Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2008 n/a 5 speed manual outback
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently took out my ej25 block out of my na 2008 outback. It has had one head-gasket replaced already. i took it out because it was leaking oil out of the passenger rear cam seal. I was wondering if there are any other things that you guys would recommend I do while the engine is out of the car. It does have 160,000 on the clock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before you took it out, was the compression good? Burning oil? You could pull bearing caps to see if the bearings and journals are okay.
I did have it compression tested when I bought it only 300 miles ago and that was good. I don't think its burning a lot of oil just leaking.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,043 Posts
It should be good for around 300,000 miles. Put it back in and drive the vehicle.

Make sure you keep up to date with maintenance items like timing belt kits at the relevant times.

The most important thing to do from now on is to do your engine oil changes regularly. The engine may use some oil but this is “normal” so check it every 2000 miles or so and top up as required.

Seagrass

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
396 Posts
Yep what he said, replace the leaking seals and put it back in. Replace any hoses that would be hard to get too later on.

Us with XT's and Legacy GT's would buy a new OEM ej257 short block, have our heads rebuilt install ARP head studs and have a great DD. My EJ257 has over 134,000 trouble free miles.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,844 Posts
Is this engine subject that the leaking oil passage that bolts to the back of the block? If so, he may as well look at that as well while the engine is out.

If I were he, I'd replace all cam seals, the front and rear crank seals, and of course, to the timing belt and pulley change, and maybe the water pump.

If you want to go further, replace both head gaskets and have the valves lapped and their seals replaced.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
396 Posts
Yep, just depends on how much he wants to spend.
OP think about what is easy to do while the engine is out...how long do you plan to keep the car...?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP think about what is easy to do while the engine is out...how long do you plan to keep the car...?
I’m only sixteen so I’m planning to keep it through college. I pulled the engine myself without any help.? I found the service manual online and it gives step by step instructions to do everything it’s awesome!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m grateful to have parents that would pay for any other things like new headgaskets, water pump, etc. I have to pay for any mods though like a short shifter.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy Wagon Limited 4EAT
179 Posts
Unless the engine was showing any serious oil consumption or bad noises beforehand I would leave it alone. Rebuilding an EJ25 is a bit more difficult than normal engines and best left alone if it doesn't need it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this engine subject that the leaking oil passage that bolts to the back of the block? If so, he may as well look at that as well while the engine is out.

If I were he, I'd replace all cam seals, the front and rear crank seals, and of course, to the timing belt and pulley change, and maybe the water pump.

If you want to go further, replace both head gaskets and have the valves lapped and their seals
here is where it is leaking out of. It just started leaking a LOT suddenly on my way home from school onto the headers and this caused a bunch of smoke. I stopped right when it started leaking

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless the engine was showing any serious oil consumption or bad noises beforehand I would leave it alone. Rebuilding an EJ25 is a bit more difficult than normal engines and best left alone if it doesn't need it.
I’ll just take off the head to fix the cam seal then I guess

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
880 Posts
I replaced the front cam seals on my 08 2.5i when I replaced the timing belt 90k miles ago. I am going to replace it again soon and will replace the cam seals at that time. It only takes about 5 minutes with this tool. $13 at Amazon or most local auto parts stores.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I replaced the front cam seals on my 08 2.5i when I replaced the timing belt 90k miles ago. I am going to replace it again soon and will replace the cam seals at that time. It only takes about 5 minutes with this tool. $13 at Amazon or most local auto parts stores.

Do you have the name of this tool?

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,043 Posts
That is a very unusual place for an oil leak. That “seal” is basically a plug to plug the hole.

Looking at the photo the head is much cleaner than the engine block and I suspect the head gasket may have been replaced. If it was replaced, maybe someone also replaced that seal BUT did not apply any sealant to prevent this type of leak.

You may just need to remove the valve cover and loosen the camshaft bolts so you can pop that bung out, clean everything up and then reinstall the bung with some sealant.

Seagrass

1 - 20 of 34 Posts