Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up outback fam - Im starting a new job in a couple of weeks and my office will be less than half a mile from my house. It doesn’t make much sense to drive such a short distance, so I’ll probably ride my bike to work.

I don’t have a garage so my 2010 outback will be parked most of the week outside of my house. Is there anything I should do to make sure the car stays in good condition?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
What I did when I walked to work was shopped at a grocery store that was about 10 miles away. That way my truck was used at least once a week for a significant distance. I still do that today with the truck, which is no 31 years old and in retirement. Once a week I'll take him on about a 20 mile drive if I haven't otherwise used him.

Actually right now I'm doing that for all my vehicles with Covid-19.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
893 Posts
With the stay-at-home order I put both my cars on electronically controlled trickle chargers. I have a weatherproof unit from Battery Tender, and both cars have a harness hardwired so I can just plug the charger in - don't have to use alligator clips or have the hood open to charge. I also try to take them both for a drive about once a week until they're fully warmed up.

If you're parked outside in the same spot I'd say make sure it's waxed regularly and also that you protect the interior from sun damage - perhaps a windshield sun shade. Same for the headlights - you can get special car care products with UV protection to avoid them hazing over.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the stay-at-home order I put both my cars on electronically controlled trickle chargers. I have a weatherproof unit from Battery Tender, and both cars have a harness hardwired so I can just plug the charger in - don't have to use alligator clips or have the hood open to charge. I also try to take them both for a drive about once a week until they're fully warmed up.

If you're parked outside in the same spot I'd say make sure it's waxed regularly and also that you protect the interior from sun damage - perhaps a windshield sun shade. Same for the headlights - you can get special car care products with UV protection to avoid them hazing over.
How do you hardwire a harness to plug it in? Is that an easy job or something shop should do?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
893 Posts
How do you hardwire a harness to plug it in? Is that an easy job or something shop should do?
You can easily do it yourself. The kit comes with three parts - the charger itself; an alligator clip harness; and a hardwire harness. To hardwire I removed the positive terminal nut; put the positive lead on and secured the nut back on; and then for the negative I found a screw/bolt for the fuse box that lead to chassis (ground); so I removed the fastener; put the negative lead on, and put the bolt on again to secure the lead and the fuse box.

Here's what the kit looks like:

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,546 Posts
This is actually a great question especially now during the global covid pandemic. I normally drive 190km round trip to work 5 days a week. now I am working from home and the car...both suby’s...are sitting in the driveway. Best thing to do is to take the car out a couple times a week for 10-20 minutes. It will keep the rust off the rotors...which will keep them from seizing up...and keep everything lubed up.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
190 Posts
Squirrels like to nest in vehicles that are sitting idle for some time, especially when it's cold. And they REALLY love to chew on wires. Don't ask how I know.....frickin tree rats (although I do love to watch them, they're so cute, ... frickin tree rats !!) :)

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,091 Posts
Here's one for the OCD'ers...
Rotate how your car is parked so the sun works on different views of the car to even out the fading. This can also help prolong the interior plastics.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,977 Posts
Here's one for the OCD'ers...
Rotate how your car is parked so the sun works on different views of the car to even out the fading. This can also help prolong the interior plastics.
good point:
headlight globes / taillight globe plastic = does not like sunlight all the time.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
822 Posts
As previously mentioned, a good 10 or 15-mile highway jaunt at least once a week is a great way to keep the fluids moving and the components exercised.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
948 Posts
I start my car once every 2 weeks and let it run long enough to get up to temp and put a charge on the battery... (it has storage insurance on it) the other 2 cars I rotate every few days since my wife is at home.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
445 Posts
I have a Miata that essentially sits in the garage all winter is Western Massachusetts. I do keep a charger on it most of the time but otherwise do nothing else. If it were to be warmer weather I'd probably do nothing at all, assuming the battery in question were in decent shape. I owned boats for many years and initially we would take the batteries out and stores them in the garage, periodically putting charger on them, back before "smart" chargers were even though of. Later on I left the batteries in the boat and would put said charger on them from time to time just to be "sure". I never had issues. You are talking about a late model vehicle with many electronic devises that won't go bad and sitting for perhaps a week or so unused is nothing. Think about car dealers. they have many vehicles that sit idle for long periods of time. True they have entire mechanical shops at their fingertips but things don't go bad as a general rule. DOn't overthink this. And good luck with your job! Oh yeah, for 1/2 mile I'd walk! It's better for you anyway!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
Oh yeah, for 1/2 mile I'd walk! It's better for you anyway!
Seriously! I live nearly 1.5 miles from the local Safeway and if I'm going for just a couple of bags of stuff I'll walk. So that's almost 3 miles total, the second half carrying stuff.

I remember my mom used to drive about 3 blocks to work. Once somehow managing to get pulled over for speeding on the way! o_O

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
822 Posts
I love walking and hiking for 10 to 12 miles or more at a stretch but this time of year when temperatures are often in the 80s, after a half-mile I am so sweat-soaked that I look as if I had just climbed out of a pond. So if I need to look (and smell) halfway presentable when I get to my destination, walking is not an option for me.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,546 Posts
Squirrels like to nest in vehicles that are sitting idle for some time, especially when it's cold. And they REALLY love to chew on wires. Don't ask how I know.....frickin tree rats (although I do love to watch them, they're so cute, ... frickin tree rats !!) :)
this picture says it all.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wyoming. High altitude living. Summer is coming up and it rarely gets over 80 degrees (f).
DOH! Sorry, didn't look at your name. )o:

OK, a few things. Like was mentioned, squirrel proof..... Here in the PNW, I've already had mice chew on the wiring of my wifes Honda....... A new dryer sheet(s) ziptied to a location(s) near what they may chew! Worked here and I replace every 6 months or so. Also, take a new dryer sheet and hang it inside, from the light or sunroof. This will keep flying critters (think gnats) from entering. They hate the smell and it can (almost) give a "fresh car" smell.

Got trees in your area? Don't park beneath them! If you can't, get a good car cover or find a covered parking spot. Got good friends? Ask?

Yes, if it's sitting outside, especially in the winter, a good trickle charger and ext cord. You can also pull the battery and bring it into a warmer environment. This is really only suggested for winter time sitting.

Just a few things that come to mind.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts