Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I've narrowed down the 1200-1400 RPM rattle during acceleration to the front cat heat shield. When I knock on it with a screwdriver or my knuckles, it makes a higher "tinny" sound that I think is what I'm hearing.

What's the best way to secure the front cat heat shield? It has the whole ring of fire design with the exhaust manifold, with the filter in the middle of it. Shall I just go get two or three big 6" stainless steel hose clamps and try to tighten it down the best I can, or is there a better way?

I have several smaller hose clamps but I can't seem to get it to stay over the areas where the rusted bolts are presently.

Would the dealer service department be willing to hose clamp it? I have an appointment for non-related things already this week.

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts

Much like so, steel wool and big hose clamp creativity should fix it.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium and 2014 2.5i 6-spd
67 Posts
Cut/grind off the two rusted nuts from the fasteners for the heat shield and install two new H6 fasteners (10mm wrench) with flat washer (on top under the bolt head) and lock washer/nut on the bottom side. Tighten securely but don't overdo it. I added some anti-seize to slow corrosion under the nut-bolt area. Took me all of 5 minutes (excluding the 1/2 hour trip to buy the hardware) and I didn't even lift the vehicle to perform the task. Easier than cutting a slot and installing a hose clamp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts