Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with about 124,000 miles on it. I had my torque converter replaced around 80k miles and she has been driving fine since.

Today, I go to turn on the car and it starts up fine. I move the shift knob down, but it feels very loose. Up on the dashboard, the light indicator says that my car is in "P" (Park), regardless of where I slide the shift knob. I can't get my car to go into Neutral, Reverse, or Drive.

When I look at the engine, I can see the shift cable moving the tiniest bit (maybe half a centimeter back and forth) when I have someone else moving the shift knob back and forth. I'm wondering if it's a bad shift cable? Also, after this problem appeared, I once saw the "At Oil Level" light flash when I turned on the car. Could it be a bad transmission again with the CVT engine?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
722 Posts
richie1248,

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. My money is on the shift cable or shift linkage has gone bad or has come loose.

The procedure to adjust the cable at the tranny linkage involves dropping the front and rear exhaust, removing the exhaust cover to get at the linkage assembly. At that point (New cable or the old one its the same procedure), with the shift lever in Neutral, adjust the cable nut on the cable before the linkage arm (nut on the same side as the rubber cable gaiter)until it just touches the linkage arm. Hold that nut in place with a wrench while tightening the nut after the linkage to 5.5 foot lbs.

Gene

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Gene! Yeah, I'm also still thinking it has something to do with the shift cable. I'm getting it towed to a shop tomorrow and will update on what they say.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts