Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just test drove a '16 outback limited with 89k on the dash. At certain points especially when the sun hit the screen these lines showed up all across the screen. Also it's listed as having remote start, but it wouldn't start using the fob, had to just press the button like a peasant. Aaand the front heated seats only seemed to only kinda heat up, but the rear didn't at all. Oh yeah and the passenger window switch didn't work from the driver side. Seems like there's some electrical issues going on. Right? Is the infotainment screen going out?
Automotive exterior Auto part Font Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
MY19 Outback 3.6R Premium
728 Posts
Those wiggly lines is the touch sensor array for the touchscreen. Seeing them in direct sunlight is completely normal.

Having pushbutton-start is still a good thing because you then get the tailgate access PIN code feature which you don't get with a regular key. Is remote start really that important?

Switches either need a clean or are easily replaced.

You can also go through diagnostics on the car if you hold down the Home button and press the Tune button twice for basic diagnostics and six times for the dealership menu. Allows you to test the touchscreen and various buttons on the steering wheel, GPS lock, etc to ensure everything is happy.

We don't get heated rear seats on our Gen5's so I can't comment on that (don't get remote start either). Fronts can get nice and snuggly though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those wiggly lines is the touch sensor array for the touchscreen. Seeing them in direct sunlight is completely normal.

Having pushbutton-start is still a good thing because you then get the tailgate access PIN code feature which you don't get with a regular key. Is remote start really that important?

Switches either need a clean or are easily replaced.

You can also go through diagnostics on the car if you hold down the Home button and press the Tune button twice for basic diagnostics and six times for the dealership menu. Allows you to test the touchscreen and various buttons on the steering wheel, GPS lock, etc to ensure everything is happy.

We don't get heated rear seats on our Gen5's so I can't comment on that (don't get remote start either). Fronts can get nice and snuggly though.
It's not that remote start is necessary but I believe it is supposed to have it and it's not working. That mixed with the heated seats
Back seats should be heated
They're supposed to be. The light comes on, but they don't seem to heat up.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,848 Posts
Also it's listed as having remote start, but it wouldn't start using the fob, had to just press the button like a peasant
If you have the Subaru remote start you should see an antenna next to the mirror. If you have that and no fobs, request that they be provided (AND programmed) as a condition of the sale and no additional cost. There should also be a switch under the hood, to prevent engine start with the hood open.

This would show you what the antenna looks like, it's the item in the bottom left of the image. The installation instructions are also linked, you can see where it's mounted - Subaru Remote Engine Starter - Push Start - H001SAL101 | Subaru Online Parts

That said - the engine will shut down once you open the door so you'd need to restart the car, and even if it doesn't you still would need to press the start button on the dash to confirm you're carrying the key.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
493 Posts
We had those squiggly lines on our 2016 WRX, and they may be normal, but they are unsightly. When we first got the car, they did not show up that prominently, but when we sold it 4 years later, they were significant. We don't see them on our 2018 Outback.

·
Premium Member
'05 OB 2.5i, '14 OB 3.6R
257 Posts
On my 14 outback with auto start. The doors have to be locked for the car to start with it. Once started you can unlock the doors with it still running but once you open the hatch, any passenger door or hood it stops running.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
13,663 Posts
The window switch itself could just need reset if the battery has been out recently.

Those lines in the screen are pretty normal with age.

The rear heated seats might be an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts