Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2012, Outback, 3.6R
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought in my OB for its 15k service. The customer service guy told me I should get my cabin filter replaced and an alignment. I see nothing of that in the manual.

Can I assume it is the service department trying to fleece me for extra cash?

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R Limited
352 Posts
I would consider replacing the cabin filter yourself with a Wix or Puralator brand filter. Easy to do. Do you see any abnormal wear on your tires to need an alignment?

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 LTD with Nav & Sunroof Pkg's
79 Posts
Unless you've nailed something like a big pothole etc. there should be nothing wrong with your allignment. I don't know the interval for the cabin air filter replacement but try find that out to see if its an upsell. **** stealerships :)

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
I believe I saw a youtube video posted by dealer mechanic on DIY replacement of that filter.

I know the filter in our van can get dirty faster than I expected so I doubt you're being taken advantage of. When they do that sell on my wife's van I ask to see it. The results have been a very dirty filter or somebody telling me it looks clean.

·
Registered
2012, Outback, 3.6R
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No wear on the tires and it rides perfectly straight. I can't find a service interval for the cabin filter either but will keep looking.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Cabin filter is every 15k, but very very very easy to do it yourself. Did I say it was easy? Search youtube for the video. I did my sisters and picked it up at Wal Mart for her, but I don't remember the cost. It was cheap though.

·
Registered
2012, Outback, 3.6R
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cabin filter is every 15k, but very very very easy to do it yourself. Did I say it was easy? Search youtube for the video. I did my sisters and picked it up at Wal Mart for her, but I don't remember the cost. It was cheap though.
Thanks. At least it wasn't a 100% upsell. I will check out the youtube.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I try to replace my cabing filter yearly, at least (which is approx 15k). In my experience over the past 5 years of owning a Subaru with a filter, they get dirty fast. One big sign I've notice is that your windows will fog up MUCH easier, and defog worse with a dirty filter. My assumption is the dirt traps moisture...

As mentioned, do it yourself. It is MUCh easier on the new gen OB. Amazon has Wix filters fairly cheap, and you can get them at most retailers now. I've read on other forums of people buying a house filter and cutting it to size... In theory that should work too. Just make sure you pay attention to the airflow, and install the filter the same way.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
334 Posts
I just brought in my OB for its 15k service. The customer service guy told me I should get my cabin filter replaced and an alignment. I see nothing of that in the manual.

Can I assume it is the service department trying to fleece me for extra cash?
Changing your cabin air filter at 15K is a good idea. I had thought that my driving was such that I wouldn't have a dirty cabin air filter but I was wrong. There are numerous good sources for the filter (other than the dealer) so save yourself the $80 to $90 that a dealer will charge and do it yourself. It should take you about 15 minutes the first time you do it and something like 5 to 10 minutes the second time.

See what a dirty filter looks like at 20K miles.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
I guess it might depend where you live. I have a 300' gravel driveway. I replaced the cabin filter in mine at 15k, and it was dirty.

The wheel alignment thing........If there is not odd tire wear, and it tracks true, I would skip it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It took me longer to dump all the stuff my wife had in the glove compartment than change the filter. It is a 5 minute job tops.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
No wear on the tires and it rides perfectly straight. I can't find a service interval for the cabin filter either but will keep looking.
A perfectly straight ride does not an alignment make. Drop by some place like National Tire and Battery or Tire Kingdom and they'll do a free alignment check. Since you're the second owner, it might not hurt to check.

I changed the cabin filter in my VW with every oil change (5k miles) just to keep up with the thing.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
#1 for sure if your car tires are wearing fine and you have no issues with it tracking funny NEVER have the DEALER fix something that is not BROKEN! Given you run a good chance of finding your self with a new issue you did not have prior to the DEALER fixing the Unbroken zero issue / Issue. LOL

The cabin filter is all based on your local area and conditions - go watch the youtube how to change your filter video buy a filter and change it if yours needs changing.

A dealer who just comes out suggesting a alignment would probably be on my **** list and I would probably tell them to button up the car and ask for my keys and go some place else.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
A dealer who just comes out suggesting a alignment would probably be on my **** list and I would probably tell them to button up the car and ask for my keys and go some place else.
I completely agree.

Alignments don't normally stop being true unless the car has a ton of miles or has been abused. Checking the tread at tire replacement time tells you all you need to know. (By the way I was a tire guy for 2 years and was certified to do alignments. ;) )

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
FWIW my 2012 came from the factory with the alignment totally jacked up. My dealer said they see many that way. They aligned it at about 4k miles under warranty.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
FWIW my 2012 came from the factory with the alignment totally jacked up. My dealer said they see many that way. They aligned it at about 4k miles under warranty.
Actually that is a really good point, shouldn't the alignment be covered under the 3yr/36k warranty?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Actually that is a really good point, shouldn't the alignment be covered under the 3yr/36k warranty?
My dealer said technically it is not covered, but they have a policy that during the warranty period the customer's first alignment is free, then after that you are on your own.

Unfortunately enough of our dishonest fellow human beings ("oh no, I NEVER hit a curb") ruin it for those of us with integrity. :rolleyes:

I should scan and post my alignment print out...you would be amazed how far out my Outback was from the factory.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
I should scan and post my alignment print out...you would be amazed how far out my Outback was from the factory.
Sometimes they have problems driving it onto and off the truck/carrier. This is a very pronounced problem with Nissan's in my area. Any alignment issues like this should be caught and corrected during the PDI.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
FWIW, my 2011's factory alignment was within Soobie's specs --
but the car "wandered" (obvious mainly on interstate road trips).

Anyhoo, my dealer re-aligned it to the center of the spec range.
That corrected the problem. Covered by warranty at 5500 mi.

Bottom line: if they believe in customer service, they just do it...

...if not, they quote "company policy"

Looby

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Sometimes they have problems driving it onto and off the truck/carrier. This is a very pronounced problem with Nissan's in my area. Any alignment issues like this should be caught and corrected during the PDI.
I know Saturn had a batch of cars that all of them had to get an alignment right off the truck something to do with a template that was switched to at the factory causing all the cars to end up with the wrong alignment.

However I can 100% tell you that no dealer racks a car to check alignment during PDI unless there is something that would raise their attention to the alignment being off to start with.

PDI with subarus can be in many cases be stripping the shipping plastic off the car and wheels giving it a quick squirt with the hose and rolling it out front. Hence why it is very very common to discover your new car has the tires inflated to 40psi.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts