Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out outback 2017 sunroof shattered on a rainy 50F day. I have open a case with Subaru for replacement under warranty. Has anyone gone through similar situation.

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
131 Posts
I've seen quite a few busted sunroofs in subarus, from catching rocks thrown by vehicles in front.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2017 Outback Subaru
1 Posts
Last night my 2017 Outback's sunroof shattered

Out outback 2017 sunroof shattered on a rainy 50F day. I have open a case with Subaru for replacement under warranty. Has anyone gone through similar situation.
Just last night, my 2017 Subaru's Outback sunroof shattered out of nowhere. No rocks flying, minimal traffic. Scared the you know what out of me. I'm calling Subaru today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sunroof shattered on a new MY18 Subaru Outback

I bought two weeks ago a new Subaru outback (MY18).
While driving on a country road our sunroof shattered!
Subaru claims it is a result of a chip rock hitting it.

There was a car in front of me, but I didn't see/feel anything flying into or hitting the car.

That being said- our insurance will cover it.

It is wired I have to say

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Glass can shatter like that if exposed to stresses in the frame.

Across the expanse of the roof from front to back or side to side if the vehicle body twists at all it can cause that to happen. Also if there are vibrations that are right in resonance with that particular size and shape of glass.

I think that the sunroof glass is tempered (it probably broke in to thousands of tiny little cubes). Tempering is a heat treatment that puts the glass under a great deal of internal stress (so you do not get long jagged shards).

On cars, all of the glass except for the windshield is tempered; The windshield is laminated (two layers of glass with a plastic layer in the middle).

I wonder if we will be seeing more of this with the giant moonroof pieces of glass.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,972 Posts
On cars, all of the glass except for the windshield is tempered; The windshield is laminated (two layers of glass with a plastic layer in the middle).
Not anymore as I recently learned here. The Outback front door windows are laminated now as well. So that little tool for breaking your way out of the car if trapped under water isn't so useful any more. If you follow your GPS directions and drive into a lake you better jump into the back seat and break one of those windows instead.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was replaced by Subaru under warranty. What I noticed in the replacement part was that they don't use laminated glass, just tempered glass. I think moon-roof shatter is going to be a constant risk which we may have to live with and ready pay for replacement.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,297 Posts
Glass can shatter like that if exposed to stresses in the frame... I wonder if we will be seeing more of this with the giant moonroof pieces of glass.
What's funny is the difference in glass and how it responds to impacts.

Both 6 and 5 years ago we had pretty good hail storms hit our dealership. 6 years ago it was baseball sized hail. 5 years ago it was only golf ball sized. The baseball sized hail literally destroyed cars, where we had to total many of them out because when the hail punches THROUGH the hood, that's a bad thing. Needless to say, most of those cars also had broken glass.

What I found interesting is the golf ball sized stuff did not break a single Subaru sunroof, even with an average of $5,000 worth of body damage. We lost a bunch of mirrors and mirror caps, had half a dozen windshields get cracked, half a dozen back glasses got cracked, but that was it. The Cadillac dealership next door had to total several out because back windows were knocked out and the cars got water in from the rain. We had door window moldings on back order for months.

So yeah, while you're going to have the occasional sunroof break from stress or rock or whatever - they're still one off's.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Likely will see more as the number of vehicles that only come with these things increases.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
128 Posts
Sunroofs are prone to shattering. It isn't anything specific to a brand or model. Every vehicle my wife and I have owned with a sunroof had reports of shattered sunroofs. However, we have yet to experience one ourselves. I just wish we could still get higher trim levels without sunroofs. I really don't like them since they take away head room, are prone to leaks, shattering and the sun disagrees with my shiny bald head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The sunroof on my 3 month old 2018 Outback shattered yesterday while I was sitting in a parking lot. It was not hit by a rock nor anything else. It had made a “popping” noise on 3 previous occasions. Outcome yet to be determined, but I think it was from structural stress/glass strength.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We JUST bought a 2018 Outback with moon roof yesterday. Are the ones that shatter the front unit or the available rear unit? I'd be really disappointed if my wife called me one day to tell me this happened to her while going down the road, especially if we had any of our dogs with us. They like to chew on any and everything they can get their mouths on.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,075 Posts
We JUST bought a 2018 Outback with moon roof yesterday. Are the ones that shatter the front unit or the available rear unit? I'd be really disappointed if my wife called me one day to tell me this happened to her while going down the road, especially if we had any of our dogs with us. They like to chew on any and everything they can get their mouths on.
remember this when first starting to read threads here on the gen5 section:

people complain. about their new cars. and despite the hundreds of thousands of cars subaru sells. not all of them have a complaint.

_____

this is not a Hyundai/Kia forum, with people deciding when to trade in the lease and what to get new,
instead of worrying about something to break on the car that is only 3 years old.

_____

and what I would do with a chewing dog: get a muzzle that looks like a cage. (so they can drink )

or get them something to chew on vs. the car, ...like rawhides that smell like meat/ peanut butter. (only to be given when you think they maybe out to chew).

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback
3 Posts
2016 Subaru Outback moonroof glass shattered this mornin. Rainy 70 degree morning. My air conditioning was on and nothing hit or landed on it. Called insurance company and dropped off car at Subaru dealer. Service rep will look into warranty or recall possibles etc...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts