·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't mean to get legacy (non-outback) struts for my outback
334111-334112 front struts, 2 334115-334116 Rear struts) KYB EXCEL G BLACK GR-2

I meant to get the outback ones

Part Number: KIT-235632-235633-335020-335021

Either way the did bolt up just fine. The Sedan struts were like 3" shorter on the tube. The spring sat on the perch exactly the same. I did the rears and a friend did the fronts at his shop so he could align the camber afterwords.

OLD STOCK STRUTS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEGACY (NON-OUTBACK) STRUTS

The car is on a slight slant away but it doesn't make the gap much bigger. The tires are the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
confused.

the non-outback looks taller than the old outback struts.
are the pics right?
I think its a trick of the eye (lighting and angle difference between the two photos). I thought that too at first but on a second look it looks pretty much the same height, however the second photo does look like it has a slanted rear end, just a tad. That is, assuming the ground is flat and not on and uphill slope in the second photo (again though, i'm leaning towards trick of the eye on that part as well)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bottom pic is the new struts. The shadow makes it confusing I guess. I should take a pic with better light.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
The change in lighting makes it difficult to tell =[ Looks like he lost maybe one inch, seeing where the wheel centers line up? Might be due to the un-settled height of the new springs, so far.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is there a question here?

If you aren't concerned with the 1" drop in ride height id say run with it! Looks pretty good.
In theory axle angles will be slightly different but considering I'm lifted and haven't seen problems I'm sure you'll be fine.

I am intrigued by you saying the struts were physically 3" shorter? Did you still use out back springs (I think they're the same anyway?) cause lots of guys use outback struts to get that extra "outback" inch on their Legos.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put on new tires this week and my alignment is a little out, from the wear on the front I'd say the camber is still off. Maybe the alignment specs in the machine are not good for the lower struts. Seeing as the SAI has changed I'd say the alignment won't be perfect. NOW I NEED TO SAY THAT the rear tire is rubbing the bottom of the strut perch and burned off about 1/3 of the inner tread. This is terrible, and weird that it's only the right side and only when the cars weight is resting on the ground. When the wheel is off the ground it has about 1/8 in clearance. I don't know what is moving when I lower it but whatever it is should not move. (I checked for loose bolts) I will probably get the right struts for the rear and in the end the car will look more level I suppose. I plan to take a good picture still on more level ground and get all of this down.

I have 205/70/15 tires

·
Registered
288 Posts
Your tires are too wide for legacy struts.
You need to use Outback struts, since you already purchased tires.

O.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True smaller tires would solve the problem. I ordered the correct rear struts yesterday.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's some comparison pics of the rear struts. The original outback ones I took off and the sedan ones I first bought, that are shorter. The old one is on the right in the first pic.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I thought I'd get a good level picture of the wagon. The front struts are the sedan ones. The rear are with the wagon struts. I like it. There is a need to get extra camber bolts though as my front camber needs a little more then 1.5*. The aftermarket camber bolts I've seen are not even close to Subaru quality.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know if it really matters to you but if you ever need to run snow chains it will be impossible with those struts and the stock size tires. You have already noticed the rear tires wearing on the struts and I am sure the front tires are also slightly wearing on the lower spring perch. If they are not then they will be very close to it. No way chains will fit in there. I have a feeling that when you finally get the alignment correct the fronts will be rubbing.
That is how my car was when I bought it. I ended up buying a complete used set, I only needed the fronts but the price was right.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope not! I will take a close look at it today and measure the clearance but as you said my alignment is not perfect yet. One side is good and the other needs about .03* more. It was really close, but not in the green so the steering pulls and will cause negative camber wear on the one side.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The distance from the top of the front tires to to the closest part of the spring perch was a 1/2" so there is good enough clearance for me but maybe not with snow chains.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Make sure to also check between the body or tube of the strut and the sidewall of the tire for clearance. My car didn't have sedan struts on it so my experience is a little different than yours, you may be more ok than I was. My car had Outback Sport struts on the front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
Some Dude
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing