the new 2.4 Turbo a reliable engine? Will it be loud? Turbo lag? It is on the Ascent and some people (or maybe Trolls) are claiming bad gas mileage and other issues.

Many manufacturers have issues with electronics now including Toyota...will this new model, that is highly dependent on the touchscreen, have issues?

Who do I believe?

I feel like there are so many people that are now PAID to create content (good reviews AND bad reviews) that it is hard to know what is valid.

Our other top pick is the new 2020 Toyota Highlander. I feel like Toyota is a 'safer' choice with a regular transmission and overall better quality...but I think my wife will prefer the Outback as it is going to drive better and be easier to handle. Of course, that assumes the car is reliable.

Then there is the issue of timing.

I can't get a car until October or later...pricing discounts are not as high as on other models like the Ascent...and I am now more concerned than ever about 'new model quality'

We need to replace a car that was in an accident, so we will buy a car and our ready to buy today. However, we have another car we can use while we wait...so if it takes another month or two we will.

The challenge has been to find a car that meets all of the above requirements. The Outback appears to meet all of them the best at the lowest price. A Highlander or Lexus RX would work too, but are more money and are also being redesigned and not yet released.

Should I just wait until January when all the new car excitement has died down and I can see comments from consumers? How will I even know if the negative comments are real or just from Trolls? Ugh!

What do you think?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like you should get the 3.6R. You have a lot of concerns and you're going to get a lot of different responses about how valid those concerns are or aren't. Many of your concerns won't be answerable to any extent until these have been on the road for many years. The 3.6R has been around many years and you know what you're getting.

Personally, I'm probably going to wait on the 2020.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar boat to you, we are waiting for the 2020 XT to come out and get delivered to us in late September.

The 2.4T is not a new engine and has been on the Ascent for a year, very little issues from what I've read.

Subaru CVT's are the best in class. Much better than Nissan CVTs

Reviews seem to indicate very little turbo lag.

I could go over the Audi and get the A4 Allroad or 2020 V60 Cross Country today if i wanted to, but we are holding out for the Outback 2020.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
XTKU

I agree that the 3.6R is the 'safe option'

I've thought a lot about going that way...but from everything I've read and seen by reviewers who've driven both, I truly believe the 2020 is a superior vehicle due to the adoption the new platform that is already on several other Subarus.

So I am all in on the 2020 if I go with an Outback.

And you are right, I am going to have to take some 'risk' and place some faith in Subura.

Despite all the negatives comments I've read (and they exist for ALL cars), I have to believe that for most people the cars are fantastic. Why else would their sales grow every month for 95 months? And why else would they receive stellar reviews from Consumer Reports?

Maybe I shouldn't let the negative comments get to me as much as they do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Similar boat to you, we are waiting for the 2020 XT to come out and get delivered to us in late September.

The 2.4T is not a new engine and has been on the Ascent for a year, very little issues from what I've read.

I could go over the Audi and get the A4 Allroad or 2020 V60 Cross Country today if i wanted to, but we are holding out for the Outback 2020.
High Mountain Woody

Thanks for your shortlist.

I also have an Audi A6 - love the car, it drives so well

I tried to get the wife to drive the Q7 but she decided it didn't have enough storage space in the front of the vehicle.

We have some friends with the Volvo...and maybe we should look at that...but the reliability ratings on the Volvo are not great.

I wish I had more cars to choose from. But I refuse to buy a car that has average or below-average reliability per Consumer Reports...and that eliminates many options.

·
Registered
133 Posts
XTKU

Maybe I shouldn't let the negative comments get to me as much as they do.
Absolutely. And as soon as one 2020 owner has a serious issue and posts it here, you'll get 5-10 people who'll say "this is why I bought the 2019. So glad I did!" And then other 2020 owner will chime in "no problem with mine, and it's so much better than the 2019!"

I expect half the board to be filled with such conversations in the next few months. Kinda pointless to get worked up over it. This kind of anecdotal data is emotionally compelling, but statistically meaningless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a ‘16 Forester XT with a 2.0 direct injection twin scroll turbo (very similar tech to new 2.4 turbo in ascent and ‘20 outback)... 50,000 miles with just oil changes, average 27 mph mixed driving and love the power in the Colorado high country.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Despite all the negatives comments I've read (and they exist for ALL cars), I have to believe that for most people the cars are fantastic. Why else would their sales grow every month for 95 months? And why else would they receive stellar reviews from Consumer Reports?
Because many buyers realized they could get an average car for a below average price point.

With the 2020 vehicles it appears Subaru price points are being raised. Hopefully their vehicles will still be seen as a good value.

Your best bang for the buck right now would be the 2019. Keep it for 3 years then pick up a 2022.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I watched a couple of reviews on the 2015 Outback and they’ve been brutal for problems. On the other hand, the Forester and Ascent, have a very high projected reliability score for the 2019 model years on Consumer Reports. Don’t know if reality collided with that or not.

This is basically the same vehicle as the two above, except for the infotainment system. That’s encouraging in that they seem to have been solid, discouraging as the infotainment is where you see a lot of problems.

I think it’ll be OK, although maybe not before a bump or two.

In regards to Toyota, the RAV4 hybrid is almost perfect for what I want, except I don’t think I fit (just sat, didn’t drive) and it’s got problems. For instance, you can’t fill the gas tank for some reason. It registers as full at 3/4. Go figure, even Toyota.

·
Registered
615 Posts

I think you should read the problem and issues thread over at Ascent.com. It's interesting

·
Registered
176 Posts
subaru cvt's are fine. they tend to accelerate a bit slow on the 2.5 but that could be the engine. the big downside is they are loud, or subaru needs to beef up the engine isolation.

it depends what your priority is. if its purchase price, go 2019. if its interior comfort and noise, go with the 2020. the ascent is much quieter than my 2.5. the 2019 will still have some issues over its life so its not like its a safer play than the 2020 in that regard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you should read the problem and issues thread over at Ascent.com. It's interesting
GHP

I've read the posts on the Ascent forum as my search started out looking at the Ascent.

We saw the Outback in the showroom and liked all the items mentioned earlier in my post.

The issues reported on the Ascent forum are what give me pause. And the ongoing issues I see they have with Power Equipment and In Car Electronics.

It seems like you have these concerns too.

What vehicle(s) are you considering buying?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
...The 2.4T is not a new engine and has been on the Ascent for a year, very little issues from what I've read.
There have been a disturbing amount of issues being reported on the Ascent forum. Blowing smoke, grenaded engines. There are somethings that needs to be worked out.

·
Registered
615 Posts
GHP

I've read the posts on the Ascent forum as my search started out looking at the Ascent.

We saw the Outback in the showroom and liked all the items mentioned earlier in my post.

The issues reported on the Ascent forum are what give me pause. And the ongoing issues I see they have with Power Equipment and In Car Electronics.

It seems like you have these concerns too.

What vehicle(s) are you considering buying?
To be honest I had a Ascent and while I had no problems the transmission felt confused at times with lurching and surging. I had a premium and also felt there was too many compromises with fit and finish . The carpet was very thin and the ivory dash shelving felt cheap and out of place. I was on a lease and turned it in early for a 19 Forester Touring which drives and feels more like the Subaru I'm use to, plus the Ascent's size was overkill for my needs although I thought I would grow into it. For some its a great car and problem free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked at the Forester as an option but it did not have the larger engine. We do a lot of freeway driving and the acceleration is not quite what we desire for entering a busy freeway.

Agreed that the size is just right for our needs

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m also down to the Outback XT (possibly Ascent- but less likely) and the Highlander. I’m waiting until March to drive all three 2020s, including the Hybrid version of the Highlander. I expect to purchase one of them in March. I’d second guess any decision I make unless I’ve driven all three 2020 models.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It also doesn't represent the majority of the 90K Ascents that have been sold. Yes, there have been some issues, but it's a minority of vehicles. Internet forums are not a good place to understand actual statistics since folks with issues speak loudly and often and folks who don't have issues are out driving their vehicles instead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am in the same boat as you guys ... need a car NOW and not sure what to do ... 3.6R is out as it feels dated compared to all other Subaru's now out. Pricing is not that great on it either ... the wait for the XT is not clear.

What I find curious is how so many people on this forum are waiting for the XT in particular, considering that the large engine was always a very small seller for both OB and Forester in the past ... what changed?

I also wish the Forester was still offered as an XT ... that gaudy orangy Sports edition would have been perfect to make into an XT.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
The smooth effortless power deliverer of the 3.6 is what will be missed. We've owned just about every Subaru power-train, this one is special.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
21 Participants
Sumrtym
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing