Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB 3.6R Limited, 2006 LegacyGT
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did not know this was such a common issue to these cars. I've had Subaru's forever and was not aware of this systemic problem in these models/generations.

I've got the shake ~65-75 mph. VERY noticeable right at 70. Vibes the steering wheel, really annoying, can feel in the gear shifter a bit too.

I bought the car used from a non-Subaru dealer, with about 44K on it. They had just put new tires on it (Yoko Avid Touring S, which I had on another vehicle and they were fantastic). The Carfax showed that at 22K a dealership did a 4-wheel alignment and re-balanced all 4 tires...... sounds fishy?

Anyways so the bumper-to-bumper warranty is gone but still in the Powertrain. But if I continue driving it this much, I'll run that warranty out before the end of the year.

If I go to a dealer with TSBs and the knowledge in hand, are they going to try to charge me for re-balancing/road forcing the wheels/tires as a first step? Or should I try to convince them to swap some axles around with known-good ones and see if they can get it to go away.

Basically, if they are going to play swaptronics (CV axles, driveshaft, wheel bearings, etc) and think it's on my dime, I'd rather just do all the work myself.

I'd just really like to at least have this problem documented with Subaru though honestly, especially since I'm skeptical on the transmission too as it sometimes acts weird (downshifts early and often, sometimes does the decel CLUNK, in general I just don't really trust it). Plus I need to sqauwk about the moonroof binding up.... won't auto-close because it slows down right in the middle of the track and then reverses itself.
:twak:

What have been y'alls experiences in this mileage/warranty range?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
638 Posts
Since it looks like you're new here (3 posts and all), first of all - welcome!

One really silly question. Does it always shake at highway speeds or only on certain stretches of road? Because if it is the latter, it's the road most likely. I have one stretch of interstate near my house that I get a lot of shaking with both my OB and my Lancer but the wife's pickup doesn't so much as flinch. It's weird but it is always in the same area (and on both directions). Five miles down the road, butter smooth.

Assuming that's not the case, I'd bet there is something with the alignment although it might not be a bad idea to have brakes and suspension checked as well just to be sure. I know a few times I've had cars aligned and as soon as I drove it down the road I knew the mechanic hadn't done a good job. I don't think it is suspicious that they had it done, but I do suspect they didn't do it well/right.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there Okie, yeah I'm sorta new here as strangely enough this is my first Outback (7 Subarus however total in the past, only have 2 at this time). I grew up in Western PA, yee haw! Wheresabaahts ar'yinz?

The shaking occurs all the time. Now that I'm keen to it, I've been noticing it all the time (this past week or 2). It definitely gets worse on certain types of surfaces (metro Atlanta roads are generally pretty good, but there are all types of surfaces here like blacktop, concrete, etc...... these roads are about 1000x better than PennDOT could ever make!), but the shaking/vibe is there all the time. Definitely 65-75 mph, persistent.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update, sorry for the delay.

Turns out, at least 2 of the tires were out of balance. They must have thrown off the weights to get noticeably worse in short order.

After a full inspection and re-balance, the shaking is mostly gone. Notice I said mostly, because there is just a bit of it. But nothing like it was back when I made the original post. Happy enough for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts