Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Prem., Manual & 2012 2.5i Limited, CVT
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We have had our GREEN, Manual, 2012 Outback for about 1.5 years. We have about 16K miles on the car, and LOVE everything about the car. We have the premium (mid-level) car.

My Dad bought a GRAY 2012 Outback a few months after us. His has about 11k miles. He is probably going to be selling it this spring or summer. His car is perfect too. No problems with it. He bought the full warranty and service like us (which is transferable). The only reason he might be selling is that he bought another car and is just going to be moving on. His is the Limited and fully loaded.

My wife would prefer the AUTO, while I LOVE manual, so there is no issue who would take either car.

We would get a great price on it, it is a 'known' car, and we would pay not MD sales tax (selling a car within family you don't have too).

We were planning to buy our next car in the next year or so.........Now we are seriously considering grabbing this car. If we decide it was a mistake, I figure we can sell it again, and not lose too much (if anything) because my dad lost the 'new car' depreciation, and will sell it to us for a great price.

SO? Would it be ridiculous to own TWO 2012 Outbacks?? Anyone else have two of them?? Opinions?

Thanks,

FLAGG

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Sounds good, one for you and one for her.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
No I have owned multiple models like BMW M3's and I am planning to look at the 14 Forester and OB in a couple months. If you find something that does it all why not...

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
Go for it. Unless you specifically want some other car for your next car, then why not? It would sure make it easy, when you or your wife drive the other's car. Except for the clutch vs auto, no reaching in the wrong direction for a control, only to remember that you are in the other car. :)

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
If your dad is willing to eat the first year's depreciation, I'd say go for it (SAS transfer is $35, I think). I truly suspect that you will not be able to find one "on the lot" for the same price - or even close.

·
Registered
'15 Forester 2.5 CVT
198 Posts
If you don't take this car, can I have it for that price ?;)
Seriously, don't lose this opportunity to buy a good «known» car at a bargain price !

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Good deal, but I don't love the OB enough that I would own two!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
If your dad is willing to eat the first year's depreciation, I'd say go for it (SAS transfer is $35, I think). I truly suspect that you will not be able to find one "on the lot" for the same price - or even close.
+1

If you want it, get it. This is a win/win as far as I am concerned.
Only goofy thing is the His/Her's cars...... Kinda corny.
But really, that wouldn't stop me.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
If you are good with the suspension then get the second Safe Comfortable Large Fuel Efficient OB. Dad, fully loaded, warranty....How can you not buy it if you can afford it?

For size, AWD capabililty, and overall value nothing comes close IMO. Not Audi, not Toyota, not Acura, not Hyundai, not Ford, not Kia, nada.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's a great deal if you want to have basically two of the same cars. You get a car that is just basically "broken in" and get it for a price that is less the first year depreciation (which is the largest one year depreciation....just look at Edmund's "Cost To Own").

However, for me, if I have two cars in my household, I would want two different kinds of vehicles so I had something different to drive.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
114 Posts
Keeping your wife happy with the nicer car is an excellent idea. No maintenance worries either and your Dad will be happy that his car found a good home. Why hesitate?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow - Thanks for all the quick responses! One of the great things about the car is the fun of being on this forum!

I think we are definitely going to 'borrow' the 2nd Gray Outback for a couple weeks from my Dad.......and then make out decision. I will update on what we decide to do.

Other factors is that we have a 4 and 6 year old - and shopping for cars is a really hassle. We are looking to each have a car that would work for the kids - regardless of what hobbies they get into.

I would give her the Garage spot, and we know it fits perfect and I would not even have to move the tire stop inside the garage. It would just be too easy......Even keeping track of maintenance and stuff would be simplified.....I will let my wife make the final decision.......

QUESTION: Do you think the 2012 Outback is going to be a reliable car of the longterm? We have had NO issues so far (neither has my Dad). We have never owned a Subaru before. It is scary to think of ending up with too bad choices of of the same model year, 5 years down the road.............But from what I have read, I don't think that would happen. Opinions?

Thanks for all the thoughts!

FLAGG

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Should be ok, if properly maintained; however, you never can know for sure. Have a lot of neighbors that have '99 and '00 models. These did have head gasket issues after a while (like last year).

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Seems like an easy "yes" to me. You know the car, will get a good price, and you've both already (apparently) decided you like the Outback - so I'd go for it. Sure, maybe it's sooner than planned, but the list of positives seem to outweigh the negatives. We once owned two VW Passats (1999 & 2000) because the Mrs. and I loved those cars.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wife is now 'testing' the car. We really know the exact car - she is just getting used to the extra features and the color and stuff. I think we are going to do this. I am going to let the wife make the final call...........

I will post back soon and let you know if I am a (2) 2012 Outback owner........

FLAGG

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
IMO the car is not that great that I would own two. Check out some other vehicles. Just because it is a good deal does not make it a good buy.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just an update of the decision. We are Buying the 2nd Outback. So for better or for worse, we now own (2) 2012 Outbacks.

Dboz - yeah you are right - the car is NOT that great to own two. If things were timed different I would have bought a smaller car for myself. But the OUTBACK is pretty great, and my Dad is going to sell his to us at a screaming good deal. The cars work great for my family.....can do everything.........are are definitely good purchases for this point in my life...........

So here they are:

1) Green, Premium, Manual (I will drive)

2) Gray, Limited, Automatic, Loaded with everything. (my wife will drive)

FLAGG

1 - 20 of 22 Posts