Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IN 2011 I bought my first Subaru, a 6-cylinder Outback Premium, primarily for my wife to drive. Both of us love this car, and now at 2 and 1/2 years we are up to 60,000 miles. When my son wrecked my old Honda CR-V a year ago I knew I wanted another Subaru, but to keep the cost down we got a 2012 Impreza hatchback, which only comes with the 4 cylinder engine. If I had to do it over again I would spend the extra $10K and get another Outback. The Impreza drives pretty well, but despite lacking the strong power and acceleration of the 6-cyl Outback it gets just a few more miles mpg than does the Outback. It is much, much more noisy than the Outback. My wife hates the Impreza and feels it is just a slow, boring car especially when compared to the Outback. Since the original Outback was for her primarily, I get the Impreza as my car. In so many ways the Outback is a superior vehicle, not the least of it is the higher ground clearance which makes it MUCH better at handling the deep snow on the roads. I've decided to wait for the 2014 models and then hope to trade in the Impreza and become a two Outback family. And BTW, with 60K mileage on my Outback we have had ZERO problems and our only cost has been scheduled maintenance. We even have the original tires which still have plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Just like you' got my first subaru back in 2010. Also, a 3.6r. Love this car. Even though I have to give up over 20 mpg compared to my old car. Just love the space, decent handling compare to other suv, and winter driving.
That h6 is nice....esp is only 2-3k extra over the h4 and only a few mpg hit.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
Where were you guys in 2011 when I was debating 4cyl -vs- 6cyl?

We bought the 4cyl because "everybody" seemed to be saying it was good-enough.

It wasn't. Wound up trading it away.

If we had bought the 6-cyl to start with, we'd still have it and would have saved thousands -vs- this 2013 RDX.

·
Registered
320 Posts
IN 2011 I bought my first Subaru, a 6-cylinder Outback Premium, primarily for my wife to drive. Both of us love this car, and now at 2 and 1/2 years we are up to 60,000 miles. When my son wrecked my old Honda CR-V a year ago I knew I wanted another Subaru, but to keep the cost down we got a 2012 Impreza hatchback, which only comes with the 4 cylinder engine. If I had to do it over again I would spend the extra $10K and get another Outback. The Impreza drives pretty well, but despite lacking the strong power and acceleration of the 6-cyl Outback it gets just a few more miles mpg than does the Outback. It is much, much more noisy than the Outback. My wife hates the Impreza and feels it is just a slow, boring car especially when compared to the Outback. Since the original Outback was for her primarily, I get the Impreza as my car. In so many ways the Outback is a superior vehicle, not the least of it is the higher ground clearance which makes it MUCH better at handling the deep snow on the roads. I've decided to wait for the 2014 models and then hope to trade in the Impreza and become a two Outback family. And BTW, with 60K mileage on my Outback we have had ZERO problems and our only cost has been scheduled maintenance. We even have the original tires which still have plenty of tread left.
You won't be waiting for the remodel?

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I would spend the extra $10k and get a WRX or Forester XT if performance is really what you want...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts