Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Legacy
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am new to the forum as I recently purchased my first Subaru. My job requires me to travel all over Virginia and through very rough terrain. When I say rough terrain I mean literally up mountains. Subaru could literally make a reliability/tough commercial to show off capabilities of Subaru s.

I currently have the 2010 Subaru Legacy and I need to add a 3 to 4 inch lift however when I contacted my local off road companies they informed me they could not find anything for my vehicle. I figured I would ask the real experts, you all. Anyone know where I can find the necessary parts and what do I actually need part wise to perform a lift on my vehicle?

Thanks and I look forward to your responses and seeing future discussions.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
3-4" is a lot for an Outback to be lifted really. 2-3" isn't nearly as hard, and will provide a pretty significant improvement for offroad performance. Springs and spacers will get you there, and a bit taller tire allowed will add to that.

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
If the roads are really as bad as you suggest, then you had better buy a different vehicle, say a 4Runner. Something with a frame, skidplates and low range transfer case.

If they aren't that bad, then you probably don't need 4 inches of lift.

BTW welcome to the forum.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Guys... he's not asking about an OB, he's asking about the sedan... the car. Sounds like he's trying to give a Legacy the OB suspension.

I few people on here have looked for a way to "lower" thier OB to the Legacy level and bout all the parts to do that.

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum as I recently purchased my first Subaru. My job requires me to travel all over Virginia and through very rough terrain. When I say rough terrain I mean literally up mountains. Subaru could literally make a reliability/tough commercial to show off capabilities of Subaru s.

I currently have the 2010 Subaru Legacy and I need to add a 3 to 4 inch lift however when I contacted my local off road companies they informed me they could not find anything for my vehicle. I figured I would ask the real experts, you all. Anyone know where I can find the necessary parts and what do I actually need part wise to perform a lift on my vehicle?

Thanks and I look forward to your responses and seeing future discussions.
It is worth noting I have heard that the Legacy and the OB do not share the same rear axel or tranny so typically a raising for the Legacy might require the OB suspension parts and a possibly a different tranny and axel. That's right the transmission and the axel go together.

I think your cheapest route would be to find a local in the area that wants a lowered OB and do a direct swap part for part so that you would not need to pay much out of pocket. Of course the issues associated with that are, well you can imagine. What happens if only one of the cars has a successful swap for example.

Barring that a totaled OB might be the most practical solution. Buy a wrecked OB with good suspension (good luck finding one), tranny and axel and do the swap that way. The actual swap might be the easy part, a lot of that stuff is bolt on.

Here are some OB threads that might give you ideas:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/47386-2010-outback-3-6r-lowered-2.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/22766-king-springs-here-3.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/41608-lifting-gen4-10-12-outback-legacy.html

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
I think your cheapest route would be to find a local in
the area that wants a lowered OB ...
Better yet, find a 2010 OB for sale. Buy it. Sell the Legacy.

...or trade it in for a Forester,

Looby

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Better yet, find a 2010 OB for sale. Buy it. Sell the Legacy.

...or trade it in for a Forester,

Looby
Well sometimes the most obvious answer is the easiest solution. Easier not always = Cheaper.

We have a joke at my work, "If there is a way to make it more complicated, we will find it!"

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
By the time its all said and done, swapping in OB struts and some slightly taller springs and some spacers will probably cost less than the taxes, fees, and differences in costs of getting the whole OB. I suspect there's a reason the OP doesn't want to swap into a truckish ride.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Legacy
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would actually swap it for the OB but I just bought it and financing is difficult. The OB wasn't an option at the time so I didn't go that route. I do appreciate the advice though. I have talked to a local shop and getting a custom lift kit fabbed would be 1500 so I guess that is the route to take. I would do a swap for someone that wanted to lower however as said above the issue is one party ending up unsuccessful.

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I would actually swap it for the OB but I just bought it and financing is difficult. The OB wasn't an option at the time so I didn't go that route. I do appreciate the advice though. I have talked to a local shop and getting a custom lift kit fabbed would be 1500 so I guess that is the route to take. I would do a swap for someone that wanted to lower however as said above the issue is one party ending up unsuccessful.
You are going to DESTROY the resale value - and it will be really hard to sell. Be sure to figure that into the equation.

Good luck on your project.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I have talked to a local shop and getting a custom lift kit fabbed would be 1500 so I guess that is the route to take.
Good lord no! Spend more time reading the threads here, you'll find sources of spacers and springs, and you'd spend less than that swapping in Outback struts and springs.
I would do a swap for someone that wanted to lower however as said above the issue is one party ending up unsuccessful.
I wondered where you got that idea, but looking back I think you are referring to this:
It is worth noting I have heard that the Legacy and the OB do not share the same rear axel or tranny so typically a raising for the Legacy might require the OB suspension parts and a possibly a different tranny and axel. That's right the transmission and the axel go together.
I think Novablue is confusing the differential ratio issue with the suspensions. The suspensions are not impacted by the diff ratios. They can be interchanged, the only issue in some generations of Legacy vs Outback or other Subaru donor vehicles is spring 'tophats' (upper spring seats) not being right. If you swap whole struts, this is NOT an issue. There should be NO problem swapping struts and springs between most iterations of Legacy and Outback within the same generation/year.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Legacy
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know the resale value will be messed up but if I rip off the bottom of the vehicle it won't be worth anything. I am not being a smart ass at all it is just if you saw the terrain I was rolling through you would agree I need a lift. But thank you for the well wishes.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
All the same when you figure it out, drop by and give us some picts!!!

Subaru used to make an OB sedan, they just were not popular. To the right buyer, resale value might actually go up... to the right buyer.

I remember reading on here that the axle ratios are different on the Legacy and OB. I do not know this first hand. I just brought it up in case it was an issue worth considering.

I think everyone here so far would like to see you have a successful story, it's just a lot of research that we don't have first hand experience with.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
"If there is a way to make it more complicated, we will find it!"
Never design-in one moving part when three will do.

..."The Quality Goes In Before The Name Falls Off"

Looby

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
618 Posts
Never mind the lift... put some skid plates under the motor, tranny, and diff before you destroy something. Then the OB suspension.

Best guess to swap to an OB suspension:
1. Struts - front and rear
2. Swaybar mounts (lower in the rear for sure)
3. Rear subframe spacer (Outback has longer ones)
4. Possibly a steering arm. Might be longer in the Outback. Swing into a friendly dealership and ask them to measure it for you.

Or, look into lift springs (from King most likely, contact Paul at Primitive Rally) and lift spacers on top of the struts. This is probably good for about a 2 inch lift.

In either case, add a slightly taller all-terrain tire (I like the Yokohama Geolandar AT/S, General Grabber2 is another popular choice) to get another half inch of truly usable lift. Odds are your stock tires are meh off-road, anyways.

I've lifted my Outback, and have my stock springs and struts (minus the top hats) sitting in a box gathering dust... If you go the OB route and want them, make an offer. You would need top hats, you can probably use yours. I doubt the spring diameters are different between Outbacks and Legacies of the same generation.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
You are going to DESTROY the resale value - and it will be really hard to sell. Be sure to figure that into the equation.

Good luck on your project.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
John never makes sense when people say they don't have the money to get the right car but can afford to trash a new car trying to make it into a car it will never be LOL. Then not only do they loose money in damaged value to a modified goofy car - but they spent money they didn't have to modify it..
Some times you just shake your head and walk away.

Having said all that I lived with a Legacy GT Limited for 11yrs doing some seriously stupid off road adventures with it never got stuck and after 11yrs it even still had its GT plastic bits hanging off the low areas. Do you drive differently than you would with 8.5 inches? Sure you do but not by much given 5inches of clearance and soft unprotected under side is not that much different than 8.5 inches of clearance when you driving down a dirt road full of rocks and holes your not getting out of the car to measure them before you pass by them.
Put some under body armor on the Legacy and spend a year or two living with it before you decide to ruin its value and apparently spend money you don't have.

All the stupid places I took the Legacy only time I figured more ground clearance would have been good was crossing a mud bog on private ranch land owned by a friend who was infront of me in a Nissan Hardbody 4x4 truck on big tires which had mud up to its axles. The GT slogged right on through even with rocks felt rolling under the floor boards. LOL

All the other big off road adventures it was easy enough to work around and through the rough spots with little to no delay add some under body armor and its even a little easier to cross through stuff given your not as worried about a rock taking out some expensive parts. By the way those plastic bumpers are nearly as costly to replace as a rear diff.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Only time I found that you drive off road differently regarding vehicle height is when your on big tires that are built for such use.

11yrs off roading with the legacy I don't see my self doing anything differently with the Outback. However!!! 7yrs owning a Landcruiser with large off road tires and a solid front axle those rocks and holes you avoid at all costs in the legacy and outback are now interesting play things in the Landcruiser.

·
Registered
97 Outback 230000
1,138 Posts
I do not like those big rocks. When I took a wrong turn one night I ended up on the Rubicon and had to replace a fog light assembly when I got back from the trip.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I do not like those big rocks. When I took a wrong turn one night I ended up on the Rubicon and had to replace a fog light assembly when I got back from the trip.
Yep the #1 limiting factor to the Legacy and the OB are the soft bits on both ends. Which adding a few inches doesn't really change much in regards to the soft stuff at both ends.

The used prices on cars up through about 2008 are so high right now that a 2010 legacy will sell for nearly what new one's sell for. The loss one might take to sell vs buy a different car of similar price will be far far less than the money spent on trying to modify the legacy.

He could sell the Legacy and pick him self up a brand new XV for pretty much the same price. The XV is probably the most capable of all the Subaru offerings regarding entry and departure angles and it even comes with a good tire brand with some off road history.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts