Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Touring
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just complete service D for my 2013 Outback 2.5i, which cost me $1250 ($1100 plus tax). Labor $135/hour for 5.3 hours. parts cost $380. Any ideas if it makes sense?

BTW, the milage is only 75000km. I know Toyota can do service based on milage rather than time. Why Subaru can't do that?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
"service D???"

I don't know how Subaru Canada or their individual dealers do things, but you should be aware that the way the game is played south of the 49th parallel goes like this:

Subaru of America publishes a schedule of maintenance required to maintain warranty status.

Individual dealers then create a menu of options which include and supersede these requirements- essentially they are offering to do what is required plus 3 or 4 other things that sound nice but aren't actually required. They give this package a name like "25,000 mile maintenance suite" or "service A-Z" and put a flat price on it. If you authorize them to do the service they have named, then they get you.

The alternative is to take the time to dig out your owner's manual and look up the maintenance table. When you take the car in, you authorize the specific services you want done to preserve your warranty status- oil change, tire rotation, brake bleed... it almost doesn't matter what it is, it's going to be a lot cheaper than the inflated packages offered by the dealer.

In summary, the dealer is creating a convenient way for you to over-maintain your car for their own profitable benefit. There is nothing wrong with doing that, but you can save money by getting further involved and managing things yourself.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,286 Posts
Just complete service D for my 2013 Outback 2.5i, which cost me $1250 ($1100 plus tax). Labor $135/hour for 5.3 hours. parts cost $380. Any ideas if it makes sense?

BTW, the milage is only 75000km. I know Toyota can do service based on milage rather than time. Why Subaru can't do that?
No, doesn't make sense but that is what they charge for SP D.... The parts were: CVT fluid, diff fluid, engine oil, spark plugs?
I can also guarantee they did not take 5.3 hours to do the work, more like 2-3. 5.3 is what "the book says" it takes...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"service D???"

I don't know how Subaru Canada or their individual dealers do things, but you should be aware that the way the game is played south of the 49th parallel goes like this:

Subaru of America publishes a schedule of maintenance required to maintain warranty status.

Individual dealers then create a menu of options which include and supersede these requirements- essentially they are offering to do what is required plus 3 or 4 other things that sound nice but aren't actually required. They give this package a name like "25,000 mile maintenance suite" or "service A-Z" and put a flat price on it. If you authorize them to do the service they have named, then they get you.

The alternative is to take the time to dig out your owner's manual and look up the maintenance table. When you take the car in, you authorize the specific services you want done to preserve your warranty status- oil change, tire rotation, brake bleed... it almost doesn't matter what it is, it's going to be a lot cheaper than the inflated packages offered by the dealer.

In summary, the dealer is creating a convenient way for you to over-maintain your car for their own profitable benefit. There is nothing wrong with doing that, but you can save money by getting further involved and managing things yourself.
Thanks. the dealer didn't mention they will do more than the schedule as indicated below. It seems like a stand D.
https://www.subaru.ca/content/7907/Media/General/webimage/500k/2012_MaintenancePoster_EN.pdf

it is said in the schedule the service D takes 4.3 to 5.5 hours depending on engine size. but my size is 2.5L so I assume 4.3 hours should be enough. I also compared service c and d. I don't think D takes much more time than C. Nobody knows if 5.3 hours are reasonable but we can barely argue with them about the time they used.

I am pretty sure my car has been over-maintained. I guess the most awful thing is we never know the time they used. they just write a number that equal to or a little smaller than the schedule, while we never have a chance to challenge that number.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, doesn't make sense but that is what they charge for SP D.... The parts were: CVT fluid, diff fluid, engine oil, spark plugs?
I can also guarantee they did not take 5.3 hours to do the work, more like 2-3. 5.3 is what "the book says" it takes...
Thanks. I know my car doesn't need service D considering I only drive 75000km. they will never work for 5.3 hours. maybe only half of it.

They also quote the brake pad change for $700...That really sucks.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5
66 Posts
What dealer did you go to?

I'm at 103k right now so I'm a bit late doing my scheduled maintenance. According to the website this is what I would be asking them to do, everything I've done myself or can get someone else to do:

Service and lubricate front and rear brakes *
Inspect brake pads and linings
Inspect axle boot condition
Inspect and adjust drive belt tension if necessary
Lubricate all latches, hinges and locks (hood, doors, fuel door and trunk lid)
Test engine coolant for strength (-35°C) and inspect hoses and clamps
Replace spark plugs
Service fuel injection system (Terra Clean)
Replace transmission fluid (Automatic, Manual and CVT)
Perform AT bleeding
Perform AT learning on 4AT, 5AT and CVT
Replace front differential oil on AT and CVT
Replace rear differential oil
Replace spark plugs on all models
Road test vehicle

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
it is said in the schedule the service D takes 4.3 to 5.5 hours depending on engine size. but my size is 2.5L so I assume 4.3 hours should be enough. I also compared service c and d. I don't think D takes much more time than C. Nobody knows if 5.3 hours are reasonable but we can barely argue with them about the time they used.

I am pretty sure my car has been over-maintained. I guess the most awful thing is we never know the time they used. they just write a number that equal to or a little smaller than the schedule, while we never have a chance to challenge that number.
Did you approve the work before it was performed? If so I don't see any problem.

You are not being charged by the hour. You are being charged by the job. A master tech may well do the job in half the time while it may take a rookie twice as long.

The time to complete the task is irrelevant. You agreed to pay $1250 ($950 or so US) for a specific service.

Much better to have an over maintained vehicle than one under maintained.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
329 Posts
Guys, please do yourselves a favour by going to a good independent garage ! You can buy good pads / rotors online for a good price and labour rates will be much better than the dealership.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Guys, please do yourselves a favour by going to a good independent garage ! You can buy good pads / rotors online for a good price and labour rates will be much better than the dealership.
+1

Really no sense going to the dealer unless you are under warranty and aren't paying for it, or need to go there specifically to be eligible for warranty.

Give Gords Auto a call in Vancouver, they have always done me right at a really affordable price on my old ass 1997 subaru.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts