Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Outback LTD EJ25
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done any non bolt-on mods (engine internals, cams etc) in this forum?? i'm wondering if anyone has ever pulled any serious power out of the EJ25 in NA form... I'm tossing up whether its gonna be worth while sticking with the NA motor or building an EJ25T... big power is cheap and easy with the turbo motors...

Has anyone ever put a shift kit through the 4spd auto... there are a couple of 9 second WRX drag cars here that run the auto box from a liberty/legacy with an interface module to eliminate the need for running the factory ecu (controls the engine and trans) the subaru 5 speeds break too easily.. and going for a decent dog box starts at about $10k over here....

i have rebuilt my engine with oversize forged pistons, shaved heads for heaps more compression, oversize bearings etc in the bottom end. etc etc... got all the usual mods too.. exhaust, intake etc. plus i have lowered it as they are no where near high enough to go proper 4wd'ing.. certainly not here in Australia anyway ;) and put a set of slotted rotors on the front.

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback, 2.5L, cat back high performace exhaust
15 Posts
Serious Mods for NA

Sounds like you've done quite a bit to your OB already. Wish I could but the laws where I live are very strict on emissons. Check out Cobb tuning webb site. They currently are showing the rebuild of a 4 valve NA for lots of HP. They have one of the best sites to check out what's available here.

I looked at the mods that can be done but the problem I see is that by the time you get it built up to decent HP and redo the drive line to handle the HP you've spent just about enough to buy and STI.

Even if I did the mods I couldn't get it on the road legally so I'll just wait for a high HP model OB to come out or buy an STI when it's time for a new ride.

·
Registered
97 Outback LTD EJ25
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just remember, nothing's illegal til they catch you! ;)

as for emissions, we dont have to have inspections here in Canberra, Australia anymore which is good for this sort of thing... you just have to dodge the mobile vehicle inspectors ;)

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback, 2.5L, cat back high performace exhaust
15 Posts
emissions testing gets tougher in our state

I'm a big fan of it's only illegal if they catch you when it comes to victim-less crimes like running headers and high flow cats that meet emission requirements but aren't really legal.

They just added OBDII testing to our state emissions tests. You could probably get away with knocking the 3rd brick out but you can't put in a fix for the dreaded CEL that you get from high flow cats. They actually check the out puts from the O2 sensors.

The only way around it is to get an emission exemption for driving less that 5K a year. Maybe I could unhook the odometer?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts