Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to everything I've read (about Outbacks and other vehicles), I drive in severe driving conditions. I have a 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited. I live in a city and engage in urban driving daily. I live in Minneapolis where it can be very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, and all sorts of chemicals are used on the roads for de-icing. I make a lot of short trips. Traffic is stop and go on freeways during all rush hours. Sometimes, I idle for what I consider long periods of time. So, given that just one of those amounts to "severe driving conditions," where is the maintenance schedule for that? The ordinary maintenance schedule that came with the car says to change the oil every 7500 miles after the first two changes. But, I think for severe driving, you are supposed to do it more often, even if running it with synthetic oil. Right? The car currently has 3300 miles on it. If I ask a mechanic, they tell me to change it every 3,000 miles, just to get me to come back and spend more money. But what does the car really need to keep it running well and for a long time and to get the best mileage?

I saw another thread here that indicates that the maintenance schedules provided with the cars differ from the ones Subaru has online. I've noticed that too. I'm seeing inconsistent information.:rolleyes:

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited/2.5L/CVT
390 Posts
Even under those conditions, a top tier full synthetic will last longer. I'd feel comfortable running Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra or Castrol EDGE for 5000-6000 miles.

TS

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Did you look in your maintenance booklet? Mine has normal and sever driving for an 05.

Many new cars now monitor length of trip, idle time, temperature, etc to cause the 'maintenance' light to come on (Honda for one). Has Subaru gotten to this point yet?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
My driving habits are also in the Severe Maintenance category with 5K LOF changes.

·
Registered
2007 outback 2.5i
271 Posts
used oil analysis will tell you what to do. i would wait until 10,000 miles or so to start though, just to let everything get cleaned up and broken in.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
Use a dino-based oil until 10K to allow the piston rings to seat and other parts of the engine to break-in - then upgrade to a high-quality top-tier synthetic as TooSlick said.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Use a dino-based oil until 10K to allow the piston rings to seat and other parts of the engine to break-in - then upgrade to a high-quality top-tier synthetic as TooSlick said.
Why? I can understand continuing to use dino if you are still experiencing oil consumption. But, once you can verify that is no significant consumption, there is no reason to not switch to synthetic. New Subarus apparently have it from the factory, along with many other manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,669 Posts
my schedule has a 'time' side such that, you do most maint. items in multiples of a month = 1,000 miles. So, on one of my cars, I may only have 3000 miles on synthetic oil at 6 months. But, I change oil at every 6 months.

In a general sense though, something like an airfilter could last 2-3 years, but fluids and brakes and 'moving parts' will need more attention.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium; CVT; Twilight Blue Metallic
29 Posts
According to everything I've read (about Outbacks and other vehicles), I drive in severe driving conditions. . . Right? The car currently has 3300 miles on it. If I ask a mechanic, they tell me to change it every 3,000 miles, just to get me to come back and spend more money. But what does the car really need to keep it running well and for a long time and to get the best mileage?

I saw another thread here that indicates that the maintenance schedules provided with the cars differ from the ones Subaru has online. I've noticed that too. I'm seeing inconsistent information.:rolleyes:

Thanks for any assistance.
I just bought a 2013 2.5 CVT. The maintenance schedule is in the warranty and maintenance booklet that came with the car. I'm fairly positive your 3.6 calls for it's first oil change at 3,000 miles. Being in Alaska, I drive in severe conditions as well, i.e. short drives (less than 10 miles), extreme cold, etc. My schedule thus calls for oil changes at 3,750 miles rather than 7,500. I'll follow that as close as I can. I have to use a synthetic (0W-20), but I think your 3.6 gives you an option and a different viscosity. However, I'd strongly suggest you use a synthetic due to your winter temperatures which are only a bit warmer than mine. I'm sure you have a block warmer, but if not, pay to have one installed. You're covered under warranty if you follow the schedule in the warranty and maintenance booklet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.