Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud owner of an 05 OB XT Lmtd - only a month old. Love every aspect of this car except for a shaking that happens in every gear between 2200-2700 RPM. I have the 5-speed turbo model.

I've been putting the high-octane gas in, so I don't believe this is engine knocking.

I thought it might be the turbo kicking in. The shake is pretty bad unless the gas is at the floor, making the shake not noticeable because the car is SO fast...

The RPM needle shakes with the engine shaking, it feels as though the car is not getting enough gas. Think of a back and forth movement similar to a bad start in 1st gear, except this happens in all 5 gears well after the shift is made. The car should be past the point where the RPMs are too low to give some power. As soon as the needle hits 3000, it is as smooth as can be.

Any thoughts out there? thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Sounds to me like you should have the dealer look at is ASAP. It's probably got a minor cause, but shaking like that sounds bad for the motor. Has to be either a timing or fuel supply issue from the sound of if.

Cheers,

Karl

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
sduford said:
Hi Nolescorp, welcome to the board and congrats on your choice of car!

THis is definitely not normal, you should have your dealer look at it ASAP!
Agreed. On all three accounts. This is more than the occasional turbo-stuttering.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! I'm going to take it in and reply back soon. Great site by the way. Mudge - we have the same scuby--- lovin the blue/grey

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
nolescorp said:
Thanks all! I'm going to take it in and reply back soon. Great site by the way. Mudge - we have the same scuby--- lovin the blue/grey
Thanks nolescorp! Love to see another in the gallery. And by the way, welcome! ALways great to have another XT on board (if for no other reason than to help keep those annoying, gnatlike OBS boys at bay).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Went to dealer today - they said that Subaru is aware of the problem. I didn't catch everything the guy said, but it was something with the car's computer and some hesitation in the power band. He also said it was in all 5 gears, but was much more noticeable while holding the gas steady in 3rd-5th gear at 2500-3000RPM. He said a flash would be available soon and to try back in a couple of weeks.

I noticed this is similar to the "turbo stuttering" thread in one of the other areas....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing