Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Outback Limited with 130K miles.

Warm or cold, there is a serious shaking of the steering wheel and a loud knocking and/or scraping sound when taking right turns, whether at very slow speed or high speed. The tighter the turn, the greater the symptoms. The sound originates from the front end, passenger side. It is a very strong wobbling of the steering wheel (versus strongly felt wobbling of the tires, all fairly new and balanced).

The wobble and sound quickly dissipate once the wheel is straightened.

At one point, it seemed more pronounced on acceleration. Braking does not SEEM to be related, but not sure.

This problem disappeared for a month, but totally disappeared, and now it is back even more forcefully.

The rubber boots at the inner CV joints, both sides, are not cracked, and in theory, the prior owner had the front axles replaced at 121K miles.

I would love any suggestions you can make..........

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
Welcome aboard, Joe!

I'm thinking you could have a caliper with a sticking slide pin or piston. Another thing could be a tie rod end or wheel bearing.

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6
86 Posts
If the sound and wobble is more pronounced in a turn, it is likely a wheel bearing. Jack the front wheel off the ground and see if you get movement at 3 and 9 o`clock and also at 6 and 12. Do this on both sides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem Solved

The problem, in the end, involved two things.

The scraping sound I was hearing was a worn wheel bearing in the right front wheel, loudest when turning right.

The very loud metal knocking i was hearing, loudest when turning right, was a failed CV joint (presumably) so the right axle was replaced.

The wheel bearing was replaced first, front end reassembled, and car driven to confirm scraping was gone and knocking was not. The right axle was then replaced to solve the latter.

Thank you to those who responded.

Joe

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
Hmmm, bad wheel bearing on the side the axle had been previously replaced?

If so I'm guessing a high liklihood it was not properly re-assembled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, you are right, or more likely I am afraid, is that I was told by the seller the work was done and it was not.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,620 Posts
Hmmm, bad wheel bearing on the side the axle had been previously replaced?

If so I'm guessing a high liklihood it was not properly re-assembled.
wonder if the axle nut was torqued with full weight on the ground?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
The manual goes so far as to say *any* weight on the wheel before torquing can damage the bearing.

Probably only likely if the inner races aren't fully seated against each other, which on replacement doesn't happen until the axle nut is tightened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts