Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2000 Subaruoutbck . I love it . I followed the instructions in the book but I can’t stop the security light from blinking! And not only that but I’m not sure if it has a security alarm. It didn’t come with a remote for an alarm.
The previous owner didn’t seem to want to talk about it!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I just purchased a 2000 Subaruoutbck . I love it . I followed the instructions in the book but I can’t stop the security light from blinking! And not only that but I’m not sure if it has a security alarm. It didn’t come with a remote for an alarm.
The previous owner didn’t seem to want to talk about it!
It's normal for a security light in the dashboard to blink when the car is locked. Is yours blinking when the car is unlocked and you're driving it?

Here's what someone else did:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's normal for a security light in the dashboard to blink when the car is locked. Is yours blinking when the car is unlocked and you're driving it?

No ,it goes off after starting.
Is it a real “Alarm” or just to make people think it’s an alarm!
By the way this is all new to me and I’m 84 years old so please be patient with me 🙏.
Thank you for your reply 🙏

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Also the light blinks when the doors are unlocked also .
Since you don't have the remote, I think it's normal for the security light to keep blinking until you start the car. If you did have the remote, then unlocking the car with the remote might stop the red light blinking.

I'm not 84 but I still struggle to keep up with technology that changes the way things work when the way they used to work before made perfect sense and now they change it.

I studied computer science in college but it still frustrates me the way things change on computers, for example, in an attempt to keep things simple, now they hide things and make it difficult to know what's really happening, and don't provide any explanation.

The owner's manual for your car can be downloaded here:

I tried reading the security section (2-13) it but it's not very clear-cut about the security light behavior since there are several modes (normal, valet, and passive) and you don't have the remotes. If the person who sold you the car isn't trustworthy, then there's a small possibility that the previous owner still has the remote and can unlock your car. The manual describes a way of deleting old transmitter codes, but you need to have a working transmitter to do that. You may want to talk to the dealer about that.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope someone else with a 2000 outback will discover this thread and let you know for sure if this is normal.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback
59 Posts
One thing you could try is to buy a new remote, and program it to see if this my solve your issue. Section 2-11 and 2-12 cover the programming. I should have a few remotes coming soon. So I can ship you one if you would like so you can test it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
did you accidently place the car into velet mode?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts