Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I threw a rod bearing on my engine not too long ago. Looks like I need a new engine, my shop quoted me $2500 + tax (CAD) to put in a new used engine (180k) with a 4 month warranty.

Is it worth it?

In the last 2.5 years since I bought it (@ 280k), I did front cv axle, spark plugs, spark plug wires (twice), timing belt, valve cover, tires and brakes...

Been looking at other used outbacks (in a manual) and even at a new 2017 outback but unsure of whether I should dump this much money into it.

New to cars so don't really know what else could go wrong, my shop says I am up to date on all my maintenance but I know that it's getting pretty old?

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I have a '99 with almost 500k on it. Can you buy another car for $2500? Are you happy with the car? Does it meet your needs? Do you want to make $500+ car payments for 5 years or more?

All questions to ask before you make one choice or another. In my opinion, better the devil you know. You could buy another car and have more problems.

I struggled with the same choice about 8 years ago and went with an overhauled engine. Cost about twice what you are being quoted (used engine) but in my opinion looking back, it was the best choice for me at the time.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
No way I would spend money on a replacement engine with 180k miles. Get a remanufactured onr that has a 12/12 warranty if that is the way you want to go.

It's a 20 year old car. No way to predict what else can go wrong.

·
Registered
'08 3.0R Limited Sedan; '09 Outback 3.0R
152 Posts
No way I would spend money on a replacement engine with 180k miles. Get a remanufactured onr that has a 12/12 warranty if that is the way you want to go.

It's a 20 year old car. No way to predict what else can go wrong.
180km = 111k miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
we have this thread for people with dead/ almost dead Ej25d

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...248329-ej22-swap-into-ej25d-dohc-vehicle.html

it is about going from the worst engine to the best engine the company made.

does that quoted EJ25D have new head gaskets, on machined heads, new main bearing, all new oil seals, ? ...if not it may leak and or fail in a few months anyway.

and I know how buying used subaru parts in canada is a drag. like its easier to sell your car for parts then find parts for it.

I was in a pick and pull last year in NY state, and saw 8 1996-1999 outbacks,...without rust or dents, (with 4 more with rust). ...presumably they were all there with dead engines....and no way for their original owners to get something for them financially.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
Yea, things will be going bad at +200k miles [320 km]. Things like windshield wiper motor, starter, ball joints, rusted out break lines, wheel bearings, faulty MAF, etc. As a previous poster said, you can't predict what will go wrong, but my experience is that something will go wrong at timing of about once/yr. Of course, this is a lot better then a lot of other mgfs. Especially if the OP is in Canada, these are expensive problems. In the US, a person can correct a lot of what goes wrong by DIY and local junk yards at very low cost, and at low cost repair shops.

So I would say no, don't spend to replace the motor, at least, not in Canada.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
180km = 111k miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Still way more miles than I would pay for a used replacement.

Of course the OP's post states 180k not 180km.
new used engine (180k) with a 4 month warranty

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,256 Posts
Here's my way at looking at it:

Is the body clean with no rust? Is No, then it is not worth putting much into it. If Yes, it may be worth it, depending on your financial situation.

Can you afford to fix the immediate problem, then spend maybe $1K a year in further parts replacement?

Can you do a lot of the work yourself, or would you always have to pay a professional mechanic?

If you can do most of the repairs yourself, do you have the ability to suddenly have to spend an unscheduled weekend fixing something unexpected?

How much will you save a year on insurance compared to a new(er) car?

These are all questions that only you can answer.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
. Especially if the OP is in Canada, these are expensive problems. In the US, a person can correct a lot of what goes wrong by DIY and local junk yards at very low cost, and at low cost repair shops.

So I would say no, don't spend to replace the motor, at least, not in Canada.
Yup, you're correct. We have no mechanics or junkyards in Canada. We have to bring our cars to the US to fix them. Dude, are you for real?

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
Hey guys,

So I threw a rod bearing on my engine not too long ago. Looks like I need a new engine, my shop quoted me $2500 + tax (CAD) to put in a new used engine (180k) with a 4 month warranty.

Is it worth it?

In the last 2.5 years since I bought it (@ 280k), I did front cv axle, spark plugs, spark plug wires (twice), timing belt, valve cover, tires and brakes...

Been looking at other used outbacks (in a manual) and even at a new 2017 outback but unsure of whether I should dump this much money into it.

New to cars so don't really know what else could go wrong, my shop says I am up to date on all my maintenance but I know that it's getting pretty old?
I have an 03 Outback with 317,000 km and I like it so much that I bought another one with 325,000km. Now, they are both 3.0 H6 cars, which may or may not last any longer than an H4 with the same maintenance, but if you really like driving your car, then fix it. I would look into a used JDM engine out of the Toronto or Montreal area.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still way more miles than I would pay for a used replacement.

Of course the OP's post states 180k not 180km.
Here's my way at looking at it:

Is the body clean with no rust? Is No, then it is not worth putting much into it. If Yes, it may be worth it, depending on your financial situation.

Can you afford to fix the immediate problem, then spend maybe $1K a year in further parts replacement?

Can you do a lot of the work yourself, or would you always have to pay a professional mechanic?

If you can do most of the repairs yourself, do you have the ability to suddenly have to spend an unscheduled weekend fixing something unexpected?

How much will you save a year on insurance compared to a new(er) car?

These are all questions that only you can answer.
I can afford to fix it, but it'd be pushing my comfort zone financially at the moment.

I keep looking at financing a new car (used manual transmission outbacks seem to be hard to find) and can't quite cough up the $400-$500 a month in financing for 5-7 years.

I think I can figure out how to fix things that don't require a garage or things that are super complicated, I am a 10 year bicycle mechanic so I do know my way around tools a bit.

It does make throwing $2.5k at it tempting, if it gets me a car back, but I don't think I am thinking about this objectively at the moment...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts