Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
29 Posts
Yup, I do it all the time whenever I go running so I don't have to carry the bulky key fob with me. Great little feature.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
998 Posts
You have to disable the key fob that you leave in the car, correct?
Yes, correct. Another trick: you can leave a fob in the car without disabling it if you use the button on the other fob to lock the car. In this case you can use the pin code to get in, or just use the second fob that you originally used to lock the first fob in the car.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5I Limited Tungsten with Ivory leather
92 Posts
Is this a Gen. 6 only feature, or does it work on Gen. 5 to?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,103 Posts
One of my favorite features - I'm sort of surprised it's not more common on other makes. My buddy just leased a 2020 Crosstrek and the sales guy told him that feature was discontinued because nobody used it. We opened up his manual and, not surprisingly, there it was. Lots of posts in the Gen 5 subforum from folks that were seemingly unaware of it. I accept that it's not for everyone, but like a lot of things, I think the salespeople could be doing a much better job of educating themselves and their customers. Personally, I think everyone should set a pin code, even if they're unable to memorize it.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
As silly as I first thought the PIN code access is, it is actually kinda cool. I use it so infrequently I’ll forget what it was and end up setting it again.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT in Autumn Green
192 Posts
To disable, on the fob, with the lock button held down, press the unlock (Subaru logo) button twice.

To re-enable, press any button on the fob.

I learned this today from one of Ryan's videos.
Lol, I think it's toward the end of the video that's at the top of this thread. Which I watched twice in a row about an hour ago, and still I couldn't answer flixden's question. I knew it was press something twice, but...

·
Registered
Abyss Blue 2020 Onyx XT
3 Posts
Lol, I think it's toward the end of the video that's at the top of this thread. Which I watched twice in a row about an hour ago, and still I couldn't answer flixden's question. I knew it was press something twice, but...
You might be right about that, but I got it from his "Key Fob Basics" video (watched it right before following the instructions in the video at the top of this thread to program in a PIN after procrastinating for an unreasonably long time lol).

Really cool and helpful YouTube channel.

Only my second post on this forum, but if I can get a link to work, here ya go:

:)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT in Autumn Green
192 Posts
You might be right about that, but I got it from his "Key Fob Basics" video (watched it right before following the instructions in the video at the top of this thread to program in a PIN after procrastinating for an unreasonably long time lol).

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,350 Posts

Yeah, Thanks!

·
Registered
375 Posts
One of my favorite features - I'm sort of surprised it's not more common on other makes. My buddy just leased a 2020 Crosstrek and the sales guy told him that feature was discontinued because nobody used it. We opened up his manual and, not surprisingly, there it was. Lots of posts in the Gen 5 subforum from folks that were seemingly unaware of it. I accept that it's not for everyone, but like a lot of things, I think the salespeople could be doing a much better job of educating themselves and their customers. Personally, I think everyone should set a pin code, even if they're unable to memorize it.
Ford has had it forever and it's much easier to use.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,350 Posts
T

Tried it today. Works great!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts