Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
08 Outback XT Limited MT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This pin is the bane of my last 2 days. My baby is sitting on jackstands with new bushings all through the shift linkage and a new short shifter and a new shift knuckle (the whole reason I started this project) and 4 hours of pounding on a pin punch with a hammer later I am no closer to reinstalling this pin and being able to drive and test out all my new parts.
Is there some magic trick to installing this that I missed? I did make SOME progress in those hours I guess since I did get the two pieces of the new one separated but I can't get the big piece to even seat into the hole on the new knuckle, all that happens is the knuckle and the shaft from the transmission slide apart and get out of alignment with every hammer strike.
I did drop the crossmember to try to get a better angle but didn't help.
Finally giving up for the night but if anyone has any great ideas for the morning....
Thanks.
(And yes, I've been web searching and can't find anything useful either. People say 'it took me hours and sucked' but not 'this is what finally worked' as far as I've seen :( )

·
Registered
08 Outback XT Limited MT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ultimately had success installing the pin. I froze it overnight but I don't think that especially helped as it was my 2nd new trick attempt that got it in. Here are a few links I found helpful in approaching the problem:
Removing the "bitch pin" without using a hammer

What ultimately made sense for me with the tools I had at hand was to take one of the pin punches whose business end slid freely through the bigger pin, slide the pin down onto its shoulder, and use that to drive it. It was still a pain but at least then it stayed lined up and the force went the right way. Once it was well started I switched to the bigger punch to avoid flaring out the end of the pin. The smaller pin was easy peasy.

Ultimately the solution was to quit worrying so much about potentially deforming the pin. I guess that makes sense. That little sucker was sure resilient to anything I tried to do to it on purpose!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts