Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,407 Posts
Your biggest threat may be human-caused - a parked car left idle for an extended time tends to be a magnet for vandalism.

And also, with the epidemic going on, people have radially changed their habits. One might think there would be a lot more eyes about the neighborhoods in the daytime with many people now working from home, but anecdotally in my neighborhood there has recently been an increase in petty crimes like theft, vandalism, etc. I suppose the businesses that have closed are not the draw any longer because they've hired security patrols, kept skeleton crews around, etc. so all of this now moves on into the neighborhoods.

·
Registered
2015 Forester & 2016 Outback
21 Posts
I have two Subarus: my Forester & my wife's Outback.
Area is Washington DC.
One car sits in the driveway one sits in the garage.
Once a week I take one car after another on a 20' drive, 2/3s of it on Interstates.
I have the computer on my car set to display the oil temp and I saw on this forum that operating temp is 190 degrees.
I get both cars up to this temp once a week, so I think I am good.
And it gives me 40' out of the house, away from the wife, and it's so quiet and peaceful and there is NO traffic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What’s up outback fam - Im starting a new job in a couple of weeks and my office will be less than half a mile from my house. It doesn’t make much sense to drive such a short distance, so I’ll probably ride my bike to work.

I don’t have a garage so my 2010 outback will be parked most of the week outside of my house. Is there anything I should do to make sure the car stays in good condition?
You might want to invest in a car cover. That would mitigate any issues from the sun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in the high country in Colorado, and I've had mice bring nuts into the heater blower, and had a mid 80's wagon totaled in the late 90's because a mouse (or something) died in the air conditioner. If you are at any kind of altitude, the sun is your worst enemy, so even a car cover is my recommendation, or if you have wind shelter, one of those pipe and canvas car covers.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i
34 Posts
What’s up outback fam - Im starting a new job in a couple of weeks and my office will be less than half a mile from my house. It doesn’t make much sense to drive such a short distance, so I’ll probably ride my bike to work.

I don’t have a garage so my 2010 outback will be parked most of the week outside of my house. Is there anything I should do to make sure the car stays in good condition?
Once a week go for a short drive - 15-20 minutes - enough to heat the oil up to 200-degrees / normal operating temperature to burn-off any internal condensation that may accumulate. Just starting the car in the driveway doesn't warm the oil up enough - you have to go drive it to achieve the higher oil temperature. Also, for outside, give it a good UV waxing and / or a car cover.

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
402 Posts
Squirrels like to nest in vehicles that are sitting idle for some time, especially when it's cold. And they REALLY love to chew on wires. Don't ask how I know.....frickin tree rats (although I do love to watch them, they're so cute, ... frickin tree rats !!) :)
Tree rats like pigeons (flying cockroach} are good target practice when you get bored sitting home, Simply roll back sun roof and exercise the whisper air gun. Set up food traps to lure them to safe target ares.

·
Registered
2015 Outback
7 Posts

If you have an assigned parking space, you could use a good car cover. Make sure your battery connections are clean and secure, maybe a neutral terminal disconnect switch.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,092 Posts
Back a loong time ago I covered my car on the driveway with a high quality Kimberly-Clark Evolution3 material custom car cover. It was a great cover: waterproof, breathable.
I really liked that cover. Unfortunately, so did the neighborhood cats. It became their favorite scratching post.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Limited Manual EJ25
86 Posts
I've read from multiple sources that a lot of, if not most, mechanical wear on an engine occurs at starting. I don't drive daily and find that if leave my Outback (EJ25 motor) idle for more than 9-10 days there is a touch of metal-on-metal squeal when it's started. My car is guaranteed a long trip at least every three weeks so I just make sure it gets used in between, even if just a short trip.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited | 1994 Volvo 945 Heritage Club Member
23 Posts

I have an old Wrangler that we use for summer driving, I make a point to start it and run it for at least 20 minutes every sunday rain or shine. It keeps things moving. Maybe you add in once a month (or twice, whatever) a few trips around the block to keep things fluid.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ EyeSight
258 Posts
I'm digging the monthly fillups. I filled up yesterday and had to check my bank statement for the previous fill up.... 3/9

I generally don't do anything special if the car is going to sit for 30 days or less. For longer than 30 days, sure! Start it up, drive around for a few as recommended in other posts.

My Outback is not a garage queen or collectible so I don't overthink it.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
192 Posts
this picture says it all.

View attachment 482088
Poor little bastards, they're just trying to stay cozy too :) But this image is indeed very disturbing to me. Back when I used to own GM vehicles, I had some wiring chewed-up in my 2013 GMC Sierra pickup. I read in the GM Forums something about soy-based (?) electrical wire covering insulation, and that the animals LOVE it. WTF. Not sure if this was only a GM thing (very cheap Chinese parts), or if this is perhaps industry standard now. I'm certainly onboard with impacting the environment as minimally as possible, but if soy-based wiring insulation is an environmentalist move, it is destroying good vehicles due to animal infestations. These tree rats need to practice social distancing !!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I live in the high country in Colorado, and I've had mice bring nuts into the heater blower, and had a mid 80's wagon totaled in the late 90's because a mouse (or something) died in the air conditioner. If you are at any kind of altitude, the sun is your worst enemy, so even a car cover is my recommendation, or if you have wind shelter, one of those pipe and canvas car covers.
Moth balls in an old sock, placed strategically somewhere in the engine compartment, also help to prevent infestations. The mice/squirrels hate the smell (so do I). It does work though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Moth balls in an old sock, placed strategically somewhere in the engine compartment, also help to prevent infestations. The mice/squirrels hate the smell (so do I). It does work though.
I like this idea...... but! So, what happens to the mothballs when they get wet? Will they/Can they drip nasty stuff onto locations you don't want it?

We get tons of moisture in the PNW and I would worry about this. I've used mothballs before, as a deterrent, but not in wet locations; I also know the balls will diminish in size (dissipate?) over time. It usually takes 6-9 months.

Your thoughts about wet conditions?
I usually use dryer sheets in wet locations but would luv to hear anyones ideas/thoughts about the mothballs..

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like this idea...... but! So, what happens to the mothballs when they get wet? Will they/Can they drip nasty stuff onto locations you don't want it?

We get tons of moisture in the PNW and I would worry about this. I've used mothballs before, as a deterrent, but not in wet locations; I also know the balls will diminish in size (dissipate?) over time. It usually takes 6-9 months.

Your thoughts about wet conditions?
I usually use dryer sheets in wet locations but would luv to hear anyones ideas/thoughts about the mothballs..
I'm in Ohio, so the sock-method secured with zipties in the engine compartment worked well for me. And you are right, they do naturally dissipate over time ; replenishing about once or twice a year is normal. I think if you are in a consistently wet/rainy region, placing the mothballs in a small tupperware container (with holes drilled in it) would work just fine. I know in my old Suburban, I had a flat spot in the engine compartment where a 2nd battery COULD go (if it were a diesel, but it wasn't). That was a good flat location to secure a mothball tupperware container Lots of real estate in that old Suburban :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts