Subaru Outback Forums banner

1081 - 1100 of 1116 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just finished up a 1400 mile road trip in the '02 H6.

Achieved the best tank under my ownership at 24.9 Mpg

Doesn't sound like much but I did have a loaded roof box, bike rack, snow tires, and consistent 75mph speeds.

Really wondering what I could get on a nice summer day at 60mph and no mountains.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For 3 months use at SC coast, we averaged 29.3 mpg (2019 2.5). This for a mix of short shopping trips and longer trips up and down 65mph highway. Total mileage of about 2000 miles.

Then we loaded up and headed home to Canada. More load in car and bikes on back. After the 1000 mile trip, average had dropped to 28.3 ( did not reset trip). Probably only about 25-26mpg on return trip.

Reasons? Higher load. More wind resistance from bikes. Higher speeds.

What does it mean to those of you in USA when you see a 55mph speed sign?

We tried going 65mph in slow lane along with trucks. But in fast lane cars were whizzing by doing well over 70mph. Then when speed limit changes to 65 or 70, they go even faster and we have to too, if we want to get past trucks. This was mostly on I-81 from SC to NY.

Our car has an OBD gizmo provided by insurance company. It keeps track of how we drive and our premium is adjusted accordingly. It shows us speeding when we exceed speed limit by some margin. In Canada, about 15-20% on highways. But on our return trip while in USA it showed us speeding more than 1/2 the time - and we were going slower than most!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just finished up a 1400 mile road trip in the '02 H6.

Achieved the best tank under my ownership at 24.9 Mpg

Doesn't sound like much but I did have a loaded roof box, bike rack, snow tires, and consistent 75mph speeds.

Really wondering what I could get on a nice summer day at 60mph and no mountains.

A bunch better! On my recent trip to south Texas, mine went from 29 at piddlin speeds to less than 25 at 75+.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hybrid MPG on Subaru Outback

2016 Outback 2.5 Premium with 20K miles

I don't get a good MPG on Regular gas from Costco but when I buy Regular gas at Kroger, Weigel's, Food City my MPG is usually around 30-33MPG with speeds aroung 50-65mph
I go to Smoky Mountains via Tennessee Route 321 few times a month and my mileage was usually 30-33. Last week it was much better.......I could not believe ...40.6 MPG with speeds around 45-50 mph

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
2005 Outback 2.5i Base.

1200+ mile trip up to Harrisburg PA from Fort Lauderdale, FL, got consistently 29-30 mpg at 70 mph with a basket roof top rack,

·
Registered
16 Posts
2016 Outback Limited 2.5L

When I had first gone on a long trip with the OEM tires, I traveled from Maryland up above Philadelphia with cruise, set at 65 mph and A/C on in late May. I was astounded by the gas mileage I got that day. 42 mpg on the way there and going through the city and back home 38 mpg!! 170 miles on an 1/8th of a tank and 380 miles to half tank. This was mostly flat highway, but wow!! I would have really liked seeing how far (range) I could have gone on the whole tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
My first long trip with my 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6. Drove from Cleveland Ohio to Ontario, NY and back. I used cruise control almost the entire trip. Approximately 10% city driving and the road portion was at 75 and 80 MPH. I managed 26.55 mpg and was pleasantly surprised. My other car is a 2015 Cadillac XTS and certainly has some features that I miss on the OB. This Subaru will be my work vehicle and will be coming home to Cleveland most week ends. I expect to drive around 3000 miles per month. Oh, I found out the Low Fuel Warning is amazingly accurate. I fueled up and took 17 gallons. Nice to know I can trust the guage. Highest I saw on the Miles to Empty was 521.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just got back from a 2800+ mile trip. Went from Clovis, NM to Chicago, over to Iowa City, then back to Clovis, with a few side trips along the way.

Drove to Chicago at posted speed limit and got a shade under 30 mpg. Had a schedule to keep.

Went to Iowa City also at posted speed limit. Same mpg.

Left Iowa City headed east to make one last side trip, then to Riverside, Iowa to see the statue of James T. Kirk, then up to I80, west to Des Moines, south to Oklahoma City and west to home. Drove maybe 400 mile at 60 mph getting 40 mpg or right at it. Then the wind came up, cut my mileage to about 25 so I sped up to 75 to go on home. Was a nice trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in rural New Hampshire and I usually drive 6 miles before the first traffic light. Speed limit is mostly 50 mph. I'm getting at least 34 mpg (per the car's info system) averaged over a tank full. I have '19 Outback Premium with 2.5i. Car says 35.5 mpg now on this 1/2 tank of gasoline. This includes a 40 mile trip with a tandem kayak on the top and passing over a seasonal mountain road with 18% grades. I did a long highway trip (55 mph to 70 mph) and got 34.5 mpg (582 miles on that tank of gas).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Best I have received was 6.6 L/100 km doing 80 km/hr over five hours of rural single lane highway, chock full of speed traps. 2.5 motor. No A/C running. Worst was 12.5 L/100 km in a fully loaded car, bumper to bumper over seven hours on Thanksgiving weekend, A/C running. Not a fair comparison, but also did 16 L/100 km driving in deep snow on a highway I did not realize was closed due to whiteout conditions.

I find the softer rubber on my tires gives me better litres per km, so when tires wear down to harder rubber, i loose 1 litre per km. My deep tread winter tires take away 2.5 L/km on average, especially in deep cold.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After 1000 Miles

I just hit 1,000 miles in my 2019 Outback Touring 3.6R, and my average MPG has been 20.5 with my driving evenly split between city and highway. I'm looking forward to taking her out on the road for a >100 mile trip on the highway to see what the MPG will be.

I'm not disappointed with the MPG so far, as the engine is smooth and quiet, and it accelerates effortlessly. I consider it a significant upgrade over the 2.0 Turbo 4-cyl in my recently-totaled Audi Q5, and it's getting about 2 MPG more so far. (The Audi's city/highway mix was 52/48... about the same.)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 06 Outback was getting 26.8 for awhile. Right now I'm getting 24.6 avg. My work commute is 55 miles round trip with interstate driving. Back home is up hill most of the way. I have a Yakima Space Booster on my roof rack that doesn't need to be there but I don't have a place to keep it. Plus my stickers on the box is what makes my rig recognizable.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't generally keep track of the mileage on the OB . However we recently took a trip from the Berkshires in Massachusetts to Burlington VT and back. The road was mostly a 55 MPH byway and the driving we did in VT was generally leisurely except for the sprint to Ben & Jerry's. I started with a full tank in Dalton and didn't fill up until I got home. I didn't do the exact math but the trip ODO was around 465 miles and the tank took the other side of 15 gallons. That's about 30MPG in my book. That with the A/C running all the time although the car wasn't heavily loaded. And the car has over 102K on the clock. A great vehicle in my book.

·
Registered
40 Posts
2019 2.5i Limited.... Highway @75 29.5 mpg. Country roads @50 34 mpg. At least according to the computer. Calculating at fillup, slightly less each time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just took our first trip (~1000 miles) in the new 2019 2.5i base Outback. Got ~26mpg averaging around 80mph on the highway with cruise control on and about 10% of the miles stop and go city driving. It was also around 115F or higher for most of the return trip. The active grill shutters really make a difference. We could detect when they opened/closed by the change in wind noise and a drop in the mpg from ~30 to ~25

1081 - 1100 of 1116 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
653 Participants
Kryptek
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing