Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
soon, an OBS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
turned 1000 miles on the car over the holiday weekend. i was out in West By Gosh in the mountians and got to have some fun with the car.

need to increase the rear bar to the WRX stock one. maybe add a shock tower mounted stiffener as well.

a buddy behind me in a 97 Outback had a hard time keeping up - i lost him in the twisties and was able to zip around the downhill curves with ease.

the paved road ended and the fun really began - the AWD is very nice on WVa gravel roads with no giuderails!

-steve

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Be careful, I've been reading about overconfidence from thinking 4WD or AWD can do anything... and it can't. Maybe you've had one of these before, but I haven't and thought I'd say this for others new to it too.

That aside, yeah, the drive is something to behold. :)

Must be some great country roads out there in W. V.

{edit regarding latest replies} First time I ever wanted snow here. Sure hope there's plenty in north-central Alabama this winter. I'm ready this time! Some camping would be great too, last time was way back in 1988.

·
Registered
2004 OBS 5MT
42 Posts
Agreed, especially in winter. When going around corners in slippery conditions I was surprised how easily the rear end wants to pass the front end, on stock tires. After 15 years driving FWD only I initially had only instinct (countersteer) to help when the OBS got tail-happy. After that I went out a few times to a parking lot or deserted street to try to get the hang of AWD. The rest of the season I found the car to be pretty much unstoppable, even in snow up to bumper level. Lots of fun punching through drifts and taking the unploughed way home.

·
Registered
soon, an OBS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm sure i was driving well under the limits of the car - it was just so much fun working the car on the dirt/gravel/cinder roads.

my 93 jetta was crazy in the snow - it ate it up. my old neighbor could not get over how well it did - i didn't bother to shovel it out, just put it in gear and drove to the store.

i can't imagine how nice the OBS is going to do.

stock rubber has gots ta go - once they are worn out ;)

-steve

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
I did some of that myself this weekend trying to scout out some good forest service roads to go car camping in a few weeks. Did not make it to WV though, just GW National Forest around Front Royal.

The stock rubber is not that bad in snow as long as it is relatively new. And a larger 20mm bar will help for sure, but it will also make that rear end a little easier to come around. :)

·
Registered
soon, an OBS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you say camping? i'm down with some camping :) i know some great scenic places to go and the scooby can take me there without fail.

-steve

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
congrats on you're first K!

if you're not slidin' you're not drivin'! :D

I find when there are buckets of rain falling from the sky, mounds of snow, or ice coating the roads- I tend to focus on the road surface and traffic and end up going faster the more I'm concentrating. the OBS is an extremely capable vehicle in most conditions.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
da-baron said:
did you say camping? i'm down with some camping :) i know some great scenic places to go and the scooby can take me there without fail.

-steve

Yeah, since we want to take my 2 year old son on his first camping trip soon, I am trying to find some good places that aren't campgrounds that I can drive in to. Know of any?

·
Registered
soon, an OBS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Green Ridge State Forest in Maryland. nice gravel/dirt roads. fishing in the potomac, hiking on the C&O canal.

-steve

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I have to admit, Maryland has an impressive selection of terrain for parks, from Assateague to the Appalachians.

I've had my OB at Assateague, but I didn't have the kit they require for taking the beach trail (jack, rope, boards, etc.) In retrospect, I'll bet I would have been fine, but you can't argue against their rules.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
da-baron said:
Green Ridge State Forest in Maryland. nice gravel/dirt roads. fishing in the potomac, hiking on the C&O canal.

-steve
Ah, I wish that was a little closer. That looks great. I am trying to find something sorta close by in case the little guy freaks out sleeping in a tent for the first time.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
i'm not much help as far as camping places in Points East, but if anyone is planning a trip out to New Mexico or Texas, i can tell you about a lot of good places. like the hot springs in the Jemez Mountains (volcanic caldera 15-20 mi across) where you can soak in 107 degree water as snow falls around you.

bw

1 - 12 of 12 Posts