Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza Outback
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2006 LLBean for sale locally and wanted it regardless of the condition of the motor until I got there and saw that it was an H6. The post said it needed a new starter. I’m thinking the worst.
The “rural-minded” person who came over to see what his son was doing shared that he was driving it when it failed and he is certain the timing chains failed. The story gets a little cloudy from there but it sound like it may have cranked after this but never fired. Now it won’t crank, but three-ish very quiet clicks.

This is an interference engine, so I don’t think I want to fix/replace it if there was damage. There was milk on the dipstick and radiator looked empty. I don’t mind doing head gasket but I’m not interested in bottom end work or replacing valves. Car-part starts high mileage engines at $1600, which I find absurd.

Any chance it’s just a simple head gasket?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
You can take it as a given that the car needs an engine. Presumably there is a price you're willing to pay for an '06 Outback in good running condition. If car+engine+labor/time comes in below that, you have a winner. If not, you don't.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
if it is abused like it has been you don't want to do head gaskets on it,...people that attempt them this far gone get a bad outcome.
(like it runs for 3 weeks and then fails again.).

its a bigger nastier weirder, and more expensive job then plain old EJ251 / EJ253 work.

the easy way out: a JDM imported EZ30 engine. (250hp variety vs. the slower older 212hp ones).
Ebay sellers want way to much for them sometimes. these JDMs have about 60,000 miles on them and drop in with a little more piping for the brake booster. (master cylinder is on the right side of the car in japan, in front of their driver).

some of the later faster ones are marked EZ30R, like you want. (not always with the R or the D designation,).
the one you want should have a plastic intake, the earlier 212 hp ones had metal intakes. (some of the importers would not know a subaru from a turnip and their listings show it, and some of the prices on Ebay are just awful).

here is one that is listed properly (pics have the trans on it though):
https://www.jdmnewyork.com/product/...r-6-outback-h6-tribeca-engine-only-jdm-ez30r/

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
601 Posts
if it is abused like it has been you don't want to do head gaskets on it,...people that attempt them this far gone get a bad outcome.
(like it runs for 3 weeks and then fails again.).

its a bigger nastier weirder, and more expensive job then plain old EJ251 / EJ253 work.

the easy way out: a JDM imported EZ30 engine. (250hp variety vs. the slower older 212hp ones).
Ebay sellers want way to much for them sometimes. these JDMs have about 60,000 miles on them and drop in with a little more piping for the brake booster. (master cylinder is on the right side of the car in japan, in front of their driver).

some of the later faster ones are marked EZ30R, like you want. (not always with the R or the D designation,).
the one you want should have a plastic intake, the earlier 212 hp ones had metal intakes. (some of the importers would not know a subaru from a turnip and their listings show it, and some of the prices on Ebay are just awful).

here is one that is listed properly (pics have the trans on it though):
https://www.jdmnewyork.com/product/...r-6-outback-h6-tribeca-engine-only-jdm-ez30r/
I did a JDM swap. My engine cost $1350 delivered to my front door. The alternator, PS pump and AC compressor were still on it and when I pulled the oil pan the internals looked like it just came off the line.

The swap is basically plug and play. The harness comes on the engine, unbolt the starter, flywheel and two motor mounts. There are hoses to disconnect and reconnect then you'll have to have the AC pumped down and recharged.

I got my engine from JDM in Richardson, TX. My engine started on the 5th crank and 4 months in it's doing fine!

·
Registered
2008 3.0R
73 Posts
Pass. If the car was neglected long enough that a timing chain snapped, the rest of that car is going to be trashed. New starter and needs a timing chain are complete opposites, so is needing a head gasket. Seller has no idea what it was, but at the very least the motor should be torn down if dipstick was milky.

·
Registered
2012 OB 3.6R Limited, 2006 LegacyGT
68 Posts
Yeah, did you get this?

If the dipstick was milky due to coolant leaking into the motor chances are the crank bearings are toast.

Tell them it's a piece of junk and you'll give them $300 for it since you have to tow it out of there regardless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I passed. Couldn't find a JY or JDM for less that $1500. Didn't help that there was an Odometer change sticker on the door jamb.

A friend of a friend offered his 2006 Legacy with blown head gasket for a great price. I went to the JY and pulled a 2.5 from a 2006 legacy and got all the Subaru gaskets off a guy on eBay. Plan was to rebuild the jy motor while I had time and then go swap them out in a day. Then he reneged because he didn't like his new car. Thankfully, he has agreed to let me do the work to recoup some cash. It helped that Subaru wanted $4k and was planning on honing the cylinders.

Back to the drawing board. Had a line on a possibly good 2004 wrx 2.0 engine but I just couldn't make the time to go get it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I've swapped out several motors. Two subaru's now (both Head gaskets). Read up on the H6 EZ30 and it seems to be incredibly reliable. But not very rebuildable. Always looking for a turbo with some problems. Found a Saabaru but it was in excellent shape and just didn't have the cash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Presumably there is a price you're willing to pay for an '06 Outback in good running condition. If car+engine+labor/time comes in below that, you have a winner. If not, you don't.
I'm never willing to pay retail. Bought my first 99 Impreza for $800 and did the head gaskets, timing wp, etc. Total $1200 (KBB private retail at the time $2k). Bought my second 99 forester for $500 and did head gaskets, etc, totaling $900 (KBB $2k). I almost got a 2006 for $1k and would have had about $1400 in it. It would have been worth $3500+. 40-60% of retail is about my limit for a car (after fixing it). Got a 2000 Tundra 4x4 last year for $1000 + 600 in parts now. KBB $4500. I like being cheap. I don't really flip cars, but I buy lots of cars cheap, fix them, drive them for a few years and then sell for profit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, did you get this?

If the dipstick was milky due to coolant leaking into the motor chances are the crank bearings are toast.

Tell them it's a piece of junk and you'll give them $300 for it since you have to tow it out of there regardless.
I was going to severely low-ball but it was a young couple (maybe 20) who had a baby and needed rent money. I couldn't bring myself to short changing them that much and then I'd still have to put more into it than I would want. I passed and hoped someone else will offer them what they are asking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.