Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I did a 70k mile oil change and I removed the engine cover to take a good look at the engine. I found a small pool of oil behind the top of the timing cover and I can see where oil has been blown around down the timing cover (see photos). I have 10k miles before my extended warranty expires, and I would like some advise.

I have searched this forum on oil leaks front cover and there were several posts from 2011 - 2012 time frame about the process of getting repairs done at various Subaru dealers. Many of the posts stated engine was sealed up and then started leaking again. In some cases multiple attempts were made to seal the oil leaks.

My questions
1. My leak as of now is very minor should I just leave it alone?
2. How big a risk is letting dealer repair? Should I look for a shop that specializes in Subaru?
3. How complicated is the repair? My 7.3l powerestroke has a glued on oil pan and I have read several posts about how hard it is to remove the pan, clean old sealant and reassemble with new sealant.
4. How expensive is the repair if my warranty claim is denied or if I wait until car is off warranty.

I may be over thinking this.
Thanks

IMG_2510.jpg
IMG_2515.jpg

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
I wouldn't say the 3.6R timing cover leaks are uncommon. Search for timing cover oil leak and you should find several threads. Even some over on legacyGT if you're searching in DuckDuckGo or similar.

Here is one thread - these leaks are on the underside though.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6R
49 Posts
I recently purchased a used 2018 and noticed an oil leak at the front, thankfully it was still under warranty so it was taken care of. I wish I knew how much money I saved, but the paperwork I got didn’t specify any dollar values, only parts needed. It was there for 2 days though so I know I would have been paying a lot for labour. If it’s under warranty bring it to the dealer, if they mess it up then they’ll correct it.

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
543 Posts
I found a small pool of oil behind the top of the timing cover and I can see where oil has been blown around down the timing cover (see photos).
It is hard for me to tell exactly which part of the engine your close-up photos are showing. If it is at the top of the engine as you mention, & on the US driver’s side, then have a read of the first paragraph my post #39 here.

My suggestion is to thoroughly clean all the oil from the top & bottom then monitor for any oil leaks over the next few thousand miles. Take photos after cleaning & then after any oil starts leaking.

To me it doesn’t look like the typical 3.6R timing cover oil leak, but if it is, I would get it fixed under warranty. It is a fairly difficult & expensive job to pay someone to have it fixed correctly, & whoever attempts to fix it may not get it right the first go.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6R
49 Posts
I recently purchased a used 2018 and noticed an oil leak at the front, thankfully it was still under warranty so it was taken care of. I wish I knew how much money I saved, but the paperwork I got didn’t specify any dollar values, only parts needed. It was there for 2 days though so I know I would have been paying a lot for labour. If it’s under warranty bring it to the dealer, if they mess it up then they’ll correct it.
To add to my previous comment, the paper work indicated that the entire engine was removed in order to repair the leak, which I imagine takes some time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts