Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after getting my head-gaskets done I've started planning out a major service to get my car in the best shape possible and I have a couple of questions. I have a 2001 OBW 2.5L manual and I'm planning on buying everything at rockauto at the moment.

This is my list so far:
Exedy Clutch Kit
Exedy Flywheel
Denso Upstream and Downstream O2 sensor
Dayco Aircon and idler, alternator and PS belts
WIX Fuel and Air Filters
Cardone Front Axels

From the reading I've done so far Exedy and Denso both make the OEM parts? And does anyone know if the Exedy clutch kit from Rockauto has the pressure plate and release bearing? Also wondering if there are preferred manufacturers for the filters and axles.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
So after getting my head-gaskets done I've started planning out a major service to get my car in the best shape possible and I have a couple of questions. I have a 2001 OBW 2.5L manual and I'm planning on buying everything at rockauto at the moment.

This is my list so far:
Exedy Clutch Kit
Exedy Flywheel
Denso Upstream and Downstream O2 sensor
Dayco Aircon and idler, alternator and PS belts
WIX Fuel and Air Filters
Cardone Front Axels

From the reading I've done so far Exedy and Denso both make the OEM parts? And does anyone know if the Exedy clutch kit from Rockauto has the pressure plate and release bearing? Also wondering if there are preferred manufacturers for the filters and axles.

No comment on the clutch kit, last time I needed one I paid someone else to do it.

Denso was the OEM for engine management parts for at least a lot of years of Subarus. You will need the OEM front sensor. You can cheat with generics in the rear position if money is tight, but don't mess with the front one.

You'll do fine with the wix filters. I found that Rock had Manns and Mahles for my Subaru for cheap, and went that route instead.

There are problems with aftermarket axles in Subarus! The axles work, but you wind up with an annoying vibration when you draw up to a stoplight. I have read other posts here suggesting that Autozone currently has ones which work, but you should research this further on this site before ordering from anyone.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
does your car have a cabin air filter or did that come a coupla years later?

the axles ARE a tough call. People have reported a wide range of experiences but, I might pay a little more to get rebuilts locally. That way, it's easier to get an exchange or refund if things go bad.

personally, I have had good luck on buying 2 EMPI axles from RockAuto. They are new chinese assembled axles.

But some folks here have experience with dozens/score of axles so, I'm not sure my limited experience would be better than anyone elses.

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
201 Posts
I've run both Cardones(new&rebuilt) with no issues, and have just added a reman NAPA(Subaru core) which is doing fine after a couple thousand miles. I will buy the NAPA again...seems a little higher quality boot/clamps and the fact it's a Subaru core is great also. Don't know if that's just "luck of the draw" or what. Next time(if need be) I'll go in to the local NAPA and ask to see their inventory of axles if I get some other brand, and try and find a genuine Subaru core.

·
Registered
288 Posts
..... does anyone know if the Exedy clutch kit from Rockauto has the pressure plate and release bearing? ......

Yes the Exedy kit comes with these parts.
You should replace the two springs that go onto the bearing. These are dealer only parts.

O.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts