Subaru Outback Forums banner
1201 - 1220 of 1227 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Okay- something is seriously wrong here. I can't delete a picture while actually creating a post. I will post his, then delete it and try again. IF anyone actually sees this one, that is...

Back in a second with an actual post!

Okay- NOW I 'll try again to do it right...

Whew... Okay- had the 2022 OB since January- 'B' trip is total mileage so far with the 29. something overall MPG. 'A' Trip is the latest tank MPG.

I'm extremely happy with these numbers. They are equal to, or maybe better, than the previous Crosstrek. I'm no slow lane crawler- nor do I use the AS/S, just a lot of judicious use of the CC set at around 10mph above posted limits on highways. At some points (when I look- generally not) I can see up to 47-50 MPG while cruising on the flat.
My theory, this theory of mine. Well, this is what it is - my theory that I have, that is to say, which is mine, is mine. (Bonus points for getting the reference).
Anyway- the Crosstrek Premium had the 150 whatever HP engine, which was "okay". So it had a few weighty extras like sunroof and heated seats, etc... But the OB has 184(187?), but only weighs 'about' 500 lbs more. The power to weight ratio is probably a bit better so it isn't trying as hard to keep up. That, and I have a "Base" model with not a lot of extra dohickeys like powered heated seats and sunroof, each of which add a considerable amount of extra heft.

Vehicle Car Automotive design Gauge Speedometer
Vehicle Car Automotive design Gauge Personal luxury car

· Premium Member
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
81 Posts
Traveling 65-75 on the highway yesterday morning (early), I was getting ~27mpg in my 22 OBW with a spare tire carrier hitch. On the way home (after being lifted) with 2 bikes on my bike rack, I was getting an average of ~22.

· Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT- Venetian Red Pearl
112 Posts
So I posted this on the Gen 4 section, but I’ll post it here as well. Filled up yesterday with 14.753 gallons. The car’s average calculation was 25.2, my math shows 24.727. I can’t complain. Averaged between 60-65 on NY state routes and county roads. My round trip is roughly 60 miles, 30 each way. I think what may have hurt my mileage was a handful of 2-3 mile trips, and idling for 10-15 minutes a couple of times. Oh, and running air con. Not 100% sure if aircon hurts mileage, but figured I throw it out there in case is did, lol

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
I had an 04 impreza Outback Sport 2.5 5 speed from 2012-2018 avg 25mpg, 29 mpg peak on the highway.

My Toyota Sienna recently imploded(5/8/22) on a large deer on the highway relieving me of the burdensome 16mpg at $5.15 gallon.

My new to me 2012 Outback 2.5 premium CVT gets a wonderful 29 mpg. I feel like it can drive forever between fill-ups and it's cheaper than my van every time.

· Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT- Venetian Red Pearl
112 Posts
My Toyota Sienna recently imploded(5/8/22) on a large deer on the highway relieving me of the burdensome 16mpg at $5.15 gallon.

My new to me 2012 Outback 2.5 premium CVT gets a wonderful 29 mpg. I feel like it can drive forever between fill-ups and it's cheaper than my van every time.
My Ram 1500 did this, and I second the feeling of feeling like I can drive forever.

· Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
4,283 Posts
just did a 1900 mile road trip in my 2010 outback 3.6R with (at the start of the trip) 1676xx miles on it. I managed a calculated 27.8mpg at a constant speed of 71mph (GPS indicated) I should roll past 170K in about 6 weeks time

· Registered
2001 Outback Wagon Limited, 2.5, 5-speed
17 Posts
Here’s mine: 16-18 MPG in-town on an 01 OBW 2.5 5-speed with 168k-ish miles. (Atrocious, and it makes me long for my ‘97 Passat TDI’s 43+ MPG in-town. But she wasn’t an AWD wagon.)

Mitigating factors:
  • all in-town driving, most trips under 5 miles; luckily I live near my job and it’s a small town
  • A/C on all the time…c’mon…it’s summertime in Alabama

Yes, I could walk or bike to work but when the heat index is over 100* and the humidity is approaching 8000%…well, that‘s a big negative, ghost rider. 16 MPG it is.

On long trips, Ezzie has gotten 26-ish MPG, so that’s something.

matthew

· Premium Member
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness Dark Grey. Metallic Grey.
979 Posts
The best mileage I got so far was 22.5, with a mix of city/highway and my last was 21.9. I drove a lot of city traffic so my average MPG as indicated in Fuelly is skewed a bit on the downside. I was also only having to fuel once every two weeks, but now I fill up every weekend, so my tank will generally last the entire week. I've been bitching to the local traffic county engineers over a traffic light that will constantly go to red with no cars present, which is a pain. Stop and go is just a pain when there are no cars present at the intersections.

I've really had to push the A/C to MAX during the past couple of weeks too, because of heat indices above 105 degrees F.

· Registered
2022 Onyx XT
1,569 Posts
The best mileage I got so far was 22.5, with a mix of city/highway and my last was 21.9. I drove a lot of city traffic so my average MPG as indicated in Fuelly is skewed a bit on the downside. I was also only having to fuel once every two weeks, but now I fill up every weekend, so my tank will generally last the entire week. I've been bitching to the local traffic county engineers over a traffic light that will constantly go to red with no cars present, which is a pain. Stop and go is just a pain when there are no cars present at the intersections.

I've really had to push the A/C to MAX during the past couple of weeks too, because of heat indices above 105 degrees F.
You should look into heat rejection tint.

· Registered
27 Posts
Today we drove 650 miles from Michigan to Tennessee.
We left the 18th at night and returned today the 27th login in a total of 1.901 miles on the 2014 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6 R and averaged 31.8 mpg.I Love my Subaru's.

Attachments

· Registered
22 Outback Onyx XT "Lord Vader"
174 Posts
Share my fuel mileage!?!? :oops: Is this something like bandwidth sharing? :unsure: Because I barely have enough for my own needs, let alone giving some of it to others! :rofl:

· Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i
13 Posts
I'm getting ~25 MPG with my 2.5 in mixed driving with Falken Wildpeak AT3W's (245/65R17), roof rack, no lift, and skidplates. Roof rack is definitely the killer. To the point where driving back roads is more efficient than highway because of increased resistance. If it wasn't such a PITA to take on and off, I would. But I drive it less than 10k a year now, so I just keep it on for camping etc. Would probably be closer to 30 without it. But I also drive fairly conservatively too.

Funny thing about about the larger tires (coming from the stock Limited 18") is that the on board trip computer is pretty much spot on now, where before it was over estimating. Verifed by manual calcs while taking into account the new tire circumference vs. the old.

1201 - 1220 of 1227 Posts