Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had noticed that our OB has developed a shake around 80kmh through 90KMH and then it steadies out after that. Had the tires balanced but it was still there. Since September, my new job has be driving 200km every day...highway driving and yesterday and today I did a total of 750km...woke up this morning to oil on my driveway. Oil in the pan was fine and the oil was to the drivers side so I have put 2 and 2 together and figure it is from a leaky shock on the drivers side...pretty sure it's rear. I think this would explain the shake

Looking for someone to concur....even though I am sure I am right on this one...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,322 Posts
when I have had a strut or 2 leak, it seemed like brown dirty water,...leaking off the car where it was sitting on what had been a sunny dry day.

and not so much oily.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
919 Posts
To be completely sure, you need to get your vehicle in the air and have a good look underneath with a flashlight. Could be the oil pan gasket or a main seal or any number of areas. Look for the oil drip location and then trace the oily path back to the source. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be completely sure, you need to get your vehicle in the air and have a good look underneath with a flashlight. Could be the oil pan gasket or a main seal or any number of areas. Look for the oil drip location and then trace the oily path back to the source. Good luck.

I change all my own fluids so I’m underneath it quite regularly now putting 1000km on it per week..that’s how I found the yellow remanufactured sticker on the front left axle..read on below...

Well...here is the full skinny on what’s up. Start with background story. Had the front left axle replaced in order to replace torn cv boot. Less than a year later that axle failed...and they asked who put in the after market axle...when they did it themselves. They replaced that axle with the one on it now...which I just found out is a remanufactured one. This axle has been in the car about 4 months...Talk about going from bad to worse eh? I was never charged for the last one.

I called the dealer basically telling them how they consecutively, continually put lower quality parts on my car and I wanted this axle replaced with a new OEM...no charge. It was the end of the day so I have to wait till Monday.

Needless to say...I’m miffed!

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
919 Posts
After you force them to resolve this issue, I would cross them off my trusted list and never return. They appear to specialize in shortcuts and rip-offs.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After you force them to resolve this issue, I would cross them off my trusted list and never return. They appear to specialize in shortcuts and rip-offs.
I wouldn’t go that far. I’ve had a couple issues in the past...always been solved amicably...I just want an OEM axle put on without cost to me...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...here is the update to the shaky problem I have been having...it's a bigger fix than I was anticipating.
The U-joints on the drive shaft are starting to seize up. Because there is less movement at the joints it causes an imbalance in the shaft as it spins...shaky shaky...

Expensive repair....ouch on the price of the entire shaft....:frown2:

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
919 Posts
Sorry to hear that. How much is the quote?

Keep us posted on the effectiveness of the fix.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
181 Posts
Depending on your DIY ability, this may be something you can tackle yourself? I haven't looked into this removal and replacement process but a new drive shaft on rockauto is about $220 before shipping.

How was the cause of the problem diagnosed? I am getting a cold weather howl from my drivetrain and I suspect something in the driveshaft based on what I've read online.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep us updated.
...will do...they only suby dealership in our province is 4 hrs away. I use a local garage for most mechanical stuff...brakes, tires, etc but the big stuff...like this...or my blown HG...I go to the dealer for. Have appt for next Tuesday as I am going out that way anyway for work...

...that said...just called the dealer to get the part ordered..will take a week to get it in so...a little longer wait..

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New Propeller shaft has been in for a couple of weeks...shakey shakey all gone.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
919 Posts
Glad to hear it. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...and they replaced the front left axle which was dripping wet grease when it rained...hence the oily stain on our driveway...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts