Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other OXTs

Hey, I live in what is called Subaru territory (6% market share here in NY/NE), and yet in my driving--almost 1500 miles--in my XT, I have not seen another XT. On the other hand, I've seen several '05 Outbacks (2.5i), a couple of Legacy GTs, but alas, no Outback turbos.

Anyone else seen any, or are we still a rare breed?

What does this mean? Are they not selling all that well? Is the public wary of the relatively low gas mileage (though I'm averaging 24)?

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
I've seen 2 or three since I've owned mine (end of June). I saw a Garnet Red XT Ltd (Auto) last night in Philadelphia chinatown and I've seen one or two on the road since then. All have been XTs so far though, haven't seen a base model or an LLBean or VDC one yet.

Jay

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,105 Posts
I haven't seen a single XT driving around in the Omaha area. I've seen plenty of Legacys although I've only seen ONE Outback driving, which was a VDC surprisingly. The Omaha Metro area dealers (and I'll include Lincoln as well) haven't gotten a great share of XT's yet, honestly I don't think we've had more than 10 total XT's at all the dealers combined around these parts. Thats okay though, they're still very new to the market and I'd say within a year or so they'll be everywhere.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 6MT
18 Posts
A neighbor of mine finally got rid of his junky old Cherokee and replaced it with a beautiful OBXT. What a pleasure to see it every time I walk out of the house!

Escher

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I understand how you feel. In fact, I still park mine right outside the kitchen window just because I like to look at it. I suppose when winter comes, I'll put it in the garage.;)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I have only seen one XT in the Omaha, NE area. Two days ago, a grandpa driving it, monotone champagne like. What a nice looking car. That's the only one on the road I have seen so far. Brian

·
Registered
2012 Outback 6MT
18 Posts
mudge said:
Yeah, I understand how you feel.
I'm **** jealous, too!

In fact, I still park mine right outside the kitchen window just because I like to look at it.
Can't wait to get my own and do the same. ;) It's a shame I'll probably have to wait another year to get the Subie I've coveted ever since I was a kid. :\

Escher

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Escher,

I almost broke down a year ago when the Forester XT came out (a **** good vehicle in its own right) but I held off.

Then when we here at subaruoutback.org captured the very first spy pictures of the new OBXT at the Chicago Auto Show, I knew I had done the right thing.

Let me tell you, it's worth the wait.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a funny story and especially appropriate for my own thread.

I drove into town today--about 4 miles on back roads. I passed maybe seven or eight cars that were going the other way, and yes, two of them were Outback XTs (the first two I have seen since I got mine almost two months ago).

I flashed my brights at both, but I got no response.

Come on guys, this should be a true, tight fraternity!!

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mudge said:
Here's a funny story and especially appropriate for my own thread. I drove into town today--about 4 miles on back roads. I passed maybe seven or eight cars that were going the other way, and yes, two of them were Outback XTs (the first two I have seen since I got mine almost two months ago).I flashed my brights at both, but I got no response. Come on guys, this should be a true, tight fraternity!!

Anyone see other XTs on a regular basis?

I've only seen these two (that I saw on the same day in early October), and I've driven 3000 miles since then!

Where the **** are they all? :confused:

·
Registered
05 OB XT Ltd; 98 OB Ltd
129 Posts
There are 2.5+ million people in southwest BC (ie. all of Greater Vancouver and Vancouver Island), and I've only seen two other XTs on the road... Wait, 3, if you count a champagne monotone with Washington State plates, bound for the ski hill at Whistler..

Mudge, you asked "where the **** are they all?"

Around here, they seem to mostly be on the dealers' lots.

It's partly price, but mostly--this is my hunch anyway--the prospective turbo buyer expects more "flash," and is probably not thinking 'wagon.' (or if they are, they're often younger, and interested in the Legacy GTversion). The 'basic Outback' buyer is just that, and is unlikely to be steered toward the turbo, higher fuel costs*, and a much higher price. The 6 cylinder Outback shopper wants refinement (silky smooth acceleration, pristine ivory coloured leather interior, wood accents) and/or maximum safety features (VDC).

No, I think the prospective OBXT customer is very much a niche-type market right now, but I also believe that as word gets out about what these cars can really do, this will change some. In the meantime, I'm content to just drive around smiling, a bit smug in the knowledge that it may look like a shiny gampa-wagon, but it's really a rocket waiting for launch sequence.

*While waiting for a salesman to come back from lunch last month, I watched with interest as a well-heeled 40-ish woman and her equally well-heeled father came into the dealership and ooh-aah'ed the XT on display. They sat in it , checked it all out, and didn't bat an eye at the sticker price. When a sales guy came over to do the schmooze, she had lots of questions and liked all the answers, esp. the 250 horses, UNTIL he told her it took premium fuel. Her reply was that with gas prices up so much, she'd NEVER buy a car that takes premium; end of discussion. They walked over to look at the base 2.5... Interesting to watch. It was so apparent from her own car, clothes and bling, that $$$ to buy a car was no issue, but paying "all that extra" for high test? No way! (Like maybe $20 a month extra, right?!) Truly, I think, the new car purchase decision is not one based on reason, for many people (and thus, I suppose, was born the 'art' of selling.) At any rate, that scenario I watched unfold underscores a big XT marketing challenge for Subaru.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whitlow said:
While waiting for a salesman to come back from lunch last month, I watched with interest as a well-heeled 40-ish woman and her equally well-heeled father came into the dealership and ooh-aah'ed the XT on display. They sat in it , checked it all out, and didn't bat an eye at the sticker price. When a sales guy came over to do the schmooze, she had lots of questions and liked all the answers, esp. the 250 horses, UNTIL he told her it took premium fuel. Her reply was that with gas prices up so much, she'd NEVER buy a car that takes premium; end of discussion. They walked over to look at the base 2.5... Interesting to watch. It was so apparent from her own car, clothes and bling, that $$$ to buy a car was no issue, but paying "all that extra" for high test? No way! (Like maybe $20 a month extra, right?!) Truly, I think, the new car purchase decision is not one based on reason, for many people (and thus, I suppose, was born the 'art' of selling.) At any rate, that scenario I watched unfold underscores a big XT marketing challenge for Subaru.
I think you are right on in your overall assessment. I have not witnessed the same thing directly, but know exactly what you mean. In my discussions with other people, they shudder more at the premium gas requirement than at the gas mileage. Admittedly, together they might add up to @$30 on a 1000 mile month.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
Mudge said:

I think you are right on in your overall assessment. I have not witnessed the same thing directly, but know exactly what you mean. In my discussions with other people, they shudder more at the premium gas requirement than at the gas mileage. Admittedly, together they might add up to @$30 on a 1000 mile month.
And that is only $350 per year or $1750 over a 5 year ownership period. Small price to pay for the performance. If you can afford the XT, you can afford the extra gas.

People really do get hung-up on the premium gas thing, even though that's no more then a $150 per year difference. I guess people hate feeling like they are paying more for nothing every time they are at the pump.

It's the same phenomenon with hybrid cars. People love the great gas mileage, but they will never recover the price premium they paid for the car, not at the current gas prices anyway. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good reasons to buy a hybrid, but saving money is not one of them!

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Simple solution to that would be to bike to work. Infinity miles per gallon, but correspondingly, I am known a real scavenger at work, eating all the leftovers from meetings, luncheons and stuff. I never pass up free food.

Hey, if your gas station has those 5cent off mondays or so, you can even get about $.80 off on a full tank..ooohhhh.. ;)

Jay

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jay H said:
Simple solution to that would be to bike to work. Infinity miles per gallon...Jay
Agreed. Walking's good, too :29:

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sduford said:
People really do get hung-up on the premium gas thing, even though that's no more then a $150 per year difference. I guess people hate feeling like they are paying more for nothing every time they are at the pump.

It's the same phenomenon with hybrid cars. People love the great gas mileage, but they will never recover the price premium they paid for the car, not at the current gas prices anyway. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good reasons to buy a hybrid, but saving money is not one of them!
Is there any indication that higher octane burns cleaner or dirtier?

·
Registered
05 Outback LL Bean atlantic blue/silver
156 Posts
Subarus sell very well here in Corvallis.Although Its a town of only 50,000, It has the state university and the largest hewlett Packard plant in the country. Drive downtown and I bet you can count one out of every 15 cars are subies. Cadilacs are very rare. Most folks who live here are very active in outdoor sports and endeavors. I've seen at least six OBXT models since we bought our bean in october. We Loove our Subarus:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd.
23 Posts
In the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area, were I drive a bunch, I have seen only two (2) other 05 XT's on the road. But, around here we have many, many older outbacks and subies on the road.

I think as folks find out how great this car is, I will see more out there.

hosscat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts