Subaru Outback Forums banner

1101 - 1116 of 1116 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
My best run was a three hour jaunt at at steady 70km/hr...I got 7.5l/100km. Bad road surface too. I was impressed. Worst was 13 l / 100 km in a steady strong wind at 30 below zero. Both times the vehicle was loaded heavy. Better mileage on average than my previous small Toyota Matrix.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm quite impressed by my most recent road trip. 2018 Limited 2.5 We had 2 adults, 3 teens, my 60lb dog and my Yakima Skybox loaded up. Southern Ontario to Northern Michigan and back. Mostly highway at 75-80mph (love the 75 limit Michigan!) and some around town/rural driving too. Overall averaged 8.7l/100km or 27 US MPG. Not too shabby considering my Flex under the same conditions would be in the 11.5-12 range under the same conditions or 19-20mpg. No issue with power, passing, etc. Love this car and while I appreciate the 6cyl crowd, this proves to me there is no reason to doubt the 4cyl!

·
Registered
80 Posts
In 11,000 miles on my 19 2.5, lowest is 26, highest 38, average about 30.6. All manually tracked and recorded on fuelly. Car's trip computer has been reasonably accurate. http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/outback/2019/danielacosta/921085

It's worth noting that when test driving Subarus we found a lot of consistency between vehicles, but did discover one new Ascent that was significantly lower than all the other Ascents we test drove using the same identical test loop, so there is an occasional oddball in the mix. If you look at fuelly.com you will find a lot of consistency yet also a range of normal fuel consumption for just about any vehicle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
After owning my 2010 3.6R for 3,000km I have been getting on average 8.6-9L/100km highway (120km/h avg) and around 12-13L/100km in the city. I am very impressed considering the OB is not a light vehicle by any means and has a pretty big H6 that hauls a*s when needed.

During the week with grocery getting and very little to no highway driving we typically get 13L/100km. On long road trips up to the cottage with highway and a lot of rural road driving (100km/h) I will see mileage as low as 8.5L/100km. This is with the a/c on and a full car

·
Registered
799 Posts
Did it again......

Round trip from So. NH. Border to Lee Maine (20 miles north of Lincoln) all highway with speeds averaging 70mph on a single tank...... average 31 mpgs. Same as last year...It’s consistent.

·
Registered
72 Posts
98 Leg OB 5speed with nearly 240k miles. Original 2.5 replaced with a 2.2 liter engine.

City/ hwy 21 mpg in WV .
That's with unremarkable non aggressive driving, drifting down hills in Neutral. Makes me wonder if I should replace it with a Prius.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I like summer highway driving...at around 100-105 kmh I am getting 7.4-7.6l/100km...car display matches my ultra gauge...

·
Registered
576 Posts
After owning my 2010 3.6R for 3,000km I have been getting on average 8.6-9L/100km highway (120km/h avg) and around 12-13L/100km in the city. I am very impressed considering the OB is not a light vehicle by any means and has a pretty big H6 that hauls a*s when needed.

During the week with grocery getting and very little to no highway driving we typically get 13L/100km. On long road trips up to the cottage with highway and a lot of rural road driving (100km/h) I will see mileage as low as 8.5L/100km. This is with the a/c on and a full car
Have no idea what you just said. It's like you're speaking another language.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2016 2.5i Premium - mixed driving/commuting around Boulder/Denver, the gauge reads 31-33 mpg, but my calculations reveal that to be optimistic, so real world calculations come up as 1.5 to 2 mpg less than the gauge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m driving around Boston suburbs mostly and back and forth to Cape Cod in my 2019 2.5L Outback. I actually achieved over 40 mpg on a 89 mile ride to the Cape by avoiding the high traffic time and staying about 3 mph below the speed limits of 55 and 60! I keep the A register for daily drives and the B register for the tank. Generally, over the 9600 miles since January, my local drives achieve 24 mpg and my long drives are over 36 mpg. I estimate over all the driving since January I am getting about 32 mpg on a tank. How does that comport with the experience of others? (BTW this is my “sane” car. I do have to get my speed kicks with a Caterham, 427 Kirkham and M Roadster.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just going off of the car's computations, in a 2019 3.6L and a very heavy right foot, mix of city and freeway on my commute, I'm getting 23.5mpg. Exact same commute and driving style in my traded in 2001 3.0L outback was 19mpg, manually computed. These cares have come a long ways in 18 years, lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My old GL used to get 36 on long trips while drafting behind campers, semis, and lines of cars. No I rarely got close to bumpers and got turbulence with trucks, albeit it is a risk increase. The car had a 1.8 liter as opposed to the 2.2 replacement on my current OB.

I no longer get anything close to that Hwy mileage with the heavier car. I like lots about the Subarus that keep me coming back for more. MILEAGE IS NOT one of them. The company doubtless could make the far more fuel efficient, but why when guys like me keep settling for the disgraceful fuel cost.

That said, I've got one eye on the Prius and one on another OB for my next car. One thing that doesnt let me turn to the "dark side" is that extra space that is sometimes reeeal handy.

1101 - 1116 of 1116 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
653 Participants
Kryptek
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing