Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 XT developed an oil leak around the pan and pressure switch. Car has been at dealer between 2-3 weeks now and they can t seem to locate parts for the job. They have been calling and updating me and gave me a loaner Outback to use. My car is a lease and I am wondering if I call SOA if they will credit me any money for my down time. I don t want to call them yet for 2 reasons. 1.Not sure how long this will go on. 2. I want to keep a good feeling between the service department and myself and thought maybe they d be getting calls or pressure from SOA and then just rush the job thru to get it off their plate. I ve had 7 Subaru s and currently have two at the moment. Anyone have any experience with such??

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
398 Posts
Call SOA. They might be able to expedite the parts. I was waiting on parts for my Focus ST shortly after I bought it. My dealer could not get them for weeks. I called Ford customer service and the parts were overnighted from another dealer that had been sitting on them. May or may not work (given the current supply chain situation), but at least worth contacting them to see if they can do anything. In my case, my service writer was actually happy I called, since he had been trying to get parts with no luck.

Noting I had a good relationship with this particular service writer, so I believe he was trying and failing to get parts when I got Ford to step in.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a feeling we will start seeing more posts like this due to the current market/economy/etc...

Technically, depending on your state, you can be eligible for a "buyback" if it goes over 30 days or so in the shop, but it doesn't sound like you want that though. SOA should be receptive of covering 1 or 2 lease payments as opposed to buying back the whole car. BUT, considering the current market/economy, I don't know how busy the SOA call center & their agents are or how much of a backlog they have.

As far as the delay in parts needed for your car, you are now at the mercy of the part manufacturer and distribution/logistics (ships, trains, trucks, couriers, etc). Yes, there might be a slim chance that SOA can find the part at another dealership in the country but that dealership may not be receptive of letting it go and keeping it for their own clients. I've personally waited for over 4-5 months for parts to arrive on several occasions with different manufacturers..

If it were me, I would milk this cow; ride it out and get as many miles out of the loaner vehicle that is allowed, allowing me to conserve the miles on my own car to use for more trips!

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just called SOA and the dealer had already called in the concern of lack of part (for me/or to cover them) to SOA. They had open case already on file. They also have put out an upgraded parts search. A supervisor will return my call in which I can speak further with.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,959 Posts
I am failing to see what the actual problem is.

Your leased Outback is in the shop for a warranty repair and you have a loaner Outback for the duration your vehicle is in the shop.

You still have a vehicle to drive and you are still paying lease payments. You are putting mileage on a loan vehicle while your vehicle mileage is staying the same.

This sounds good to me.

Seagrass

·
Premium Member
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
94 Posts
I am failing to see what the actual problem is.

Your leased Outback is in the shop for a warranty repair and you have a loaner Outback for the duration your vehicle is in the shop.

You still have a vehicle to drive and you are still paying lease payments. You are putting mileage on a loan vehicle while your vehicle mileage is staying the same.

This sounds good to me.

Seagrass
Think of it this way. The loaner is racking up mileage, while your leased vehicle sits still with zero miles accumulated. That means less ouch in the wallet at end of the lease if you are over the agreed number of miles. Some leases charge certain amounts over per mile. One neighbor with a lease went over the agreed mileage by a considerable margin and ended up having to buy the car. He would have faced a $2,500 penalty. (It was not a Subaru.) He has never leased another vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT - Autumn Green
126 Posts
My car is at Autobody shop right now and they're having trouble finding a rear passenger side door. It's been at the shop for 3 weeks now, and I'm driving a rental car from Enterprise. I don't mind waiting for the parts to come in as long as I have a vehicle I can use.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,250 Posts
I waited two months on a windshield. It broke in July, didn't have it installed until the end of September.

• Wow
Reactions: ragnar

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness with moonroof package
198 Posts
Underguards ordered in early July. Three are in, but no sign of the fourth or any of the required parts kits. Not happy about it, but there's nothing anyone can do so I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist. Embrace the suck, as was often said in such situations while in the Army.

·
Registered
1993 Loyalle/Manual, 2004 Outback 2.5/Manual, 2009 Outback Limited 2.5/Auto, 2015 Outback Limited 2.5
67 Posts
My 2020 XT developed an oil leak around the pan and pressure switch. Car has been at dealer between 2-3 weeks now and they can t seem to locate parts for the job. They have been calling and updating me and gave me a loaner Outback to use. My car is a lease and I am wondering if I call SOA if they will credit me any money for my down time. I don t want to call them yet for 2 reasons. 1.Not sure how long this will go on. 2. I want to keep a good feeling between the service department and myself and thought maybe they d be getting calls or pressure from SOA and then just rush the job thru to get it off their plate. I ve had 7 Subaru s and currently have two at the moment. Anyone have any experience with such??
If they gave me an equivalent loaner I wouldn’t care if they kept it a year.

·
Registered
2020 Limited Magnetite Grey
121 Posts
This may work out in your favor. Given the current market, at the end of your lease lower miles may be the best thing that happened to you. Buy it out and sell it to carmax for a profit. Something to think about :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts