Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have today received the invoice from our local dealer for carrying out the 50,000km scheduled service for my H6.

The total cost was $737.90 (about US$550).

This is about double what I had been expecting and significantly more than I have ever paid before. Although I know the 50km check is more involved than the earlier 10km/20km/30km/40km ones. It still seems damned expensive to me.

The car is still under warranty - otherwise I would have taken it to MIDAS - that's where I think we will be going after August if I havent traded up by then.

As I have been looking at a new 3.0R I would hope they have treated me fairly, nonetheless, I was wondering how this compares to others who have had the same service check perfomed recently.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Well, I did the 30k myself (30 thousand miles...) Everything but the one thing I thought Subaru should do...the Coolant flush/change. I will never again let them do that. I bought a fuel filter and they did the coolant change---$139 USD. That was very high for someone who always does their own maintenance.

I did, however save many a hundred more by doing my own brake fluid, the actual fuel filter, oil filter and change, plugs, manual tranny fluid, rear diff fluid.............

But I still think anything over $75 USD for a coolant flush/change is ridiculous. Brian

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I certainly think I will be going back to them - Recommended labour trime for this service in the handbook is 3 hrs (and I was charged $276 - $92 an hour). My poor old dad would turn in his grave if he thought mechanics were getting paid anything remotely resembling that these days!

Also, I see they have charged me for 12 litres of A/T fluid - the manual says it only holds 9.3 litres!

Hhhhmmmmm....

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
ottiehund said:
I have today received the invoice from our local dealer for carrying out the 50,000km scheduled service for my H6.

The total cost was $737.90 (about US$550)...
I was at the dealership earlier this week to pick up a part and while there I looked over their service menu which made me feel a little queasy. Their service plans were for every 10,000 miles and for every 10k service they wanted another $100 USD so like you the 50,000 services was $500 and so on. I was not going to pay more than $1000 for my next service.

I ended up asked them if they were hiring just so I could go to Subie mechanic school learn everything about Subies and do all my own maintenance.

Even so I'm glad I found a good independent certified Subie mechanic. Half the price of the dealership and probably twice the mechanic. The guy has been working on and racing Subies for more than 30 years.

The really cool thing is that he has two 360s there. One mini van and a micro sedan that could fit in the trunk of a Mini :eek:

Attachments

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OneOBS said:

To be effective, the ATF change/flush requires that you pump through some extra fluid until its clean. Sounds like they did it right. :29:

For what its worth, you can do the whole job yourself with expensive synthetic fluids for less than $80 (not counting your time).
Thanks for that info - I wondered if it was due to flushing the trans that the extra oil was used.

I know I can either do it myself cheaper (haven't done an oil change myself since I was a student with my 1974 Lancia Beta though I don't think), or go to MIDAs or somewhere similar and pay a lot less. But my car is still under factory warranty so until that expires (Auguat) I am pretty much obligated to have servicing done at Subaru Dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
jp928
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing