Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good idea to use the tow bolts to secure the bow and stern lines for a canoe or kayak? Is there a better option?:)

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited
95 Posts
I made myself a wire loop secured under the hood latch, which projects out the front edge and up, using fairly heavy insulated wire.

Loosened the bolts on the latch, and passed the wire under, and re-tightened.

This has worked well for several years now. See pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
520 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
it depends. depending on kayak, racks, and what you're doing you don't need anything on the front and back.

a kayaker/outdoor friend just showed me how to use two ratchet straps and no front or back lines. i was nervous at first, but once he showed me it's so freaking easy I can't believe it was so cumbersome before. but I can only fit one that way, so it'll be kayak racks in the future to tilt them for more space.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
642 Posts
I use two tie down strap loops that are bolted under the hood and a similar type that you close the rear door on for the back.

The front straps fold under the hood when not in use. They all work great and are probably the easiest to use, instead of having to crawl under the front/back to attach somewhere and risk the rope causing paint damage.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts