Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I'm trying to figure out which route I should go with first. On my 04' 2.5L w/130k I am getting engine code P1443, P0464, P0420. Any advise on which to tackle first? Car doesn't have any drivability issues and I get roughly 24-27mpg depending on driving and my fuel gauge is accurate. I tried deleting the engine codes to see which would come first but my scan tool for some reason won't let me do it on the Subaru, it keeps yelling at me saying the engine is running which its not. I'm personally thinking of starting with the tank and tackling the 464 code and then the 1443 and then if the 420 persists then tackle that. What do you all think? Or any words of wisdom before diving in?

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,343 Posts
have you tried disconnecting battery for 15-20 minutes? Perhaps that would put things into a "known state" to see where things go from that point.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I would do the P1443 first. The P0464 will probably involve removing the fuel pump. There are lots of threads on P0420. Sometimes the first thing is to ensure you have a Subaru OEM PCV valve. Then it gets more involved looking for exhaust leaks, etc. Properly diagnosing the P0420 can be a challenge but much better than throwing parts at it including O2 sensors and catalytic converters.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you tried disconnecting battery for 15-20 minutes? Perhaps that would put things into a "known state" to see where things go from that point.
I have not. I wasn't sure if Subaru's would reset the CEL by doing that. I will give that a shot though.

Yeha I was so overwelmed looking at the threads for the P0420 which is why I want to leave it for last lol.

For 1443, I was looking and people say that you need to purchase the solenoid from Subaru themselves, but I was looking on Rockauto and they have just the vapar canister, purge valve solenoid and a vent valve solenoid. Is there a reason to only buy from Subaru or would a Dorman product be sufficient?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts