Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have made an expensive mistake. I had to bring my 98 to a shop due to a bad rear wheel bearing and my lacking of tools to properly do the job, and its now been a week of them fiddling with my car because as soon as they torque down the axle nut, the entire assembly seizes. They've already pulled out the bearing twice, upsold me on new brakes, and they're blaming the knuckle it comes in. Can someone put my mind to ease that I'm not going to have to replace the transmission or the entirety of the rear suspension? Is this some sort of common issue with the 98s?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,916 Posts
Not common unless the person working on it f'd up or the wrong part is installed. I'll go with both.

Is this a 98 Outback, or Impreza Outback Sport?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not common unless the person working on it f'd up or the wrong part is installed. I'll go with both.

Is this a 98 Outback, or Impreza Outback Sport?
Impreza Outback Sport, and what would you think they messed up?

·
Premium Member
15,916 Posts
Never mind, I searched your other posts. Impreza Outback Sport.

Rear wheel bearing is part 28016AA030. National part number is 513248.
The hub is part 28469FE000. Dorman is part 930-502 and FEQ part is SPK502.

Now there's either a problem with one or both parts and they aren't mating properly, or, they are trying to put the wrong part in. All the Impreza models of this year use the same part numbers.

·
Premium Member
15,916 Posts
If it's binding when they install the axle nut, then the hub is pushing against the spindle, or the axle is being pulled in to the spindle. This is either a problem with the parts or the installation of the correct parts. You apparently drove the car to them and the wheel would rotate. So now, something they've done is causing a problem.

Does the hub turn without the rear rotor on the hub? If it does, then it's the rotor is jammed on something, which can either be the rotor or the hub they installed is allowing the rotor to hit the backing plate or spindle.

All kinds of things are possible. If I could see pics of the wheel assembly from all angles I can tell you what it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will go tomorrow as early as I can come up with an excuse for, take as many pictures as I can, and post a drive folder. If you could find the issue, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, would you happen to know where I could get a blown out picture of a wheel assembly as a reference, just in case?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, I'll offer this to them, in case that may help. I might just need to look into finding a good repair manual for this car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like they figured it out. Just got a call saying it's moving around without seizing. Took it on 3 drives so far without problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts