Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently trying to purchase a 2012 Outback 3.6r limited with 116K miles for starting price at 10.950. With dealer fees and 3% the loan would be for $13+K.
Everyone is telling me it's not a good deal and the mileage is too high, but it is in excellent condition from what I can tell.
I'm considering buying and selling in 2 years to break even and then just get a lower milage model. What do you guys think? No one around knows about Subarus.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same year and model with slightly less mileage. The 5 speed auto and 6 cylinder engine is a powerful combo that isn't available anymore.Check the maintenance history to see if they kept up with spark plugs, differential fluid changes, possibly transmission fluid change, and anything with drive belts/pulleys, in addition to regular oil changes. If it was well maintained and you can haggle the price down it might be worthwhile. Most importantly, have a separate Subaru mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection and get a full report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Premier w/206K miles.
38 Posts
The price doesn't appear to be unreasonable. I wouldn't count dealer fees and loan costs as part of the price (though I would negotiate any dealer fees out).

As for mileage I just purchased a 2011 Outback 3.6R Premier (a level down from the Limited) with 206K miles. It's in great shape and an inspection didn't find anything major with it. I'd say at this mileage maintenance and care are important factors. A 2012 with 116K miles is not unusual (it's approximately 11K miles/year which is lower than the average of 15K miles/year).

My recommendation is to take it to an independent mechanic who specializes in Subaru's for a pre-purchase inspection. Based on that inspection you can negotiate a lower price for items requiring attention or buy with more confidence.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,618 Posts
I am currently trying to purchase a 2012 Outback 3.6r limited with 116K miles for starting price at 10.950. With dealer fees and 3% the loan would be for $13+K.
Everyone is telling me it's not a good deal and the mileage is too high, but it is in excellent condition from what I can tell.
I'm considering buying and selling in 2 years to break even and then just get a lower milage model. What do you guys think? No one around knows about Subarus.
10 year old car at was drive 12K a year that is not a bad price. 1.5 years ago I paid 9200 for a 2010 3.6R with 140K on it.

·
Registered
2002 H6 Bean 4EAT ~250000
124 Posts
I wouldn't recommend someone buying a car and only keeping it for two years unless they are running clunkers to the ground. Is getting a lower milage model now an option? Depending on your state, transaction cost for cars can be pretty high. If you trade it in (even the day after buying) you will take a huge depreciation hit.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
512 Posts
Actually, not a horrible price for the 3.6R, as they do get a bit of a premium, having now been discontinued. My Subaru happens to be as 2012 3.6R Limited, fully loaded, including the HK Audit & Navigation, just with quite bit fewer miles (71k), and that sure wouldn't be near enough for me to part with her.

·
Registered
'10 Outback Ltd 3.6R '21 Outback Ltd XT Former '04 FXT
28 Posts
If your prospective purchase of the 3.6R checks out as far as condition / maintenance / Carfax / etc. & you buy it...you will likely find that your decision to trade for a lower mileage vehicle was quite premature & won't part with it easily as many of us 3.6R owners already know. Good luck in your research / negotiation...

Reactions: sunny5280

·
Registered
19 Posts
YES. I bought the 2012 3.6R last year with 78,000 kms and love it. A great drive & economy is ok (of course not as good as a 4 cylinder).

Pros: 17" inch wheels, not as heavy to change wheel if you get a puncture; sunroof, easy vision from rear windows (not like those tear drop small windows on some of the other marques); 91 0ctane fuel, good radio/sterio.

Cons: GPS/SatNav is a little crappy but once you figure it out you won't get lost.

The only slight downside is with the spare wheel; hard to pump up unless you remove it from the boot. Best to get a 6 inch valve extension and then you can check the air without removing the wheel;)

Cheers.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,315 Posts
Buy it if you have not already done so. Previously had an Aussie 2012 3.6 with the 5EAT and now a 2015. The 5EAT does have a tendency to suffer from torque converter shudder just be mindful of this. Not a deal breaker though.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,315 Posts
91 0ctane fuel
US equivalent is 89 octane. Being American they have to be different or should I say difficult ;). Their octane rating is a combination of MON and RON. Us Aussies are simple folk and just use RON.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts