Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Touring 3.6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. About to lose my mind here.. 2017 Outback touring. I've followed the directions to a T. Press the learn button, jump in care, press 1 key for 2 seconds, release, (home symbol comes up blinking yellow), I press it again, it goes out, press it again home symbol comes up blinking yellow. I press again, but nothing..

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG.. UGH.. Pleas help..

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I haven't seen the instructions from Subaru yet, since I haven't picked up my car yet. But with the Homelink in my Q5 and my daughter's Routan, you have to first link your existing remote to the car (which doesn't involve the opener itself yet), then you link it to the opener itself. Perhaps you've done that, but your description doesn't mention that you did.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok guys. About to lose my mind here.. 2017 Outback touring. I've followed the directions to a T. Press the learn button, jump in care, press 1 key for 2 seconds, release, (home symbol comes up blinking yellow), I press it again, it goes out, press it again home symbol comes up blinking yellow. I press again, but nothing..

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG.. UGH.. Pleas help..
What, no. You lost me at step one and two ‘press learn button, jump in car’

Read directions again. You start and end inside your car, there is no jumping in.

Start up learn mode in homelink mirror, and hold door remote near mirror and activate it, hold its button in. Something something, slow down and read instructions through again.

Recap:
1 Garage door learn button is to learn your garage door remote.
2 Then you pair remote to homelink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here you go.

Whoa... there are 3 potential ways.
1 has always worked for me.
2 isnt too bad
3rd would suck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Touring 3.6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I didn't have a garage door opener to use to set the home link with so I was trying to do it via step 3. My wife got home and I used the controller and it worked perfect. Thanks for the feedback.. Loving the car so far.

·
Registered
2004 35th Aniversey Addition Outback ,2018 2.5I limited Outback
9 Posts
I had the same problem with my Genie garage door opener. On the Genie website they said that there is a issue with certain remotes.
Any how I called Home Link and the sent me a universal remote free of charge. I programed that to my garage door opener then used it to program my Home Link. Took about 30 seconds to program everything once I got the remote programed. Everything now works great.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Now that I have my new car, I have to say that this is the best working HomeLink I've ever had. I've had it in three prior cars, and all of them were not completely reliable on the three openers I configured. With the OB, one press of the button is all it ever takes, and I don't have to be particularly close to the garage to activate it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6 Limited
16 Posts
Now that I have my new car, I have to say that this is the best working HomeLink I've ever had. I've had it in three prior cars, and all of them were not completely reliable on the three openers I configured. With the OB, one press of the button is all it ever takes, and I don't have to be particularly close to the garage to activate it.
I completely agree! The range is fantastic. Used to have to basically be touching my driveway gate to open it in my X5. I can be around the corner from my house with my Outback.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5 w/Eyesight
3 Posts
Finally got my problem resolved....my garage door opener was too old to work with the new technology. New opener installed and both vehicles set up per directions.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited, w/ES, Ice Silver
600 Posts
I use one of the buttons to talk to my X10 wireless receiver, which allows me to turn on my outside lights when I’m pulling into the driveway. Yea, low tech, but it works!

I also agree that the coverage is good. It’s about 2x the distance vs my OE remote.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I completely agree! The range is fantastic. Used to have to basically be touching my driveway gate to open it in my X5. I can be around the corner from my house with my Outback.
Using the opener from "around the corner" is inadvisable if your wife already has the door open and has pulled halfway out in her car. Don't ask me how I know this...

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited, all dressed
97 Posts
I had a problem programming Homelink to operate my garage door opener. I tried syncing to three different remotes (one borrowed from a neighbour) to no avail with the 2018 Outback 3.6 Limited in the driveway, opener unplugged (non-rolling code opener, Canadian with 2 sec maximum remote transmission). It finally programmed straight away when I moved the vehicle to an area in a distant park with no electrical/electronic activity close to the location. Verdict: I suspect EM radiation from nearby HV Power transmission lines was blocking Homelink sync when the car was in the driveway.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,536 Posts
I had a problem programming Homelink to operate my garage door opener. I tried syncing to three different remotes (one borrowed from a neighbour) to no avail with the 2018 Outback 3.6 Limited in the driveway, opener unplugged (non-rolling code opener, Canadian with 2 sec maximum remote transmission). It finally programmed straight away when I moved the vehicle to an area in a distant park with no electrical/electronic activity close to the location. Verdict: I suspect EM radiation from nearby HV Power transmission lines was blocking Homelink sync when the car was in the driveway.
That's an interesting observation. Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, 2021 Touring XT in White, 2018 Crosstrek
362 Posts
I just set up our new Crosstrek and Genie openers. One thing I found is you have to "teach" each button. I don't recall that from setting up the Outback 3 years ago. Multiple tries on the first opener with no luck. Then I put the door down and it worked just fine. The second door setup up when more smoothly. Both openers were bought at the same time.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5
35 Posts
In my (very recent) experience, with both our 2015 Forester and 2018 Outback, it is NOT POSSIBLE to teach your Homelink "rolling code" using only an existing remote. It MUST be done using the "learn" or "program" button on the opener. We had to hold down the Homelink button being programmed for much longer than 2 sec. Like maybe 15 sec. Chamberlain/Liftmaster GDOs, Liftmaster radio set on gate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts