Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've got the classic sell or keep dilemma on my hands. I have a 2005 outback 2.5xt, it has 185,000 miles.:cool:

My father bought a newer nicer car for himself and I now have the option to take his 2011 Dodge Durango with 160k on it, or keep my Outback. The Durango got a new engine and transmission at 100k, and two more trans before that. It's all highway miles and runs great right now.

For the outback, I've done regular 3500k synthetic oil changes, kept the banjo filters clean, transmission fluid, new rear struts and it has held up well so far. Original engine and trans, but headgaskets have never been done, and the front struts are pretty much out. Engine still purrs away like it's a new car. It does however leak oil, from multiple places, almost all from the oil pump behind the timing belt (no oil on belt though). I was thinking of fixing it along with the timing belt at 200k.

What do you guys think, anybody else out there with high mileage xt's? I don't know how long it would last and if I could expect 250k or more out of the outback without any huge service needed.:unsure: I kind of like the idea of using one car forever and keeping it running, but not sure if it makes economical sense for the ol' wallet. It was my first car and I still love driving it after many years, but in the end of the day it's still 15 years old with 185,000 miles...

Also the outback gets better fuel mileage and the Durango is a 7 seater which is a little large for me.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
154 Posts
If you enjoy doing your own repairs I'd say keep it. If you need to take it to a mechanic for most things or it stresses you out if something breaks, then it might be time to let it go.

If I know the history and things have always been serviced, high mileage doesn't scare me a bit. I have 98 Wrangler with almost 190k on it. But I've been through everything, know what's been done and what will need attention. I wouldn't trade it for someone else's Jeep with lower milage if I didn't know the history of the maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,364 Posts
I'm not sure that a vehicle that needed the transmission replaced three times and the engine once by 100k would be very high on my list.

Then again anything with 160k or 185k could be a ticking time bomb. If you are getting the Durango for free I would sell the one you can get the most money for and keep the cheapest one. Set the money aside and add to it while driving whatever one you keep. Then when that one dies hopefully you have enough saved to upgrade to something newer and better.

Or more likely based on my past I would keep both of them and tinker with one while driving the other. When one starts having issues park that one and drive the other and work on the spare so it is ready to go the next round.😄

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '05 AWD Pontiac Vibe
341 Posts
Geeze 3 trans in 100k miles...keep your Subie.

As stated above, a car that is old but you have had a long time is worth more to me then another older car that I've just started owning. You know everything that has been done and needs to be done as well as how well the engine has been cared for. This is worth quite a bit when talking about old cars.

Plus a Subaru will be much more reliable than an FCA vehicle. Yes you will have to replace mechanical things in the Subie but once that is done it will still keep ticking reliably for many years

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,325 Posts
2 engines and 4 transmissions in 160k?

Original plus new plus new plus new plus engine.

Keep the XT.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
42 Posts
Keep XT - no doubt about it in my mind. You know your car and its maintenance history vs getting a car that has "history"

My 08XT has 155K miles and I would not trade it straight up for most new cars out there :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Definitely keep it if you have the skills and resources to maintain it. It may give you more quality miles.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
369 Posts
Keep the XT Dodge will eat you up in gas and repairs unless you need the room. As you can see its already had several major things replaced its only a matter of time before another trans goes.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
372 Posts
Agree keep the XT and follow your plan for the next timing belt change.
My 05 GT wagon just rolled 288,000 miles the other day. Granted not much on the car has that many mile but a lot of the parts that came on the car are still there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts