Subaru Outback Forums banner

1061 - 1080 of 1116 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
That is around what I get with mixed driving. The only way I see over 30 mpg is driving under 65 mph on highways with no hills. Around town in the winter I have seen as low as 13 for a tank.

I am very disappointed. This is the first car I have owed that I have not gotten at least the claimed MPG. I usually exceed it.

Keep in mind that some folks here are relying on the vehicle's computer for their mileage estimates, which I believe are a bit "optimistic". The one on my car overestimates my mileage by ~7%.

2017 2.5i with ~22K.
With 26K miles, I have a total average of 23.8 with the highest MPG of 28.0. Now my wife when she is in Florida, lives in a location where you have to drive 10 miles for a gallon of milk and the speed limit varies from 35 to 55 and she can get almost 35 MPG average. So speed is crucial to the MPG of this car. I think anything over 55 and it drops the MPG significantly. My 2012 Buick LaCrosse which was much heavier and had a 310 HP V6 had an overall MPG of 21.3 and a high of 27.7 which is about the same as my OB.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well in the IAGAD category, I have a Premium Outback 2017, purchased in November 2016, and it now - two years down the line - stands at 33,420 miles, and the ECO reading shows that my average (over all these miles) is 29.2 MPG. I have no complaint about the gas mileage. I have no reason to disbelieve the Eco Monitor. I live in NW Florida. Lots of driving is in light traffic in and around the Eglin AFB area to include Destin and Ft. Walton Beach and Pensacola. Grandkids are in Tallahassee so that's a frequent drive. Occasional Interstate drives. The 2.5 liter engine is pretty gutless, but then I have driven lots of Autobahn/Autostrada miles in my 16 years in Europe. I appreciate the good mileage. This car is very nice and comfortable to drive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here's the total for my time of ownership on this '01 Outback VDC. Makes me realize how little I actually drive!

Most maintenance (Spark plugs, fluid changes, fuel filter etc) was done when I bought it. Did do a Seafoam through the throttle body around mile 150,000, but have yet to change oil. The drop at the end was due to one tire at low pressure and increased city driving.

There is a low-profile ski box on the roof.

Also just put on the snow tires... A lot going on here!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well in the IAGAD category, I have a Premium Outback 2017, purchased in November 2016, and it now - two years down the line - stands at 33,420 miles, and the ECO reading shows that my average (over all these miles) is 29.2 MPG. I have no complaint about the gas mileage. I have no reason to disbelieve the Eco Monitor. I live in NW Florida. Lots of driving is in light traffic in and around the Eglin AFB area to include Destin and Ft. Walton Beach and Pensacola. Grandkids are in Tallahassee so that's a frequent drive. Occasional Interstate drives. The 2.5 liter engine is pretty gutless, but then I have driven lots of Autobahn/Autostrada miles in my 16 years in Europe. I appreciate the good mileage. This car is very nice and comfortable to drive.

I’ve got a 2016 Limited, ~35,300 miles, and lifetime mileage is showing 29.2 on the computer. Driving between Bluefield WV and home in Virginia Beach, highway speeds and over Shenandoah mountains, I average 31 mpg (single person, lightly loaded).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
We've had our OB one week, and I've driven about 650 miles. Just can't hardly stay out of that drivers seat!

We're averaging 33+ MPG, mostly because I'm driving a bit slower than the speed limit! Within 20 miles, the highway has a 75 mph speed limit, and the mpg drops to 25 or a little lower at that speed. I think it's fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2007 Outback wagon with 180k miles. I get between 15-20 city and a pretty constant 25 on the highway at 70mph.
I've actually been a little disappointed with the mileage, but this is my first Subaru, so I'm not sure if that's normal.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Last actual tank mileage was 30.5 - that's mild driving mostly 65- 70mph and about 40% of the time not over 45mph with a lot of stop and go.
The mileage certainly does drop a lot if driven 70mph or greater (which is normal for gas powered cars)

Note: Actual mileage is different (lower) than the average which is shown on the cars display.

My actual calculated is typically 2mph lower than display.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, we have a Legacy ... 2.5 ... not an outback. (Have Other vehicles .. just prefer trunk and quieter on this, my wifes car.

I'll have to look at the records on the computer, but we tend to average 32 or so -- both her "TOWN" driving and on long trips -- it's a 300 mi round trip to see our daughter. The long trips, it tends to be at 75 or so.

I think it's logical that the Legacy would get slightly better mileage -- it has a smaller frontal profile.

BEST we ever got was when it was fairly new. We filled up in Loveland CO and came east on US 34, then I-76, then I-80 ... Omaha is home. It was averaging 36 !! I an used to getting gas once at least from Colorado to home. We NEVER gassed up, got home (about 550 miles) and the "RANGE" claimed we had 150 left !!?? Like we could go to Des Moines !!

Of course it was a little down hill ... Loveland 6000' and Omaha 1000' and sometimes a tail wind

·
Registered
497 Posts
We've had our OB one week, and I've driven about 650 miles. Just can't hardly stay out of that drivers seat!

We're averaging 33+ MPG, mostly because I'm driving a bit slower than the speed limit! Within 20 miles, the highway has a 75 mph speed limit, and the mpg drops to 25 or a little lower at that speed. I think it's fine.

After having the OB for almost exactly a month, her MPG average looks to right square in the middle of other Outbacks with the same engine -- 28.8 MPG overall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
08 OB with 236,000+ miles

For combined highway and city, I usually get 25.8. For just highway at 60-65 mph, I usually average 30 to 33 miles per gallon. On level terrain at about 40 mph, I have averaged 38 to 40 miles per gallon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
'10 OB 2.5 w/ 144k miles- average (City/Highway mix - daily commuter) has been 21.5 to 23 mpg. I'm sure utilizing the remote vehicle start the last couple months (not everyday, but living with Upstate New York winter weather certainly seems like it) has not helped the cause. Waiting for Spring / Summer to see what I can actually get for average mpg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been pleasantly surprised 03 LL Bean H6 some 2020K miles,,,

I had heard their MPG wasn't to good....

Picked it a couple of months ago...averages 21-22 mixed driving
up to 28 on the free way cursing at 65 or below...

·
Registered
131 Posts
In my 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited, I have averaged 23.8 mpg over the last 79,000 miles, in the last 43 months here in New England. Which, BTW, has cost me just over $7,500 for fuel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just picked up a 2019 3.6R and I'm averaging about 17.5mpg (lol)

My commute is bumper to bumper traffic for an hour and 15 minutes so I guess that makes sense then.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Driven a little over 5K miles. My commute is 5 miles, mostly stop and go, each way.

1061 - 1080 of 1116 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
653 Participants
Kryptek
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing