Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Dyes I have used in the past only called for needing 1/2 an ounce.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Update.

So, on May 3rd I put .5 ounces of dye in the engine. Today, I looked under the car and saw dye along the right edge of oil pan upper, just where I suspected it was leaking from. See picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Now you have something to support your claim with the service advisor. Going to be hard to blame it on your drain valve.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Now you have something to support your claim with the service advisor. Going to be hard to blame it on your drain valve.
True but now I'm terrified to take it back to the dealer because this tiny leak will require them to pull my engine. I am tempted to just leave it. I actually suspect this leak has been there ever since I bought the car brand new. I only noticed it recently because I moved to a new house where the garage floor was clean, and hence I could easily spot oil drips on the garage floor.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
True but now I'm terrified to take it back to the dealer because this tiny leak will require them to pull my engine. I am tempted to just leave it. I actually suspect this leak has been there ever since I bought the car brand new. I only noticed it recently because I moved to a new house where the garage floor was clean, and hence I could easily spot oil drips on the garage floor.
No doubt in my mind it is nothing I would worry about. Over time, many engines eventually develop leaks around gaskets. I think every gen 1 small block Chevy engine ever built developed a rear main seal leak.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts