Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for pros and cons........there would be about a $6,000 difference. Looking at 2018 with 30,000 miles compared to new 2020?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,572 Posts
I would buy my 2018 again today. The 2018 headunit display is already too big and too complex for me. I do not want more size and complexity there. Also, the 2018 has a center console that feels less cramped.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
154 Posts
I'm cheap and like saving money. No complaints buying an 18 with 24k on it. Let someone else take the new car depreciation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am cheaper than most and I got a 2010 OB 3.6R with 140K on the odo...

Got it for $9200 (after state fees and tax of $770) put about $400 into it so far (routine maint, like trans fluid, ps fluid, sway bar bushings, oil change, etc) ... everything I need in the car and despite what others might say, it is pretty quick for a lifted wagon...

If I were to buy a new generation, I would wit a few model years to see what bugs show up.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
If I were to buy a new generation, I would wit a few model years to see what bugs show up.
I hear this a lot. However, it does not really make sense with a car maker like Subaru. The base car does not change much, even to the next generation. So, the systemic problems in the base are unlikely to show up suddenly. Subaru adds features every year. So, every year could have glitches. In the 5th generation, the 2018 (fourth year in generation) head unit appears to be the most problematic widespread issue. But note it is a problem that this site causes to seem worse than it is. (Side note, my 2018 has not had headunit issues.) People want to blame the 2018 headunit issues on the refresh, but I call it coincidence. It was a new feature added. Every new feature has no track record. The 2019 (last year in generation) is not without its issues, just like every other year. But 2019 should be perfect, right?

Basically, buy the year that fits your desired features without waiting years just to see if glitches show up.

·
Registered
486 Posts
^ new chassis, new turbo, new infotainment.... definitely want to see if the bugs are worked out. Remember this unit is now on global platform, always wise to wait out a year or 2

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
^ new chassis, new turbo, new infotainment.... definitely want to see if the bugs are worked out. Remember this unit is now on global platform, always wise to wait out a year or 2
OK, you got me on the turbo, but my mind was on the 2.5. New chasis is not going to have weird issues. Even if the new chassis did have issues, is Subaru going to redesign the chassis globally for 2021 or 2022? I highly doubt it. Even if they did redesign the chassis, we then have a newer new chassis that needs to be tested in the market. The infotainment system will change yearly. So, new possible issues will be there every year. I stand by my post above.

It would be different if Subaru was keeping all the same features and just fixing issues, but that is not what they are doing.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
679 Posts
2019 3.6

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I present to you the Subaru ascent that did have structural issues in the first year.... (improper welds/missing welds)
293 Ascents were recalled, and of those 293, only 9 were actually sold. The glitch in production was over the span of just one week. That was a glitch that could happen any year, not just first year.

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Could, but highly unlikely on a second year + vehicle.
Well, I gotta see the stats. Anyway, that example would not cause me to avoid first year cars. YMMV

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
707 Posts
Funny, I started this venture with the exact same decision.. My local subaru dealer had a mint 2018 Limited w 21K miles on it for advertized for $26000. I went to look at it and had the sales person bring out an identical 2020 Limited to compare. (The difference was going to be about $6K between the two as I recall). I liked the 18' well enough but the 20' just felt (and drove) like a tighter and more expensive vehicle. I reasoned that for a years worth of payments I would be getting a year and a halfs worth of mileage and a fresh warrenty with the 20' ( along with other improvements) so.... It all worked out real well right up until I drove a XT. Then the budget got blown .... No regrets though. 5-6 years of payments is a long time to regret buying the wrong car.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,364 Posts
Similar decision for me, except the choice was between a new 2020, probably an Onyx, or buying my leased 2017 Premium. For me the whole monthly payment thing made the decision and I just didn't want to go there again. Over the three year lease (which I did because I had my doubts about liking a car-like vehicle and I didn't want to buy until I knew for sure) I saved up enough money to be able to pay cash for my '17 at lease end. I just completed that transaction and now my monthly payments go into savings so hopefully I won't have to finance my next one either whenever I decide to replace this one.
I loved the 2020 but really there just wasn't enough there to get me to go back into debt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts