Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2009 OB Wagon 5 sp, 4 cyl, The security light flashes when the key is removed about once every 3 seconds. I have owned the car for over 4 years and not noticed it before. So I assume it is something I did to start it happening. I have read the manual and several forum threads and determined that it is normal for the light to flash - I can enter valet mode and then exit it. I can turn on and off the alarm system - I have tried the tricks on the forums with the opening and closing of drivers door and the unlock button. Even though this is supposed to be normal, I do not want the light flashing - any way to stop it?

I am concerned that the flashing will drain my battery this winter. Since my keys are a little over 4 years old, maybe I have weak batteries?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
17,016 Posts
I may not understand exactly what your concern is.

if the drain from that led's duty cycle flashing is a concern for longterm term storage of the vehicle, either use a trickle charger to keep the battery topped-up, or remove the cables from the batt at least.

If the battery is getting old (4 years would be ancient in the south/southwest - but middle-aged in more northerly climes) have it load tested and, if it's demonstrably weak, get a new one before it strands you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just that it gets very cold here and strains any battery. Since the light has never flashed before recently, I just want it not flashing, like it was.

·
Registered
16,402 Posts
That flashing security light won't drain the battery.

If your battery is weak, or if the car is parked for a long time, then the battery might run down, but not because of that light. There are other "hidden" electrical functions that are "always on", such as the keyless entry and security control modules, as well as the radio memory and the clock, that altogether probably draw far more than that flashing LED "security" bulb.

Just think -- there's lots of Subaru in regions that get very cold (including where I live), and all have that same flashing light. (And incidentally, many other makes have a similar "security" light, either flashing or on continuously.) If it was a problem, we would have heard about it.

As far as the light just coming on recently, I guess that's possible but I suspect it was always there; it just wasn't noticed earlier. I'm not aware of any control or sequence of actions that will turn it off.

·
Super Moderator
12,119 Posts
Nope. It's supposed to flash. And it's always flashed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my 2009 OB Wagon 5 sp, 4 cyl, The security light flashes when the key is removed about once every 3 seconds. I have owned the car for over 4 years and not noticed it before. So I assume it is something I did to start it happening. I have read the manual and several forum threads and determined that it is normal for the light to flash - I can enter valet mode and then exit it. I can turn on and off the alarm system - I have tried the tricks on the forums with the opening and closing of drivers door and the unlock button. Even though this is supposed to be normal, I do not want the light flashing - any way to stop it?

I am concerned that the flashing will drain my battery this winter. Since my keys are a little over 4 years old, maybe I have weak batteries?

Thanks for your help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts